DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Customs Issue (INDIA)

Syedy

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased Mavic pro (Fly-less) and my friend will be carrying it with him back to India.

Did someone from here carried their mavic pro back to India?

Flying drone is banned in India, Hence I am wondering how to clear the customs at the airport.

I have not used the drone yet, I will be flying this in India
I am worried about customs and my drone getting confiscated at the airport.

Reactions: Knight Hawk
If its banned in India do you really want to end up in an Indian jail? No thanks for this guy. I cant do Indian food in a restaurant never mind prison.

flying may be banned however I highly doubt owning a drone is banned... Should be no worry, drone flying is not a customs problem, it is not illegal contraband.

I think the best bet for you is to go to western part of India in Gujarat or up in the Northern part of India by Uttar Pradesh and attend the kite flying festival, one of the coolest thing you can do. Thousands upon thousands of kites in the sky and all day long you can do kite fights. You might not get to do the photography but atleast you would be able to fly something. :) :).

A quick check of india times will show plenty of examples of drone pilots being arrested, including a guy from the US near a tourist hotspot and two india nationals in Mumbai practising for a film shoot. I'm travelling to India end of next week and have tried to contact the DGCA and various other related departments without luck so not worth taking it.

In terms of getting through customs they do x-ray hold and hand luggage before exiting baggage claim and entering arrivals at most airports but they tend to wave westerners through. I have heard of drones being confiscated at the airport so its a risk. But obviously the guy in the US got one through and the rule is about flight not owning one so you can argue your case if caught and explain you know the rules and will get permission etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Syedy
A quick check of india times will show plenty of examples of drone pilots being arrested, including a guy from the US near a tourist hotspot and two india nationals in Mumbai practising for a film shoot. I'm travelling to India end of next week and have tried to contact the DGCA and various other related departments without luck so not worth taking it.

In terms of getting through customs they do x-ray hold and hand luggage on arrival at most airports but they tend to wave westerners through. I have heard of drones being confiscated at the airport so its a risk. But obviously the guy in the US got one through and the rule is about flight not owning one so you can argue your case if caught and explain you know the rules and will get permission etc.
Yes I was thinking of the same, but you know how corrupt the custom officers are. I was only planning to film/fly the drone away from the crowd and police. My only concern was how can I clear the Airport customs or pack it in carryin baggage, I wont be keep this in hand baggage. As of now I am planning to return the drone.

Just to clarify, they x-ray hand and hold luggage when you exit baggage claim on arrival. My original post was not clear until I edited it.

Yes I was thinking of the same, but you know how corrupt the custom officers are. I was only planning to film/fly the drone away from the crowd and police. My only concern was how can I clear the Airport customs or pack it in carryin baggage, I wont be keep this in hand baggage. As of now I am planning to return the drone.

Care to elaborate more on your alleged assumption???

You're not an Indian customs official are ya? ;-)

No, but having friends and family members in various law enforcement levels (I was born in India and spent half of my life there), I cringe when I see such dismissive statements and that too from someone living in the same country. Just cause there are a few bad apples (and it is not country bound, show me a country where there is no corruption) there is no need to throw the whole department under the bus.

Last edited:
I purchased a MAVIC PRO in the USA. I will; be flying to india for a week en route to Sri Lanka. I will be flying the drone in SL for which I have all the required permits. Will taking the drone to India be an issue at customs. I will be there for only a week and WILL NOT be flying the drone. Hence dont see tghe point in paying duty in India.

Suggestions / Comments please?

Ritwik

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased Mavic pro (Fly-less) and my friend will be carrying it with him back to India.

Flying drone is banned in India, Hence I am wondering how to clear the customs at the airport.

Hi Guys,

I took mine to Mumbai New Delhi and many places in Western India this January for 20 days - no problems at customs going in or out...
Flew it in Mumbai - New Delhi (Hotel only) - and in Sawai Modhupur and Jaipur ..... Stay in the hotel and fly out .... no one bothers ...

Reactions: dev21
Flying a drone in certain parts are okay. Flying a drone in the city of Mumbai is not legal. Not yet as they are drafting some rules and guides for the same. @todo where did you fly it in mumbai ?

I took mine to Mumbai New Delhi and many places in Western India this January for 20 days - no problems at customs going in or out...
Flew it in Mumbai - New Delhi (Hotel only) - and in Sawai Modhupur and Jaipur ..... Stay in the hotel and fly out .... no one bothers ...

Hi,
I am planning to take a mavic pro, from the US to India. I will be flying from texas to Dubai and Dubai to Chennai. I would like to know how you carried the mavic. Was it in its original packaging? Did you put it in your checked in luggage or in your hand carry. Did you have to declare it to customs? If so were you asked to pay any duty on it?

Flying a drone in certain parts are okay. Flying a drone in the city of Mumbai is not legal. Not yet as they are drafting some rules and guides for the same. @todo where did you fly it in mumbai ?
They are drafting since 5+ years, GOD ONLY knows when we will have actual law. Our government is pathetic

Reactions: Daptone
Hi,
I am planning to take a mavic pro, from the US to India. I will be flying from texas to Dubai and Dubai to Chennai. I would like to know how you carried the mavic. Was it in its original packaging? Did you put it in your checked in luggage or in your hand carry. Did you have to declare it to customs? If so were you asked to pay any duty on it?
As far as I have heard Chennai customs are better than other metro cities.

I was advised that You shouldn't carry you're original package, leave it back in USA and keep the drone in checked in luggage and not in hand luggage.(don't keep the propeller on the drone)

Reactions: Dusk_Tiger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje