DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Easiest way on a Mac to convert 2.7k/30 to display on a 1080p TV

dcpmark

Reactions
Handbrake? If so what settings to produce the best results?

Thanks in advance!

For me the easiest way is Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Media Encoder (great for batch processing). Both support H.264 and the recent i7 processors uses Intel QuickSync to speed up the process.

Handbrake is just fine-- I just loaded a new copy and there are some useful presets for "Super HQ 1080p", "HQ 1080p" or "Very Fast 1080p" etc.

I like Final Cut Pro X, but they don't have many options on the export-a-movie stuff anymore; they want you to buy their extra compression tool. So make your project in the highest resolution you can handle, such as 4K and use Handbrake to reduce if desired.

Thanks all.

I tried "Fast" and it worked fine. I then tried "Super HQ" and the video stuttered. Not sure if where the bottleneck was, but I realized that I was going about this all wrong as I was trying to play the mp4 videos directly in the USB port of my older 1080p TV. I have other more modern devices connected to the same TV that can handle video better (Apple TV 4th gen, TiVo Roamio Pro), so I'll just have to figure out which is best to display the finished videos and what settings to use for that device.

If you want to go 'Free' then Handbrake is fine, in the low cost arena I have found 'Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate' to be a very good all around video format converter/burner and I use it a lot. High end I use FCPX. On a side note if you need a 4K video player that will handle most anything then try '5kPlayer', much faster than VLC, and a cleaner interface. For streaming to my TV I use a 16Tb server streaming to a Nvidia Shield Android TV running the KODI app, awesome quality and plays everything I can throw at it.

Reactions: dcpmark
Oh, forgot I have Kodi on a Shield Portable connected to same TV....that's a THIRD way to watch the videos! :)

Now I just have to figure out the easiest way to transfer the videos from my Mac to the respective platforms (Tivo, Apple TV, Shield Portable), and what format is best.

Oh, forgot I have Kodi on a Shield Portable connected to same TV....that's a THIRD way to watch the videos! :)

Now I just have to figure out the easiest way to transfer the videos from my Mac to the respective platforms (Tivo, Apple TV, Shield Portable), and what format is best.
The Shield running KODI will stream directly from your MAC (although I have found it best to have a NAS) by setting up a share using AFP or SMB (I find SMB a little less troublesome), Apple TV is a problem as it will not use file sharing protocols unless jailbroken or using Firecore software. As for the Tivo you're on your own as it's old tech and I have never used it :)

Last edited:
Thanks! TiVo is the easiest for me as I have PyTivo already set up to pull video files from my Mac....just havent used it in a while so hopefully it still works, and I don't know what formats it can handle (I asked on a TiVo forum). But I will look into setting up file sharing on the Shield Portable as well.

Thanks! TiVo is the easiest for me as I have PyTivo already set up to pull video files from my Mac....just havent used it in a while so hopefully it still works, and I don't know what formats it can handle (I asked on a TiVo forum). But I will look into setting up file sharing on the Shield Portable as well.
I find the Shield running KODI is awesome, although I am not sure of the specs on the 'portable' as I have the quad-core Shield Android TV, and love it as I haven't found anything it cannot play, it even streams HEVC with Cinavia protection without a hiccup, also has apps for all of the streaming video services plus Amazon Prime Movies (with a helper app :) ) and access to all the games on the Playstore.

Portable has a Tegra 4 (1.9 GHz quad-core ARM), while yours has the Tegra X1....much more capable. But my needs aren't huge for my drone vacation videos...I'm shooting at 2.7k/30fps but I only need it to play at 1080p/30.

I use Handbrake and Davinci Resolve. Davinci resolve is quite a bit faster at the rendering though. Both free

I use Handbrake and Davinci Resolve. Davinci resolve is quite a bit faster at the rendering though. Both free
Sorry to bother you mate but it seems that you know quite a lot about video conversion right? i have a related problem as well and want to know if you can offer me a solution? Yesterday, i found this tutorial about video conversion when i was searching on the internet and it recommended me to download a videoconverter to convert MP4 . In this article, as you can see from ( http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/hd-crack.html.) it claims that the video size can be greatly compressed after conversion . But after downloading the software and converted my MP4 video file to AVI , the video size got even much bigger, around 50 percent larger than the original video file while the output quality still sucked becuase i did not change the video resolution nor bit rate and frame rate. Do you why such a weird problem occur?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3