DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Journalist Faces 7 Years in Prison for Filming Dakota Pipeline Protests

If it was an areal filming , I understand this dude , but it those look to close to me , and one of the rules is do not interfere with police or emergency responses..
Am right?
7 years ? Looks to me there is something more , maybe police tell him put it Down or some

Last edited:
Is that for real, law enforcement were throwing book at him based on the slim chance that he might hurt or cause injury to protesters with his plastic toy, what whilst they were busy shooting the protesters with tear gas and water cannons.
I know what I'd be worrying about if I was there and it wouldn't be the drone

Not suprised he got off, should never have got to court in the first place, at most it should have been a fine or something if he was breaking the law by flying over groups of people

I got a friend, he was flew his drone , hit a tree a propeller broke flew a hit his eye , so good for this guy he can walk out this and for all of us flying drones as hobby , I can't image if someone was hurt.. what will happen just like when someone flew the drone over white house and now is restricted on all DC

I got a friend, he was flew his drone , hit a tree a propeller broke flew a hit his eye , so good for this guy he can walk out this and for all of us flying drones as hobby , I can't image if someone was hurt.. what will happen just like when someone flew the drone over white house and now is restricted on all DC

That nut worked for the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. He claimed he was drunk and lost control over his drone (believable with the tech back then). The flight restrictions are actually are from 9-11.

Reactions: AndyA
Well if his drone was damaged and he has DJI refresh .. It should be repaired by the time he gets out of prison.. Maybe:eek::eek:
lmao.

so as these get more and more popular, what do you guys think the end game will be?

everyone fly everywhere? or just drones banned entirely

lmao.

so as these get more and more popular, what do you guys think the end game will be?

everyone fly everywhere? or just drones banned entirely
They wont be banned, I think they might be regulated like guns. Having to pass a background check all that comes along with gun laws, I think if it did get bad enough that's what we'd see.

They wont be banned, I think they might be regulated like guns. Having to pass a background check all that comes along with gun laws, I think if it did get bad enough that's what we'd see.
that actually sounds terrible...

Reactions: Kestrel
"On or about September 16th"? They don't have an EXACT time? C'mon.... It's all political bullshcmitt.

That’s common charging language.... in Maryland, our charging documents say the same thing.

Also, the 7 years is a farce. It’s maximum penalties that nobody ever receives. Lastly, their charging documents also stem from him flying near other aircraft, endangering those on board.

I don’t see this as throwing the book at him and also don’t see how he isn’t violating the law. Regardless, he was found not guilty on all counts.

If you break the law and get caught you get punished. Im struggling to see the issue.
If you're found not guilty you didn't break the law so aren't punished. Again, struggling to see an issue.

If you break the law and get caught you get punished. Im struggling to see the issue.
If you're found not guilty you didn't break the law so aren't punished. Again, struggling to see an issue.
Simply by charging you, you ARE punished. You might have to pay to get bailed out. You must hire a lawyer unless you are too broke to afford one. If you do get a court appointed lawyer, they usually aren't the best, and you must spend your time going to court.

I consider that a lot of 'punishment' for nothing, assuming that you aren't guilty.

In the meantime the real criminals in Washington D.C walk around free :(

Reactions: RLW8888
Simply by charging you, you ARE punished. You might have to pay to get bailed out. You must hire a lawyer unless you are too broke to afford one. If you do get a court appointed lawyer, they usually aren't the best, and you must spend your time going to court.

I consider that a lot of 'punishment' for nothing, assuming that you aren't guilty.

Maybe in a country with a 3rd world dubious legal system. But not in most places.
If theres suspicion of a crime you get charged. Thats how it works and thats the only way it CAN work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore