Drone training in Ireland

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Alex Baxter, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Alex Baxter

Alex Baxter Well-Known Member

I've just completed stage one of the commercial licence in Ireland with iFly technology based near Dublin. I can't big these guys up enough, two days of intensive paperwork, made interesting and entertaining. There's nothing they don't know, well done lads. Home

Sent from my Nexus 9 using MavicPilots mobile app

2. ArcticFlightman

Hi Alex, my wife is irish, and I plan on bringing my Mavic when we go over to Dublin to see family and such. Is there anything i should be aware of, bringing a drone over there to fly?

3. dam

dam Well-Known Member

Congrats .. such a beautiful landscaped country Ireland is .. I'm sure with more stringent ruling coming ahead more and more schools will pop up making this a viable business source too !!

4. Alex Baxter

And I'm lucky enough to travel the length and breadth going about my work, so many opportunities, so little time...

5. Alex Baxter

IAA rules are here.
    Drones
    If it's the Mavic, you don't have to register, it's under 1kg. Drones are few and far between here, and some farmers here, like the world over, I'm sure, would like to, and believe they legally can, get their shotgun out. It's not malice, just a farmer thing. I met one today in deepest Kerry (Caherciveen) but within 10 minutes we were best buddies. Please engage with the people that are curious, a bit mad, or just plain nuts (we have a lot of them), be friendly and make time to talk to them all. Never be in a rush to do anything in Ireland, I'm sure your wife will already have told you all this. What part would you be going to?

ArcticFlightman likes this.
  6. ArcticFlightman

Ok, thanks for the tips Alex! I will bear that in mind. Usually we go to Dublin, where my inlaws live, have been to some places around Dublin. Been to Donegal once, and loved it up there. We will go back there some other time , to visit family and such. Many nice places in Ireland and scenery, should be great for some drone footage! :)

7. Alex Baxter

Dublin is solid with NFZ, you'll need to get out into the sticks. Donegal is my home county, Milford my home town, and I still find Donegal breathtaking.

8. ArcticFlightman

Ok, I can pretend to be the ignorant tourist then! ;-) Absolutely agree about Donegal, mostly been to Malin and around Malin head and that peninsula. Real nice! :)

Alex Baxter likes this.