DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drifting issue and slow response...

Rusy

Reactions
The other day I took the mavic out for a Spin, (12mph winds). I sent it straight up over my house and it started drifting further and further away from me, i tried to bring back manually and if it was flying forward it was doing so at an extremely slow pace. I got nervous and had to use RTH which worked pretty well. I re calibrated RC and sent back up, same issue. I uploaded my flight to airdata, not sure if someone can tell me what the issue was by reading that info, I'm also not sure how to upload that info here for some to analyze. Lol sorry and any help would be greatly appreciated!

The other day I took the mavic out for a Spin, (12mph winds). I sent it straight up over my house and it started drifting further and further away from me, i tried to bring back manually and if it was flying forward it was doing so at an extremely slow pace. I got nervous and had to use RTH which worked pretty well. I re calibrated RC and sent back up, same issue. I uploaded my flight to airdata, not sure if someone can tell me what the issue was by reading that info, I'm also not sure how to upload that info here for some to analyze. Lol sorry and any help would be greatly appreciated!
Copy and paste the air data from your browser to the link button above.

Your winds at ground level may have been at 12 MPH but most likely higher at the altitude you were flying at.
Your airdata shows some slow response to yaw.
Did you receive any wind warnings on the Go App?

Yes, but I always get those warnings and it never felt as drastic as this where I felt like it was almost flying away. Shouldn't GPS keep it kind of close?

Thanks for looking here's the second flight up a few minutes later. Maybe you saw it already. Sorry for being so naive as to reading airdata.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Anything anyone recommends or this is normal drifting if wind is strong?

Anything anyone recommends or this is normal drifting if wind is strong?
I would consider doing a IMU calibration. This may correct your drifting issue.
Always remember that winds are higher with altitude. So, keep that in mind.
For the most part, the Mavic is a small and light aircraft and doesn't like winds over 15 mph at any given altitude.
I would suggest trying out UAV Forecast
It is very accurate for winds at altitude.

When doing IMU calibration, one of the steps is to place the drone on its back legs facing straight up (I found this pic online). I get a gimbal vibration noise when calibrations in this position, is that normal? This pic shows calibration without propellers, is that correct or does it not matter either way. I've calibrated before and do not recall the vibration sound on my original mavic.

75f1e609b7aede394f4ba91e00c9bf1f.jpg

That's not uncommon. Some do it more than others. You should be ok.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots