DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing and playback?

Fly4grub

Reactions
Hey all...forgive me for my noobiness. Just got mavic last week and two things are readily apparent. First, how awesome of a machine it is and secondly, how woefully inadequate my computer is. On my MBpro circa 2010 all 4K and 2.7 K video looks choppy/jumpy. Only gets tolerable in 1080. I'm assuming laptop just can't handle the video playback. Going forward, what do you suggest for options for playback and editing capabilities? ( I am an apple guy ). Laptop or IMac ? Thanks for your help.

How are you playing back the video? From the card or copying to your desktop first? Using Quicktime or VLC Player? How much HD Space do you have available, how much RAM? I don't have any issue with my MBP. You may need to upgrade your RAM if you're not already maxed out. You should be able to stuff 16GB in there even though they say it will only support 8GB.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 12.27.32 PM.png

Not at laptop right now but I believe 8gb ram, about 30gb of HD space available. I'm simply uploading clips into macs' "photos" and just clicking and watching from there.

Hmm .. I think the PHOTOS app is clunky and that may be your issue. I would use Image Capture to copy the photos or simply drag them out of the mounted drive created when you plug in the card and into a new folder.

My 2010 MacBook Pro can't handle 4K. I found that my iPhone 6s Plus works well for dropping clips into iMovie and simple edits. Can't do much color correction like Final Cut Pro.

I will try that. Maybe that will help. You don't think that the older MBP might be the issue? I saw your specs and even though I don't have my laptop with me now, I know I'm no where near your MB specs....again it a 2010 model...thanks again for your help

If you're using FCPX or I suppose even Premiere Pro you can import 4K footage and create proxy files. Final Cut Pro will do it automatically, you edit your timeline with the proxies and before you export you switch to full quality, render and export.
I don't know too many folks who edit on the full res file anyway.

Are you recording in 4K for reason's other then displaying on your laptop or the like? That is, your 2010 laptop cannot display 4k so you may want to consider recording in 1080 or the like.

Are you recording in 4K for reason's other then displaying on your laptop or the like? That is, your 2010 laptop cannot display 4k so you may want to consider recording in 1080 or the like.

I can't recommend 1080 with the Mavic, if anything drop to 2.7k 30fps

"On my MBpro circa 2010 all 4K and 2.7 K video looks choppy/jumpy"

I don't see that this would solve the OP's problem.

The consensus from anyone who's serious about decent looking video is that 1080 from the Mavic is trash. So here's your dilemma; record decent video in 2.7K, create proxy files for editing, export the final project to Full HD or 2.7k or record not decent quality video so you can edit it, then post it so everyone can see how bad the quality is.

If I were facing this issue I would choose option 1 but; that's just me.

Ok. I think I get the gist of everyone's input....correct me if wrong. Older MB won't allow viewing 4K/2.7K, but if I can run FCPX on machine I will be able to edit files as such in proxy, then render back to HD. But unfortunately, still not watch final product on my MB due to age?

Ok. I think I get the gist of everyone's input....correct me if wrong. Older MB won't allow viewing 4K/2.7K, but if I can run FCPX on machine I will be able to edit files as such in proxy, then render back to HD. But unfortunately, still not watch final product on my MB due to age?

If you export a Full HD file (1920x1080), you should be able to watch it. Your machine should handle Full HD files with no problems. I keep all my files. I'm a photographer I've been doing it for years so If I have the highest res file in storage, I can always go back and manipulate that file later and probably with better results than I did the first time.

If you use FCPX you can setup your project as Full HD and then when importing the footage make sure to check the box for Make Proxy Media. Most likely your clips will be red until FCPX creates the proxy file. In your viewer window make sure you have Proxy checked. Create your movie, add color, transitions, etc and before you export it just go back to your Viewer window and uncheck Proxy and check Optimized Original and then export/share.

Sounds great. Thats what I will do. With the newer MB like yours, I assume you are capable of playing back in 4K?

Sounds great. Thats what I will do. With the newer MB like yours, I assume you are capable of playing back in 4K?

Yes but rarely am I ever because they are just too cumbersome, even for my MBP. Most stuff only goes to the web anyway and if I'm shooting for someone who wants to edit the footage themselves, I'm glad to hand it off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000