DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone hate.

Ziggy01

Reactions
Drone newbie here, long time photographer. Loving my Mavic.

I've been researching the net regarding traveling with drones via different airlines in different countries. It would appear that Lithium batteries present something of a problem with certain airlines.

But nothing compared to the poisonous bile from non-drone users on sites such as Trip Adviser. Sheesh, these people are murderous.

I'm very sensitive to other peoples peace and probably over-sensitive to infringing on the general right to privacy and to read some of these comments makes me feel like some kind of criminal. This is not a loved community.

Reactions: erkme73 and RC5728
That's absolutely natural. Drones are new and easy to get these day, which means that any prick can get one and do what da f he wants including being a prick with a drone. What we can do is trying to make a positive impact on these views everytime we fly. Bad word always travels faster, it's the same thing as with bad reviews about pretty much anything, people are more likely to share bad experience than good

You have nothing to be ashamed of if you are complying with the rules, acting like it is natural and looking as though you know what you are doing and why. Keep a printed laminated copy of the rules, any specific registrations ready to show if anyone questions you. An official looking piece of paper has a lot of power.
Same as walking down a street, body language conveys a lot.
If you start out with a sort of plan of what you want to achieve on the flight then it looks more efficient than aimlessly "droning" around.

Drone newbie here, long time photographer. Loving my Mavic.

I've been researching the net regarding traveling with drones via different airlines in different countries. It would appear that Lithium batteries present something of a problem with certain airlines.

But nothing compared to the poisonous bile from non-drone users on sites such as Trip Adviser. Sheesh, these people are murderous.

I'm very sensitive to other peoples peace and probably over-sensitive to infringing on the general right to privacy and to read some of these comments makes me feel like some kind of criminal. This is not a loved community.

Can you give us a link ?

Drone hate is more often than not drone ignorance. People are afraid they are being spied on mostly. They have no idea how small things are on wide angle shots :)

Reactions: RC5728
Like other people here said , we have to respect other people's privacy , the rules of the countries we visit and all will be fine.

The "hate" never got us any good results :)

Drone hate is more often than not drone ignorance. People are afraid they are being spied on mostly. They have no idea how small things are on wide angle shots :)

So true.

I have absolutely zero interest in witnessing people and their behaviour and I suspect this is true of most drone operators. It's about nature/landscape - the less people in it (generally) the better.

At least, that's true for me.

The reason a minority of people have an irrational belief that drone operators are spying on them, is because that is what _they_ would do with a drone. It says more about their preferences and tendencies than it does about drones.

I wouldn't say it's anything new, these sort of people always seem to be around and just pick on whatever the current fashionable target is. I've seen similar comments and responses to DSLRs for years particularly at one point in London when there was growing hysteria that terrorists where scouting London so therefore anyone with a DSLR was immediately suspicious even though using such an obvious tool would be stupid.

Reactions: Former Member
That's absolutely natural. Drones are new and easy to get these day, which means that any prick can get one and do what da f he wants including being a prick with a drone. What we can do is trying to make a positive impact on these views everytime we fly. Bad word always travels faster, it's the same thing as with bad reviews about pretty much anything, people are more likely to share bad experience than good

The thing is to these people, THAT you're using a drone automatically makes you a prick. Doesn't matter how it's being used. I've conversed with these folks on tripadvisor myself and something I noticed rather quickly was that in my experiences seeing these complaints it was universally women and all over 55 (just going by their TA profiles). Their complaint always cites the privacy issue. Ummm, you're outside, in a tourist spot no less, you should have ZERO expectation of privacy. First off,I find it difficult to believe someone that carries a smartphone as an extension of their arm truly values their privacy above all else. Second, I ask these same folks if they only ever take photos when they ensure that anyone they do not know doesn't appear in the frame. Invariably, the answer (when they admit it) is no. Perfect, so you take a picture from the ground of your family in front of some exotic waterfall with countless strangers in the background. I take a picture of the same falls from the air with countless strangers who's facial features couldn't even be singled out appearing in the frame. The only difference between between us is the angle. We've "violated" someone else's "privacy" equally.

If it wasn't so frustrating it would be comical how quickly and easily people are willing to jump on a bandwagon, adopting someone else's opinion on a subject they aren't educated on without even knowing themselves how they formed that opinion. Fear mongering shouldn't be so easy to accomplish.

Man. The guy who got his P3 taken away is very lucky he got it back unharmed. I would have expected a beat up drone on return. He's also lucky he got it back at all.
I'd like to point out that the word "confiscated" is very scary. I would be mortified if my over $1000 MP was confiscated at an airport. Particularly because confiscate implies that you won't be getting it back, at all! I prefer impound, which implies the return of something seized, for a nominal fee. Which is exactly what happened to the P3 owner.

It would be great if we could get clarification from unfortunate travelers as to whether their drones were confiscated or impounded.

Some people dont like getting their picture taken at all. I was demoing a DSLR cam in a big box store a few weeks ago, and benignly just pointed around and starting shooting to test the focus. No SD card in the cam. A woman and her 2 friends walks up to me and says, "you better not be taking my picture. I dont like people taking my picture." Then she asks me to delete the picture I took. I assured her that she was not the subject of my focus, but she insisted that I delete the photo. I told her that I couldnt delete it... because there was no SD card in the camera. She just hmffed and stormed away. Maybe she was a fugitive, maybe she was of a religion that believes that pictures steal your soul ‘Thou shalt not make unto thyself a graven image.’

In any case, there are whackos out there, and best just to pacify them than to argue with them. You cant argue with crazy.

It is too bad that the whole class of flyers have to suffer due to the carelessness and stupidity of a few individuals. They are just so accessible its hard to avoid some crazy people getting hold of them and ruining the good name for the rest of us. -CF

I just got back from caymans, only coming back did they ask about my batteries(question drone), but I had the battery bags which helped. Otherwise on the beach I made sure to takeoff in areas that weren't crowded.

Attachments

• IMG_7528.JPG
    IMG_7528.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: Former Member
Funnily filming out in nature today i ran into some curious people who asked me about drone filming. They asked me what the image looked like so i have shown them. The drone was about 30 meters away and i pointed it toward them.
They were surprised how small they were on the image and how little you could see from their faces. I hope I have educated some people today on the spying-with-drones myth

Reactions: Chip D
People always have knee-jerk reactions to new things. Best thing to do is help educate. I always call people over if they seem interested and explain what I am doing. Everyone has to do their part. Beyond that, the world will always have d#$%heads - can't change that.

Reactions: Bugg77 and Chris.K
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu