DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones flying around

Boog0822

Reactions
How many of you have seen drones flying around while you were just going through the course of your regular day? Dropping the kids off at school? Going to or from work? Getting lunch? Going grocery shopping? I thought for a moment and I've never seen a drone in the sky other than mine. (Once when my buddy flew his Mavic with me. But that doesn't count.) So how bout you? And if so, how often? I'm in the Dallas metro area too, so it's not as if I'm in an unpopulated area.

I live near Green Bay, WI. I have had my Phantoms and Mavic all over Wisconsin, Midwest, Canada, Germany, Holland, Italy and I too have never seen another drone in the air.

Reactions: Fg8or and Budmancan
Only seen one once when i was at Huka falls in Taupo NZ. That was almost 2 years ago, never seen another drone in the air since (apart from my own).

About a month ago I saw a guy flying his MP off the promenade at Brooklyn heights. Lots of tourists around catching the sunset with views across to lower Manhattan, plus busy roads directly underneath. Just taking selfies with his friends.

Sad to say I was flying my phantom 3 pro around my house and landed. A white phantom showed up and hovered over our house. I grabbed another battery and figured it would be fun to get a video of it. Unfortunately I removed the blades and forgot to tighten one. My phantom flipped over and did the dance. The one up above took off and I've never seen it again.

I've encountered a few along the years. I divide my time between Guatemala and Costa Rica, and in both places have seen other drones flying around. Oddly, it has been mostly Inspires. At my location in Costa Rica, it's pretty common to see other MRs flying, and I even have video of an encounter with an I1. Here's a capture when he buzzed me pretty close by. This was about a year and a half ago, I was flying a P3P.
jackass1.jpg

Last edited:
I've encountered a few along the years. I divide my time between Guatemala and Costa Rica, and in both places have seen other drones flying around. Oddly, it has been mostly Inspires. At my location in Costa Rica, it's pretty common to see other MRs flying, and I even have video of an encounter with an I1. Here's a capture when he buzzed me pretty close by. This was about a year and a half ago, I was flying a P3P.
View attachment 14747
That was pretty close! [emoji50]

Been flying for years, and have never seen one in the wild until just last week.

Driving home from work (192mi commute. Seriously.) on the interstate there was a work crew on the side of the highway...right lane closed signs were up, but cones were scattered about the shoulder so I figured they just knocked off. I saw a flash of red in the sky above my travel lane, when I noticed a Phantom at near 25' AGL darting about the median and over the lanes rather drunkenly. Looking right I saw a hard hat on a pickup tailgate with the controller, and a couple others looking over his shoulder.

First time seeing someone else in the wild....and he's acting like a fool showing off.

I was halfway tempted to stop a mile up, and launch my Mavic to fly back and spy on them....but I was tired and wanted to make it home before midnight.

Otherwise, I've never seen any others in the sky that weren't under my control. ;)

Reactions: mkdive
Sad to say I was flying my phantom 3 pro around my house and landed. A white phantom showed up and hovered over our house. I grabbed another battery and figured it would be fun to get a video of it. Unfortunately I removed the blades and forgot to tighten one. My phantom flipped over and did the dance. The one up above took off and I've never seen it again.
I wonder if that guy has a funny video of you running around? [emoji12]

There's 4 or so up here north of George Bush around 78 Firewheel area. And north around the soccer fields near Renner. Join us.

View attachment 14747

Did you feel slightly emasculated that a larger sexier drone left yours in the dust the way it did? Lol

On the original question, Ive only seen one drone hovering next to the road once while I was driving.

I've never noticed one in the sky. I've seen people set their drones up ready to fly, then of course I see them fly up there, but when they are high, even only 100 feet high, you really can't hear them, so you really wouldn't notice them.

Reactions: 8BitMavics
Saw a P4 flying over the San Francisco Bay, near Tiberon last August. The pilot had mad skills. It flew in from over a nearby hilltop, so I have no idea where the pilot was. That is the only rogue drone I've ever seen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest