DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crashes into car on Sydney Harbour Bridge.

definitely from a Mavic... what a waste..

can see the battery flying out front and landing on the road there..

that journalist must be drone hater very much.

well... if someone was playing a control car and he jumped it and hit my car and cause damages, I would hate the remote car too... I guess

then again, knowing myself , I'll hate the guy controlling the car more than the RC car..

Reactions: Troncat
Does the Mavic gimbal possess a serial number?

If so, I hope they track this moron down and throw the book at him.

Reactions: ZUCSTA
Unsurprising that someone tried flying there, or that they hit something higher up, so many cables that are hard to see, and a giant iron mass probably doesn't do the compass favours.
the whole of Sydney harbour almost up to the heads is restricted airspace sunrise to sunset - though you can get allowances from CASA - our FAA equivalent. I've seen plenty of guys flying there though, it's not legal but if you're staying low I'm not too worried, talking to one guy he was closer to 1000 feet, which is up where the seaplanes and tour helis constantly buzz through.

Embedded in the motor? Or caught up in the under tray more likely.

Flying directly over/inside the bridge is just silly though

When they start making examples of these morons maybe things will ease up a bit . Right now drones are a fast growing new hobby for many and very new to the general public is why any incident is "Headline" news . Yes cars crash every day but they are far more popular and outnumber drones vastly . They also have liability insurance where dumb Joe that bought his toy online and decides to fly it over people does not .

Reactions: montanacurt
Unlikely to be fatal as they claim. The windshield would have absorbed the majority of the impact.

Still extremely reckless of the operator. If the area really is a NFZ, they had no business flying there.

Reactions: hibby
Suprised they haven't got the hight tech anti drone defence system on a that bridge, other less famous bridges seem to have it ;-)

Visitor fined after drone lands on Auckland Harbour Bridge

"when his drone got too close to the bridge it triggered a high-tech, automatic security measure - which took control out of the owners' hands and immediately landed the UAV"

Reactions: ZUCSTA
Maybe they did and immediately landed the drone on the car...

Reactions: Dw911
I agree that the pilot was being stupid, but man is that story sensationalized. If the gimbal had made it "into the motor" then the car wouldn't be running. And a fatality? really? I'm pretty sure you could fly the mavic straight into someone's face in sports mode and, it would hurt like hell and mangle them for life, but I don't think it would kill them.

Reactions: RC5728
Why should a drone "accident" be demonized any more than a car accident. It's the future, we were supposed to have flying cars by now. This is just the natural progression of technology. This isn't any more shocking of horrific than if I bumped someone's bumper in the parking lot. An accident is an accident. If we are that risk adverse, than ban all cars too.

Reactions: RC5728
I find it disturbing that there are so many "what's the big deal, or they're just drone haters" replies. It's just this simple. If you're within the law and not indangering others with your actions, then fine. Go ahead and destroy as many drones as you wish. Once you start to feel your skill and desire to get cool videos override those considerations, you are in the wrong, and your attitude will lead to more and more restrictions.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada