DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crashes into car on Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I cannot see a small drone bringing down a plane, a plane is going much slower on approach and takeoff and climbs rapidly on takeoff out of the height restrictions.

It's statements like these that really concern me. This is sort of like saying "guns can't kill people, they're too small and people are much bigger". Now, before all the gun advocates get all "up in arms" over this statement, I'm not trying to compare drones and guns. My point is, it's this kind of ignorance that is not going to go well for our "drone" community. I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have to be knowledgable about our craft. We need to know what it's capable of doing, both good and bad. We need to be aware of where we fly, when we fly, and who or what might be impacted should an accident occur. It all seems pretty reasonable to me.

Now, for your reading pleasure. Enjoy
http://gizmodo.com/5989318/what-happens-when-a-drone-hits-a-plane

Reactions: Crayons
It's statements like these that really concern me. This is sort of like saying "guns can't kill people, they're too small and people are much bigger". Now, before all the gun advocates get all "up in arms" over this statement, I'm not trying to compare drones and guns. My point is, it's this kind of ignorance that is not going to go well for our "drone" community. I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have to be knowledgable about our craft. We need to know what it's capable of doing, both good and bad. We need to be aware of where we fly, when we fly, and who or what might be impacted should an accident occur. It all seems pretty reasonable to me.

Your link doesn't seem to work. Just lands me on the Gizmodo home page :(

I am not being ignorant, I said it is unlikely. Your gun comparison is way off the mark here (does a person have two hearts for failsafe). But that sounds silly in itself so lets not compare things, we are after all talking about drones.

This article is all hear say, it is not solid evidence in any form. It is someones guess. Lets imagine a lightweight drone cut fuel lines to the side it struck, that is still not going to bring down a plane. It would have to be catastrophic damage to a plane and ALL engines to fail.

The link that works:

What Happens When A Drone Hits A Plane?

I agree completely we have to be knowledgeable about a drone, many others and I included are aware of the drone and its potential dangers. But what is concerning is how people take it way out of context, this thing is 734grams. Engines are designed to not break to a bird strike (also heavier than a drone). But really this is going way off the discussion. I still think the risk is extremely low and really 99.9999% of the time nobody is flying beside a runway and if they are then they are, putting it politely, stupid.

As a side note I am not saying, just because I think it won't bring down a plane, go fly beside an airport. I won't be flying anywhere near an airport or a flight path for that matter - it is stupid, not necessary and really is a photo or a video worth increasing stress for pilots: no

I'm confused. You posted a link to the same article. Well, I'll take someone's educated "guesses" as a seasoned pilot and former Air Force pilot over that of a drone flyer any day. And just for the record, there are single engine planes out there. Just sayin.

I'm confused. You posted a link to the same article. Well, I'll take someone's educated "guesses" as a seasoned pilot and former Air Force pilot over that of a drone flyer any day. And just for the record, there are single engine planes out there. Just sayin.

Your link wasn't working, so I just reposted the link for others to see that works :)

Each to their own opinion but I will still follow the results of tests for objects that have been tested. Fear mongering is a wonderful thing.

i don't think anyone is arguing the case that people should be able to fly drones around aircraft are they ? you're litigating a redundant case.
i dont think theres a single person in this thread who even thinks that where the drone was flying is acceptable.

what i don't by into is the cause-effect relationship that's getting injected into this debate. like drones are some uber dangerous thing that could kill someone any moment if we arent super vigilant. thats just hyperbole. there's enough of this talk by idiot politicians and bureaucrats without our own community spreading such...dare i say it...alternative facts. as a community i would hope we are vigilant and careful...but above all rational.

Reactions: rsands
Your link wasn't working, so I just reposted the link for others to see that works :)

Each to their own opinion but I will still follow the results of tests for objects that have been tested. Fear mongering is a wonderful thing.

Ok thanks. But honestly, help me understand your reasoning. I really do want to know how you and other like you come up with this frame of thinking. Do you think baseball bats are dangerous, or golf clubs? What about baseballs thrown at your head? I want to understand. Truly.

Ok thanks. But honestly, help me understand your reasoning. I really do want to know how and other like you come up with this frame of thinking. Do you think baseball bats are dangerous, or golf clubs? What about baseballs thrown at your head? I want to understand. Truly.

Anything is dangerous in the wrong hands, does that mean we ban baseball bats or regulate golf clubs being near anyone? You are going off topic on this discussion and comparisons. Walking down the footpath can kill you, a puddle in a bath tub can kill you.

As I have mentioned engines are designed to ingest and not break up with objects at higher speeds and more weight. Yes drones are not fully tested (and yes they will act differently to a bird) but there is a good reason for this, the risk to the industry is not worth the tests as many who do the tests admitted.

Also in relation to a hit to the head, this has already been tested with a drone and the impact was found to be much less damaging than thought. Drones are always going to end up in the hands of idiots, like everything does. But does that mean we do a blanket ban and compare it to other things? No. Again, drones are very advanced and safe.

As Chris.K has said, nobody here is saying fly the drone at an airport or in restricted airspace like in this case. Instead we have to educate but I will repeat: fear mongering.

Anything is dangerous in the wrong hands, does that mean we ban baseball bats or regulate golf clubs being near anyone? You are going off topic on this discussion and comparisons. Walking down the footpath can kill you, a puddle in a bath tub can kill you.

As I have mentioned engines are designed to ingest and not break up with objects at higher speeds and more weight. Yes drones are not fully tested (and yes they will act differently to a bird) but there is a good reason for this, the risk to the industry is not worth the tests as many who do the tests admitted.

Also in relation to a hit to the head, this has already been tested with a drone and the impact was found to be much less damaging than thought. Drones are always going to end up in the hands of idiots, like everything does. But does that mean we do a blanket ban and compare it to other things? No. Again, drones are very advanced and safe.

As Chris.K has said, nobody here is saying fly the drone at an airport or in restricted airspace like in this case. Instead we have to educate but I will repeat: fear mongering.

Well it's all good topic for discussion. And perhaps some ideas and perceptions are lost on here since translation through text isn't always accurate. I'm not trying to fear monger. I'm simply trying to get across that these things can be dangerous. Which we somewhat agree on. Sure, it depends a lot of circumstance and timing, but to flatly deny there is no risk involved is just flat out wrong in my opinion. I have read posts where people argued that drones were not dangerous. This truly alarms me. I saw a drone today at the beach in a no fly zone. It really pissed me off. The operator was buzzing over people's heads and flying in and out across the water. I was with my family and I was genuinely concerned for their well being. By the time I looked up the LA County Sheriff's number, the drone was gone. It's this kind if irresponsible behavior that I think the public gets pissed about. Had this pilot had any consideration for the people he was flying over, or any idea that he could really hurt someone should something malfunction then he wouldn't have flown where he did. It's not fear mongering. It's trying to convey to all pilots that we need to be conscious of where we fly, take into consideration who is around, and the possible ramifications should something go wrong. But, maybe I'm just a rarity in that I think about others before I think about myself.

It's this kind if irresponsible behavior that I think the public gets pissed about. Had this pilot had any consideration for the people he was flying over, or any idea that he could really hurt someone should something malfunction then he wouldn't have flown where he did. It's not fear mongering. It's trying to convey to all pilots that we need to be conscious of where we fly, take into consideration who is around, and the possible ramifications should something go wrong. But, maybe I'm just a rarity in that I think about others before I think about myself.

we have common ground. it would piss me off too. but i wouldn't be worried about my safety, im just annoyed that this person has no consideration of the people hes flying around. and thats what 99.9% of the non-drone pilots get upset about. its not safety imo, its droen pilots annoying the heck out of people.

Well it's all good topic for discussion. And perhaps some ideas and perceptions are lost on here since translation through text isn't always accurate. I'm not trying to fear monger. I'm simply trying to get across that these things can be dangerous. Which we somewhat agree on. Sure, it depends a lot of circumstance and timing, but to flatly deny there is no risk involved is just flat out wrong in my opinion. I have read posts where people argued that drones were not dangerous. This truly alarms me. I saw a drone today at the beach in a no fly zone. It really pissed me off. The operator was buzzing over people's heads and flying in and out across the water. I was with my family and I was genuinely concerned for their well being. By the time I looked up the LA County Sheriff's number, the drone was gone. It's this kind if irresponsible behavior that I think the public gets pissed about. Had this pilot had any consideration for the people he was flying over, or any idea that he could really hurt someone should something malfunction then he wouldn't have flown where he did. It's not fear mongering. It's trying to convey to all pilots that we need to be conscious of where we fly, take into consideration who is around, and the possible ramifications should something go wrong. But, maybe I'm just a rarity in that I think about others before I think about myself.

It definitely is a good discussion and we are possibly getting lost in text. If we think about flying in a no drone zone - yes it is stupid, but why not find the person and just say hey mate I fly a drone as well and just want to advise it is a no fly zone and you could get a hefty fine. Most cases this is all it would take as opposed to giving law enforcement even more reason to come down heavy. Why not help fix the issue and if they choose to be cool about it then that is even better - you have helped educate someone.

I have at no point flat out denied there is no risk to people, of course there is a risk but the risk being mentioned is not near what most think it is. I do not fly over peoples heads, if I am near a beach I am there in the early hours of the morning when it is empty and way above the height requirement. Majority of people never fly over people but again there is always going to be one idiot who does.

I have seen one person fly over a beach in Sydney stupid low and I agree with you, it is not considerate at all and just annoys people. Plenty of room out over the water at a distance and at height, no need to be on the beach when it is clearly busy.

we have common ground. it would piss me off too. but i wouldn't be worried about my safety, im just annoyed that this person has no consideration of the people hes flying around. and thats what 99.9% of the non-drone pilots get upset about. its not safety imo, its droen pilots annoying the heck out of people.

True. I thinks it's combination of both. The kids think it's cool but the parents we were with were both annoyed and concerned for their safety and wanted to leave the beach.

I read somewhere a tourist passing through owned up to it....
He was very annoyed he had lost his expensive quad and mentioned he had a warranty claim being processed by DJI.

He was shooting some close-up selfies in a safe park in western Sydney 8k's away from the harbour and suffered a fly-away. It occurred immediately after he upgraded the firmware and the GoApp.

So now, as the piloting collective we should be able to track him down and nail his inconsiderate ***, keel haul him, tar and feather him, shout at him, lynch him, ....

Amazing conclusions being drawn from 3 frames in a rough dash-cam video.

I read somewhere a tourist passing through owned up to it....
He was very annoyed he had lost his expensive quad and mentioned he had a warranty claim being processed by DJI.

He was shooting some close-up selfies in a safe park in western Sydney 8k's away from the harbour and suffered a fly-away. It occurred immediately after he upgraded the firmware and the GoApp.

So now, as the piloting collective we should be able to track him down and nail his inconsiderate ***, keel haul him, tar and feather him, shout at him, lynch him, ....

Amazing conclusions being drawn from 3 frames in a rough dash-cam video.

wow his battery lasted a while if it flew 8 kilos after an update and selfie taking for a while lol. i wanna go look for his battery.

I bet the experts on here would love to see that flight log.

wow his battery lasted a while if it flew 8 kilos after an update and selfie taking for a while lol. i wanna go look for his battery.

I bet the experts on here would love to see that flight log.

Now that would be interesting... perhaps my MP could have a flyaway over the top of the Empire State Building, take some amazing video and then suddenly come back online again, before landing safely!! Who's to say?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929