DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumb question. What's better than DJI?

Huskerfan

Reactions
I've only owned a P3A, P3P and now a Mavic and I think they are the cats meow. What is remotely close to the Mavic in features and quality?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Well, given the derision that was directed at the GoPro Karma drone that was involved in a skyscraper collision in a recent news article that I posted here, I'm going to guess that you can safely scratch GoPro Karmas off the list.

To follow on the heels of Wombat55, you realize that this is a DJI group right? You might want to consider that many to most here are biased towards DJI products.

Reactions: Huskerfan
Ya, and I am too but thought some of us might have experience with other products. I can't really imagine owning anything other than DJI but wanted to ,make sure I didn't have tunnel vision

I've only owned a P3A, P3P and now a Mavic and I think they are the cats meow. What is remotely close to the Mavic in features and quality?

The Mavic PRO is in a class of it's own right now. For the features, quality, compact ability and it's amazing function the Mavic PRO is the KING of the sky until someone comes up with a better mouse trap!!!!;););)

Reactions: Huskerfan
In terms of "pro-sumer gentle flying for photography's sake," DJI has got a solid lock on the market at several price points. All of the examples you mentioned are here.

In terms of "high performance racing FPV sport," DJI is just now starting to invest in that space. The Mavic is NOT their entry into this space, but they have a new platform in the works for that.

In terms of "high performace cinematography," DJI has a couple credible entries in the space but there are quite a few custom companies doing great things with heavy-lift platforms.

In terms of "search and rescue, law enforcement, equipment inspection and other specialized camera work," DJI is a competitive option but again, there are some heavy-lift entries doing good things. I think there are multiple drones out there carrying FLIR cameras, for example.

In terms of "pro-sumer gentle flying for photography's sake," DJI has got a solid lock on the market at several price points. All of the examples you mentioned are here.

In terms of "high performance racing FPV sport," DJI is just now starting to invest in that space. The Mavic is NOT their entry into this space, but they have a new platform in the works for that.

In terms of "high performace cinematography," DJI has a couple credible entries in the space but there are quite a few custom companies doing great things with heavy-lift platforms.

In terms of "search and rescue, law enforcement, equipment inspection and other specialized camera work," DJI is a competitive option but again, there are some heavy-lift entries doing good things. I think there are multiple drones out there carrying FLIR cameras, for example.

I see what ur saying. So it depends on what you want to specialize in and there are specialty drones out there. Gotcha

The Eachine H8 is much better value for money, mine cost me €12.00 at Banggood.;).
Seriously though, it's a great little drone for those wet and windy days, and for learning to fly without electronic assistance..

There's nothing on the market that can beat DJI especially at their price to performance.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I am not saying that it is better but I had a Autel Xstar premium before I bought a Mavic. It was an excellent quad. I highly recommend it if it fits your needs. It was silly smooth and the camera and gimbal were awesome.

My opinion is...Dji is the top of the drone chain. If I were going to go a different route I'm pretty sure I would build my own. Got my eye on a setup like the new Matrice 200.

matrice-200s.png

I'm not a DJI Fan Boy I own other less expensive drones and I like them all the same so i'm not being biased when I say this but DJI is the industry standard for camera platform drones. Yuneec is its closest competitor but even then DJI blows them out of the water IMO.

One untapped niche that no one really owns right now is a water friendly drone. The latest Splash drone offering from Swell Pro comes the closest. Beyond it's waterproof qualities, it doesn't come remotely close to DJI's performance level, but with some further refinement (and some more serious backing; these guys still work off a shoe string budget) I could see a drone like this easily competing with DJI for water intensive applications. Heck, I almost bought this over a Mavic for that reason

Waterproofing a drone is no small feat. Everything gets way harder when "mostly" stuffed into a waterproof container (engines are still exposed in the Splash Drone). I suppose DJI could easily enter this market but I also suspect that they would need to dumb down many current features. I believe there is a real untapped niche market here that is up for grabs

I've always built my own and even then the DJI controllers were the best for the GPS camera ships . The first off the shelf system I finally bought was the Yuneec Q500 4k and it was a POS,IMO . The build quality was like a toy and the range sucked . I sold the Yuneec to get the Mavic . My friend has the Inspire 1 and now a Inspire2 and we can both agree that DJI has their $hit together . Nothing comes close right now . There are toys then there is DJI .

Reactions: Kestrel
NASA, Space X? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Pretty much, if you are serious about getting into the camera drone game you would be doing yourself a huge disservice by not buying one. They are expensive but they are worth every penny. You can try to buy other cheaper quads but the quality just isnt there. Even the Phantom 3 Standard blows pretty much every cheap drone out of the water, granted the range sucks on it but the video quality is second to none in that price range.

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using MavicPilots mobile app

If you're talking features and quality, there are better, more advanced drones out there. Bigger payloads, longer flights, mega-range, über-cameras, RTK navigation, the works. But it costs in the tens-of-thounsads league, needs a whole team to fly and are huge. And despite all that they'll get "old" pretty soon.

I've built my own quads and tested or owned many from other brands too. IMO there's really nothing even close to DJI at the moment when it comes to bang-for-the-buck. None has come close to even the Lightbridge. And the camera integration is also pretty amazing throughout their line.

It's not only a value thing, these prosumer ACs are serious business any way we look at it. Reliable, easy to fly, relatively safe, incredibly advanced, stable and long range. Quite long lasting too. And accessible.

DJI also has a wide range of drones, and their professional line is incredibly advanced as well. Their latest flight controlling systems are nothing short of a marvel. And they keep improving. How not to be a fan?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS