DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones in Zimbabwe and Botswana

Butterfingers

Reactions
I'm travelling to Zimbabwe and Botswana in a few weeks time. I'd like to take my Mavic and use it to shoot Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe and then film game in Botswana. Two questions :
- Does anyone know whether drones are allowed in Zimbabwe and whether I'd likely have problems using mine there?
- Does anyone have experience filming game in Botswana (or elsewhere)? A friend has a game farm and he says that the game on his farm (elephants, giraffes, buffalo, buck, etc.) hate his Phantom 2 and tend to stampede when he flies it anywhere near them.

A friend has a game farm and he says that the game on his farm (elephants, giraffes, buffalo, buck, etc.) hate his Phantom 2 and tend to stampede when he flies it anywhere near them.

Maybe the Mavic is quieter than the P2 and won't cause the animals to get spooked. I heard the MP is quieter.

Can you update about your trip and what you learned please? I'd love a trip out to Botswana soon.

How did you go with Botswana? I'm due to go to Zambia and Botswana soon. The Botswana Civil Aviation site is unreachable and it doesn't appear you can apply for a permit online.

You won't be able to use your drone to film Vic Falls - they are strictly prohibited because of the scenic flights around the Falls. I did fly mine at the Safari Lodge, but was eventually advised by the manager there that they were banned there too.
On our elephant ride the guide did ask me to fly my MP towards the elephants to see how they'd react. Only 2 of the eight were a little wary of it. I flew the MP slowly towards them individually at their eye height and got to within 3m of them.
I had much more success in Botswana at the private reserves - the Kwando camps - but they are prohibited in the National office Parks such as Nxai Pan, Moremi, Savuti. My MP didn't appear to spook the game too much, but I did try to keep my height and distance. I got some great shots.
Download all maps for the areas that you propose to fly in before you leave for Botswana as there is no connectivity at all in the camps.
Hope this helps.

That’s great. Thanks for the detailed reply @Butterfingers

I'll be sure to ask permission from the lodge owners before I start taking the drone out. I was only planning to try it out around the lodges.

Did you have any issues with Botswana customs? Or do they only do a cursory check of luggage?

How did you go with Botswana? I'm due to go to Zambia and Botswana soon. The Botswana Civil Aviation site is unreachable and it doesn't appear you can apply for a permit online.
No - no issues with South African, Zimbabwe or Botswana customs. I carried my drone in my carry-on camera back pack which I'd modified to carry my 35mm DSLR, lenses and all my drone gear. I had no comments or issues when they scanned my carry-on in Jo'burg or when leaving Maun in Botswana (we travelled by road from Vic Falls to Botswana and our luggage wasn't examined by Customs at Kazangula border post. There are signs at the Botswana airports advising that you need licences or permits to fly drones in Botswana, but I can't remember how you go about getting the permits. I always asked before flying my drone at any of the camps and the only camp I couldn't fly at was Nxai Pan as it was in a National Park.

Reactions: genesimmons
I too am heading to Botswana in March, online the advise seems to be that flying drones is prohibited but I can't see whether or not bringing them into the country is accepted? The last thing I'd want is to have it seized as soon as I pass through customs!!

Anyone know that actual law on this? I wonder if "Butterfingers" just got lucky?

I too am heading to Botswana in March, online the advise seems to be that flying drones is prohibited but I can't see whether or not bringing them into the country is accepted? The last thing I'd want is to have it seized as soon as I pass through customs!!

Anyone know that actual law on this? I wonder if "Butterfingers" just got lucky?

So first things first: I’m South African, been to neighboring states all the way to DRC. Drones are heavily regulated but the regulations are poorly enforced.

You will get lucky most of the time mainly because the land is so vast and scarcely populated. You need to register your drone in Botswana, you are very limited where you can fly. Mostly only on private property and definitely not in any reserve. If you get caught you most certainly will loose your drone and can even land up in jail as drones are a primary tool for poachers to spot their target.

As for me, I just done a trip to Botswana and was only able to use it once. South Africa is no problem if you stick to the rules. Namibia you need to buy a permit. Zimbabwe you need to CAAZ license.

Reactions: bzmot
So first things first: I’m South African, been to neighboring states all the way to DRC. Drones are heavily regulated but the regulations are poorly enforced.

You will get lucky most of the time mainly because the land is so vast and scarcely populated. You need to register your drone in Botswana, you are very limited where you can fly. Mostly only on private property and definitely not in any reserve. If you get caught you most certainly will loose your drone and can even land up in jail as drones are a primary tool for poachers to spot their target.

As for me, I just done a trip to Botswana and was only able to use it once. South Africa is no problem if you stick to the rules. Namibia you need to buy a permit. Zimbabwe you need to CAAZ license.
Hi Zapiture,

Thanks for the response. I'm not too worried about not using it once there but just don't want to have it taken off me at Maun airport. am I ok to have it with me so long as I don't fly?

Thank you

Tom

Botswana is very tourism prone. You should not have any issues. If you are concerned, speak to your agent. They should be able to confirm that all is ok.

Botswana is very tourism prone. You should not have any issues. If you are concerned, speak to your agent. They should be able to confirm that all is ok.
Thanks.

I've had mixed opinions from agents. One told me that drones are illegal in Botswana and that's that and the other told me it should be fine if I don't plan to use it when there.

I've tried contacting the Botswana authorities but not had any response.

As I said: poorly enforced. I would take it but then again I have no problem testing boundaries. I’m confident it will not be confiscated.

Thanks.
I see what you’re saying and makes sense. I think I’ll maybe explore leaving it at Jo’burg airport or something as I’d be pretty annoyed if I did get unlucky and have it seized. Especially as I won’t really be able to use it there anyway!

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000