DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumbest Question Ever Asked on this forum......

aringhof

Reactions
Just opened my Mavic last night. It's my first drone. Quick question..... am I supposed to remove the clear plastic bubble OFF the drone's camera? Or is it supposed to fly with the plastic bubble to protect it while flying. It seems like it's supposed to stay there, but I got some kind of warning last night about it....

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

You need to remove that bubble as there is an air vent under it. There is also a gimbal lock holding the camera in place. As you did not remove the bubble, I doubt you removed the lock.

PLEASE.... read the online manual _BEFORE_ you fly again. Read it a few times.

Reactions: AdamMG
Better yet... please do watch the YouTube tutorials. It's extremely important for your own safety and the safety of others. Happy flying!!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

There was one small mention of it in the directions, and the smallest black and white graphic in the minuscule manual that came with the Mavic. I couldnt tell what it was referring to. Ill have to find the online directions which I hope are more helpful than the tiny manuals that came in the box

The warning is for the gimbal clamp under the bubble. I've flown with and without the bubble. With the bubble creates a certain amount of glare in some sun conditions. I'm not sure I see the benefits of flying with the bubble other than protection of the camera.

You need to remove that bubble as there is an air vent under it. There is also a gimbal lock holding the camera in place. As you did not remove the bubble, I doubt you removed the lock.

PLEASE.... read the online manual _BEFORE_ you fly again. Read it a few times.

This is not correct. The bubble has an opening that allows for airflow. You can fly with the bubble on.

This is not correct. The bubble has an opening that allows for airflow. You can fly with the bubble on.

It seemed to me the bubble could stay in there since it clipped into place and would protect the camera. Every pole camera or store camera has a similar bubble over it. It seems like wind and moisture in the air would hurt the cameras functionality over time without the bubble

It seemed to me the bubble could stay in there since it clipped into place and would protect the camera. Every pole camera or store camera has a similar bubble over it. It seems like wind and moisture in the air would hurt the cameras functionality over time without the bubble

The bubble is far from air tight. There's a slit on the side and around the edges which allows plenty of air to circulate when flying. So moisture gets in bubble or not.

It does not have an "opening". It's not air tight but when attached it lets in almost no air and no where near enough to keep the Mavic cool.

What I stated was 100% correct for the question. You can review the Mavic manual:

upload_2017-2-23_6-16-33.png

Certainly
you can fly with the bubble on if you would like. I'd not recommend it.

Reactions: Pedro
It does not have an "opening". It's not air tight but when attached it lets in almost no air and no where near enough to keep the Mavic cool.

What I stated was 100% correct for the question. You can review the Mavic manual:

View attachment 6974

Certainly
you can fly with the bubble on if you would like. I'd not recommend it.

That's for preparing to fly, not the actual flight. Look on the left side of the cover. It has a slit there and that's where the air flows through.

Please, can we put this to bed already. It's okay to fly with the bubble on. DJI themselves have it flying with the bubble on in the main promo image on the Mavic page.
PpjTHS9l.png

Please, can we put this to bed already. It's okay to fly with the bubble on. DJI themselves have it flying with the bubble on in the main promo image on the Mavic page.

That is an artist rendition of the Mavic flying, certainly not an actual picture of it in action. I'm not sure if I'd say such a thing is proof that it's okay. However, DJI rep's in the forums state that it can be left on. However, this is also from a company that allowed the batteries to turn off mid-flight if they got a little cold.

I'd place heat up there with water when it comes to things that kill electronics. I weight this against the possibility that the cover will actually make a difference if the drone crashes and that any sun glare will show up on the cover and basically ruin the shot. Do I think it would hurt to leave the cover on for some runs? No.. especially in cooler weather. Keep in mind, the Mavic came out the end of October and most people would be in cooler weather at that time. I don't know that it's had extensive testing in hot temps yet. As mentioned above, DJI has screwed up their designs in the past. I also think that DJI rushed out the Mavic. After just a few minutes with it I can find some design issues. I think DJI rushed it out to try to kill the Karma.

Don't throw the bubble or the gimbal clamp away either! Put them both back on when you're not flying. I've seen threads about people looking for replacements because they tossed them out and didn't realize they are necessary to keep the gimbal from being beat to death while you transport the quad around.

I have flown 15 missions with the cover on.
Three mishaps on landing might have saved the camera!
I Take it off when I really really really want that perfect shot.
Just got in a black plastic lens hood replacement with the cut out for the camera.
This may be my new go to item!

Reactions: paulbeumer
That is an artist rendition of the Mavic flying, certainly not an actual picture of it in action. I'm not sure if I'd say such a thing is proof that it's okay. However, DJI rep's in the forums state that it can be left on. However, this is also from a company that allowed the batteries to turn off mid-flight if they got a little cold.

I'd place heat up there with water when it comes to things that kill electronics. I weight this against the possibility that the cover will actually make a difference if the drone crashes and that any sun glare will show up on the cover and basically ruin the shot. Do I think it would hurt to leave the cover on for some runs? No.. especially in cooler weather. Keep in mind, the Mavic came out the end of October and most people would be in cooler weather at that time. I don't know that it's had extensive testing in hot temps yet. As mentioned above, DJI has screwed up their designs in the past. I also think that DJI rushed out the Mavic. After just a few minutes with it I can find some design issues. I think DJI rushed it out to try to kill the Karma.
Stepping in as an Electrical Engineer here. You are right that heat can kill, but not as quickly as water. Did you know that distilled water doesn't kill electrical equipment? Distilled water doesn't conduct so it can't short the board. Only water with ions, aka mineral water, or ocean water especially, will conduct the electrical current and cause a short.

Moving on to heat. Silicon chips, and well designed processors can typically withstand 110C without issue. Better ones even higher than that. I have never known a computer to fry at less that 80C. The Mavic on a hot day, lets say 32C as I'm in Thailand right now filming there, can get around 45C when idling with the cover on. It doesn't actually get hotter when flying because it's a computer and not a driving motor for the Mavic. So with the movement, the ventilation improves, even with the cover, so the Mavic cools down a little. Most of the heat is dissipated through the bottom anyways. The bottom is a massive heatsink.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun