DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crashes into space needle.

It looks like when it went kamikaze, that it was trying to RTH or something to me. Towards the end, you can see part of what I think looks like the drone in the footage (when the workers are fondling it).

At least it doesn't seem to be a DJI.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
He flies it awful jerky - then on twitter blamed a "DJI RTH error"
Most likely the classic error - circled round the back of it and because it's already above the preset RTH altitude it just blundered into the same obstruction which locked the signal.
If Obstacle Avoidance was on, both Mavic and P4 would probably have gone up or around it with luck.

No one was hurt. Nothing (other than the Inspire) was damaged. There was no victim. Sure, it could have been different, but it wasn't. Yet, the fear this story instills in the general public (never mind some on here), would have you think we immediately need to take dramatic and decisive action to prevent this no-victim event from ever happening again. .Gov could use this example as a reason to ban any flights around any structure over 30' - and the majority of the public would cheer. But the reality is, the reckless idiot, or the failed hardware on a fly-away multi-rotor doesn't care about such bans. So in the end, such bans, rules, restrictions and laws punish only those who didn't need them in the first place. That concept is lost on most.

The solution is simple. If an aircraft is used in a manor that causes damage or injury to someone or something (i.e. there is an actual, tangible victim) the operator should be held liable - both civilly and criminally (reckless endangerment, assault, etc) - just as they would be if they chucked a brick off of the roof of a tall building. We don't need laws or regulations on how bricks can be transported, or where they can be thrown. It is asinine to think that we need more regs because of events like this. But that's just me. I like liberties, and I don't like the nanny state.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22