DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone in Belize

OkobojiDrone

Reactions
I'm taking my family to Belize for Christmas and wanted to bring my Mavic. After lots of digging and a couple inquiries I was informed by the Belize Department of Civil Aviation there is a moratorium on drones coming into Belize. So I'm leaving my Mavic at home. FYI in case anyone else is traveling there.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Palliz
Hi, tanks for the info, please Mod can you move this to the regulation sub forum for further reference

I'm taking my family to Belize for Christmas and wanted to bring my Mavic. After lots of digging and a couple inquiries I was informed by the Belize Department of Civil Aviation there is a moratorium on drones coming into Belize. So I'm leaving my Mavic at home. FYI in case anyone else is traveling there.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Hi - I live in Belize & can confirm that you are quite right - Civil Aviation has strict rules governing drones MOST especially tourists visiting our country hoping to fly their drones here. The good suffer for the bad ( unfortunately always the case ) Youtube drone footage showed tourists flying drones on Ambergris Caye San Pedro right on the flight path of the Airport there. Pilots having near misses etc. I fly drones due to my work as a photographer on infrastructure projects around the country VERY strict regulations to adhere to in order to get a license & even then have to inform Civil Aviation 24 hours in advance when where you intend to fly. Don't even ask about flying over the Mayan ruins! It's sad really - who doesn't want to travel & shoot great pics/vids with their Mavic - Belize is a wonderland when it comes to great scenery etc. Plus it's a great way to market our beautiful country for FREE right.........?
Enjoy your Xmas in Belize my friend

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamMG and mstevens
I've brought my P3A there a few times, never had any issues.
Thanks for bringing this up - I'm headed there in Jan. I generally only fly over my house / property though.
Best to follow the rules - what a drag though.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I've brought my P3A there a few times, never had any issues.
Thanks for bringing this up - I'm headed there in Jan. I generally only fly over my house / property though.
Best to follow the rules - what a drag though.
Hey, when you went over in January did you have any issues? I'm planning on taking my Mavic in April and was wondering if anything has changed.

Best

No problems, but it's so small. I was not asked to declare anything.
If you bring it / fly - just know that there are tons of small airports and small aircraft that fly very low.
And also know that it's against the rules, you need a permit.

hi guys, I'm travelling to Belize next week via the Chetumal border crossing in mexico. I intend to bring my DJI Mavic Pro, any suggestions? Is this risky / would they check bags at the border crossing and confiscate it?
Thanks!

hi guys, I'm travelling to Belize next week via the Chetumal border crossing in mexico. I intend to bring my DJI Mavic Pro, any suggestions? Is this risky / would they check bags at the border crossing and confiscate it?
Thanks!
Yes risky! They check bags & WILL confiscate it if they find it - returning it only when you leave the country.
It is illegal to fly a drone in Belize without a permit - Be Warned!

Breaking the rules/laws just kills it for more of us everywhere.

Palliz, even with the mavic pro being so small? I'm crossing a land border from chetumal, so I thought they might only do spot checks. How can I obtain a permit if it is just for recreational use? and also we will be exiting through the border to guatemala, so that makes things even trickier..

Palliz, even with the mavic pro being so small? I'm crossing a land border from chetumal, so I thought they might only do spot checks. How can I obtain a permit if it is just for recreational use? and also we will be exiting through the border to guatemala, so that makes things even trickier..
I own a Mavic Pro too - yes they are small but still a drone. I know Chetumal Border very well - actually did some drone work for Govt when they were remodelling the Customs Border. You are required to exit your vehicle along with luggage to be inspected by Customs officials.
There is a moratorium in place right now banning importation of drones at all border/airport crossing points for non-residents.
You may be able to obtain a permit from Belize Civil Aviation Authority Contact BDCA | Belize Department of Civil Aviation Ms Bautista has always been very helpful - if nothing else she will give you more current information.
I mentioned this in an earlier post (above) sad that folks vacationing here cannot fly their drones in Belize - however MANY countries have similar restrictions & VERY strict guidelines.
I hope this is useful for you.

Thank you very much for the clear information. I hope others will read this post before attempting to travel with their drones to Belize! This could become a costly trip otherwise.. I will contact Ms Bautista and post her response here.

I own a Mavic Pro too - yes they are small but still a drone. I know Chetumal Border very well - actually did some drone work for Govt when they were remodelling the Customs Border. You are required to exit your vehicle along with luggage to be inspected by Customs officials.
There is a moratorium in place right now banning importation of drones at all border/airport crossing points for non-residents.
You may be able to obtain a permit from Belize Civil Aviation Authority Contact BDCA | Belize Department of Civil Aviation Ms Bautista has always been very helpful - if nothing else she will give you more current information.
I mentioned this in an earlier post (above) sad that folks vacationing here cannot fly their drones in Belize - however MANY countries have similar restrictions & VERY strict guidelines.
I hope this is useful for you.
Also have you got any recommendations as to where I could leave my drone in Cancun before we cross into Belize? I will be spending a few days there at the beginning and end of my trip and would like to fly the drone. Perhaps a storage place?

The ADO bus station in Playa del Carmen has storage lockers. I presume other stations have them as well. I'm not sure just how secure they are.

Yeah I was thinking about the ADO or perhaps the hotel I'll be staying at 2 weeks later, but security and cost is my concern. The ADO charges per hour, the hotel has no safe (it would just be behind the reception :/)

Unfortunately I'm out of the country right now or you could leave it in a safe in my house on Cozumel.

Have you tried the Mexico sections of forums, such as at forums.dji.com, to see if a fellow enthusiast could help out?

I just flew into, around, and out of Belize (BZE) with my Mavic. It was tucked in with my cameras and never noticed. They questioned the battery packs when going through the scanners going back through security to catch our flight with Tropic Air, but those were in my laptop bag and not with the Mavic. Unfortunately I didn't get a flight in during the trip. Winds were 15-20mph and I'm new with flying these so I assumed that I'd have issues. I did get some fantastic underwater video with the GoPro though. My advice, pack the supporting parts in a bag other than the body if you make the trip so the Mavic looks less like what it is.

Well I'm about to head off to Belize for the second time next week. The first Mavic I ever saw was actually in Belize on Half Moon Caye during a Blue Hole trip last year in July. None of the park rangers or anyone seemed to care even with the booby bird nesting going on there. I bought one a month after the trip and I assumed it would be alright to bring drones to Belize, but then I did a bunch of web searches and that does not appear to be the case. I'm pretty sure this kid with the Mavic did not have a permit so I'm guessing he just rolled the dice and got it past customs. So did something change that is making Belize customs confiscate them and check if people have a permit? I'm going to Caye Caulker specifically and I know it's pretty small with a tiny airstrip and light aircraft coming in and out.

I'm a little bummed that I may have to leave it at home...

It indeed does not look good. Was hoping someoke could weigh in on this that has been. I think I may not take it because of reported customs confiscations and no ways for personal permits in the cayes. I could roll the dice but I will only be there for 5 days and cannot really jack around with government authorities. Guess I should do my homework before booking but I think too many people are flying drones these days and the honeymoon for many drone travelers is over.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851