DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumb question about polarising filters......

Davidwh

Reactions
I am going to get some filters for my Mavic and I want the answer to the dumbest question posted on these forums. Should I get polarising filters rather than the neutral density type is there a correct way to fit these or do you just snap on the same as ND filters ie:- do they need to be oriented in a certain way.....I feel so embarrassed...many thanks.

You might consider getting a polarizing filter WITH your ND filters, but not INSTEAD of... They serve vastly different purposes. For consistency in shutter control, you really want the ND filters. While the polarizing filter, at a certain rotation appears to darken your field of view, they can add more of a vignetting effect, going from dark to light across the image. They help cutting down on glare from the surface of water, but that becomes an artistic choice. You don't necessarily always want that.

I was edging towards nd filters, possibly either Polar Pro of Freewell filters. Thanks for the quick answer.....now to decide the filter range either from 8 to 32, 8 to 16 or from 4 to 16.I believe the 4 to 16 range might be more suitable for the UK...thanks again.

Reactions: Budmancan
YES, you certainly have to orient the PL filter to use it correctly. You need to have worked out its correct direction whilst in your hand and looking at reflective surfaces, then place onto MP with it sitting flat on the ground duplicating what you see from your eyes. PL filters remove scattered light making the contrast appear stronger, or remove the reflection off reflecting surfaces such as water (not metal though). The polarizing only works in one general direction. As an example look through polarizing sunglasses at water (with reflections) and rotate the glasses (around the z axis), you will see the effect. On outdoors cloud and atmosphere scattered light makes the effect not so directional, as light is being reflected off particles in the air from lots of different directions, but you still need to pick an orientation. We need really strong ND filters in Australia.

YES, you certainly have to orient the PL filter to use it correctly. You need to have worked out its correct direction whilst in your hand and looking at reflective surfaces, then place onto MP with it sitting flat on the ground duplicating what you see from your eyes. PL filters remove scattered light making the contrast appear stronger, or remove the reflection off reflecting surfaces such as water (not metal though). The polarizing only works in one general direction. As an example look through polarizing sunglasses at water (with reflections) and rotate the glasses (around the z axis), you will see the effect. On outdoors cloud and atmosphere scattered light makes the effect not so directional, as light is being reflected off particles in the air from lots of different directions, but you still need to pick an orientation. We need really strong ND filters in Australia.
many thanks

Also be sure to check on the different types of filters like the Polar Pro cinema line. They can be put on prior to gimbal calibration, some have to be put on after. Not sure if it affects gimbal performance, but I have the Polar Pro Cinema pack polarized filters and love them. As previous users stated, you have to orient a polarized filter for it to not ruin your image.

Not a dumb question at all. And I am surprised that PolaPro does not mention orientation on their site. Or am I missing something? Omnidirectional polarizer???

Reactions: Davidwh
So, I guess that after you find up and down on the polarizing filter, it would be a time saver to mark top-or-bottom (your choice) with a weightless scribe or Sharpie mark. I always feel bad about handling the gimbal as it is the heart and soul of the MP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji