DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

Dear epson,
Please upgrade the Android box. Just look at what Odg is doing with the r-8.

I have been playing with the BT-300 for a few days now. Have not had a chance to fly with it due to weather but trying to shake out issues with the glasses itself. I too am having no luck getting maps to display. This morning I had the glasses and controller outside for 30 min. I have location turned on in settings. I am connected to a wi-fi hot spot and have internet access. I go into Google Maps on the Browser and it cannot find my location. I go into the Go 4 app and my map is blank. I have tried turning the China maps option on and on with no difference.

I am getting frustrated with these things to the point that if I can't see improvement this weekend, I'm likely to return them. I'm also frustrated that Epson seems to have zero technical support other than the guide and FAQs on their web site. There is no phone number, no chat, no email support.

Has anyone had any luck solving these problems?

Mate I had just cancelled my order from Amazon due to this concern I mean I expect to have some support for a 800 gadget

Just looked them up, incredible, including the price!
You just need to get some though.
Will watch the R8's with interest. Thank you.
The R8's look pretty cool. However, DJI and Epson have a partnership; I doubt DJI will share their api's with ODG. Unless this changes, you won't be flying your Mavic with the ODG R8's.

Reactions: Soundtekk
The R8's look pretty cool. However, DJI and Epson have a partnership; I doubt DJI will share their api's with ODG. Unless this changes, you won't be flying your Mavic with the ODG R8's.

Might make Epson step up to the plate a bit though....

Finally had a chance to fly with the BT-300. Still fairly windy around here so I limited the test to a short 10 minute flight in my backyard and stayed fairly low and close. I was flying with the 4.0.5 app which I was successfully able to install.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1) The map issue is still not resolved. I had GPS lock and was able to get my location in Google Maps. I had wi-fi. No maps loaded and the display still had Asian characters on it. Until this is resolved I will not do any serious flying with these glasses.

2) I was using the regular sunshades (I will try the Rochester shades tomorrow). I bought these glasses for two reasons - first I liked the idea of maintaining visual site of the Mavic while seeing a "heads-up" display of the DJI Go 4 app and second, I was hoping for a brighter image of the Mavic camera feed than I could get with my iPhone or iPad. What I found today is that neither goal seems to be accomplished. The shades are dark enough that it was hard to see the Mavic, especially against any dark background, but you need shades or you can't see the display. The display was also not bright enough (even with brightness turned all the way up) to be able to see detail in what the Mavic camera was seeing. I'm guessing the Rochester shades will help the image brightness but significantly degrade the ability to see the aircraft.

3) I dislike the fact that you have to wear earbuds to get sound. I find the earbuds significantly reduce my situational awareness because they block out sounds and I don't like the extra tangle of wires to deal with. I think for this price, the controller should have a speaker so you can hear DJI Go warnings without earbuds. I am going to try a bluetooth earpiece and see if that helps and also will try flying with only one earbud in.

4) I have a large head and the distance between my pupils is large. This caused two issues. First the glasses are tight on my head and get uncomfortable with prolonged wear. Second, because of the distance between my pupils, I have to wear the glasses toward the end of my nose to be able to see the whole width of the display in both eyes. I wish they had made an adjustment for this like binoculars do. It strikes me they could've made the prisms slide together or apart to adjust this somehow.

5) The touch pad is incredibly sensitive and just the smallest bump with your fingers can select something you don't want. The other pad at the top of the controller seems to work sometimes and not others. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.

6) The 4.0.5 version of the app seemed to work just fine (with the exception of maps) though I didn't try all of the flight modes.

I am trying to keep an open mind at this point and am sensitive to the fact that any new interface takes some getting used to. I will do some more flying before I make my final conclusions.

I'm interested to hear if any others have had similar experiences.

Reactions: Mr Spock
Just spent the last 60 minutes flying with my BT-300 and Mavic. All I can say is wow! The included Rochester shades really make a big difference.The video feed is something to behold. It was plenty bright, no filcker, and compared to my Fatshark Dominator V3, there is no comparison. I didn't notice any lag either.

The map troubles are really not a huge issue for me. I just need to know how to get home in case I get lost. For that purpose, I am satisfied. In the end, I just want a crystal clear video feed and the BT-300 hits the mark for me. The BT-300 video feed works perfectly with no drama - which is all I want out of this technology.

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to fly with the BT-300. Still fairly windy around here so I limited the test to a short 10 minute flight in my backyard and stayed fairly low and close. I was flying with the 4.0.5 app which I was successfully able to install.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1) The map issue is still not resolved. I had GPS lock and was able to get my location in Google Maps. I had wi-fi. No maps loaded and the display still had Asian characters on it. Until this is resolved I will not do any serious flying with these glasses.

2) I was using the regular sunshades (I will try the Rochester shades tomorrow). I bought these glasses for two reasons - first I liked the idea of maintaining visual site of the Mavic while seeing a "heads-up" display of the DJI Go 4 app and second, I was hoping for a brighter image of the Mavic camera feed than I could get with my iPhone or iPad. What I found today is that neither goal seems to be accomplished. The shades are dark enough that it was hard to see the Mavic, especially against any dark background, but you need shades or you can't see the display. The display was also not bright enough (even with brightness turned all the way up) to be able to see detail in what the Mavic camera was seeing. I'm guessing the Rochester shades will help the image brightness but significantly degrade the ability to see the aircraft.

3) I dislike the fact that you have to wear earbuds to get sound. I find the earbuds significantly reduce my situational awareness because they block out sounds and I don't like the extra tangle of wires to deal with. I think for this price, the controller should have a speaker so you can hear DJI Go warnings without earbuds. I am going to try a bluetooth earpiece and see if that helps and also will try flying with only one earbud in.

4) I have a large head and the distance between my pupils is large. This caused two issues. First the glasses are tight on my head and get uncomfortable with prolonged wear. Second, because of the distance between my pupils, I have to wear the glasses toward the end of my nose to be able to see the whole width of the display in both eyes. I wish they had made an adjustment for this like binoculars do. It strikes me they could've made the prisms slide together or apart to adjust this somehow.

5) The touch pad is incredibly sensitive and just the smallest bump with your fingers can select something you don't want. The other pad at the top of the controller seems to work sometimes and not others. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.

6) The 4.0.5 version of the app seemed to work just fine (with the exception of maps) though I didn't try all of the flight modes.

I am trying to keep an open mind at this point and am sensitive to the fact that any new interface takes some getting used to. I will do some more flying before I make my final conclusions.

I'm interested to hear if any others have had similar experiences.
With u 100%...

Yeah, it's totally senseless that they (Shapeways) don't package both sides together. Especially since you can't use one side without the other.
If you upload them as one object then they will print together and be seen as one item. You have to connect them with a sprue or a loop of material that passes through a hole in each of the components. This may also reduce the cost as long as the connection doesn't significantly increase the print volume and material used.

Just spent the last 60 minutes flying with my BT-300 and Mavic. All I can say is wow! The included Rochester shades really make a big difference.The video feed is something to behold. It was plenty bright, no filcker, and compared to my Fatshark Dominator V3, there is no comparison. I didn't notice any lag either.

The map troubles are really not a huge issue for me. I just need to know how to get home in case I get lost. For that purpose, I am satisfied. In the end, I just want a crystal clear video feed and the BT-300 hits the mark for me. The BT-300 video feed works perfectly with no drama - which is all I want out of this technology.

Couldn't agree more!! I tried the Epson BT-200's a couple of years ago and was impressed then. I think the BT-300's are AWESOME for drone applications. The picture quality is Amazing IMO when paired with the appropriate shade - I like the one included from Rochester (looks cool too ;)

As for the criticism/concerns - To each his own... Would I love to have these for $600.00? Yes absolutely! Do I think that's realistic given this is a high quality, complete package, and will likely not be sold in huge quantities - NO. Heck, some cell phones cost more than that these days...

Would I like to have the latest and greatest processor, operating system, etc.. Of course! Is it sufficient in its current form for our purposes? IMO - YES.

My experience with the glasses running the latest DJI GO 4 App (4.0.5) has been ALMOST perfect. As previously noted, the map is currently not displaying correctly. I would expect that to be corrected relatively easily and hopefully in the very near future. Honestly, for my purposes, the map is of limited value, I can either see the Mavic's location in flight or I'm looking at an equivalent 82'' inch screen through the glasses of what the drone sees!! I know EXACTLY where it is.... NOTE: I also tested the RTH feature to ensure it was just an issue with map display and not actual drone location. RTH functioned correctly confirming this is just a map display issue.

As far as the touch pad use - Frankly, I find it fine. Is there a trade off - Off course there is. Similar to the difference between using a touch pad vs mouse on a laptop or even more so, a touch pad vs touch screen. I personally do not find a need to go deep into the application once I'm in flight. Most of what I need to do/change can be done on the Mavic controller itself without a need to interface with the application.

Now having said all that - If you're into true cinematography or Litchi missions, a tablet will certainly serve you better. For me however, I don't like having to constantly look down at the controller and then back up at the aircraft. As a retired Army Pilot (Cobra/Fixed-Wing) who just wants to explore and capture some really cool pictures/video and get the aerial perspective I was use to seeing on a daily basis, the BT-300's can't be beat!! .

Keep in mind these can be used for MANY other things as well! I have DirecTV, Amazon Prime Video, and the UFC App loaded as well. What a cool way to watch TV, Moves, Fights, etc while traveling, on a plane, the hotel, the beech - Anywhere! Too bad I can't where them at work... LOL!! ;) Also, you don't need to use the included wired earbuds. I use a set of Bluetooth wireless earbuds (Jaybird X2's).

Screenshot attached - Best wishes!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-19-09-52-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-03-19-09-52-27.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: MavPro75
Couldn't agree more!! I tried the Epson BT-200's a couple of years ago and was impressed then. I think the BT-300's are AWESOME for drone applications. The picture quality is Amazing IMO when paired with the appropriate shade - I like the one included from Rochester (looks cool too ;)

As for the criticism/concerns - To each his own... Would I love to have these for $600.00? Yes absolutely! Do I think that's realistic given this is a high quality, complete package, and will likely not be sold in huge quantities - NO. Heck, some cell phones cost more than that these days...

Would I like to have the latest and greatest processor, operating system, etc.. Of course! Is it sufficient in its current form for our purposes? IMO - YES.

My experience with the glasses running the latest DJI GO 4 App (4.0.5) has been ALMOST perfect. As previously noted, the map is currently not displaying correctly. I would expect that to be corrected relatively easily and hopefully in the very near future. Honestly, for my purposes, the map is of limited value, I can either see the Mavic's location in flight or I'm looking at an equivalent 82'' inch screen through the glasses of what the drone sees!! I know EXACTLY where it is.... NOTE: I also tested the RTH feature to ensure it was just an issue with map display and not actual drone location. RTH functioned correctly confirming this is just a map display issue.

As far as the touch pad use - Frankly, I find it fine. Is there a trade off - Off course there is. Similar to the difference between using a touch pad vs mouse on a laptop or even more so, a touch pad vs touch screen. I personally do not find a need to go deep into the application once I'm in flight. Most of what I need to do/change can be done on the Mavic controller itself without a need to interface with the application.

Now having said all that - If you're into true cinematography or Litchi missions, a tablet will certainly serve you better. For me however, I don't like having to constantly look down at the controller and then back up at the aircraft. As a retired Army Pilot (Cobra/Fixed-Wing) who just wants to explore and capture some really cool pictures/video and get the aerial perspective I was use to seeing on a daily basis, the BT-300's can't be beat!! .

Keep in mind these can be used for MANY other things as well! I have DirecTV, Amazon Prime Video, and the UFC App loaded as well. What a cool way to watch TV, Moves, Fights, etc while traveling, on a plane, the hotel, the beech - Anywhere! Too bad I can't where them at work... LOL!! ;) Also, you don't need to use the included wired earbuds. I use a set of Bluetooth wireless earbuds (Jaybird X2's).

Screenshot attached - Best wishes!!
Awesome! I see your using the Nova launcher? I have Cortana installed as well for voice commands

Reactions: Johnnyaibo
It runs the latest standard Android as a base. You just cinnect to your controller via USB. Now you got a speedy snap dragon android with amazing optics for the same price as the epson

It runs the latest standard Android as a base. You just cinnect to your controller via USB. Now you got a speedy snap dragon android with amazing optics for the same price as the epson
Sounds interesting. Just how would you connect it to the BT-300 since the connection port is proprietary ?

I was just looking at them and couldn't figure them out until you just said I have to order both sides. Makes sense now.
Thanks
I was looking into the moverio mounts for mavic, at $35 dollars I thought why can't I buy the tablet mount for mavic ($17) and just use the phantom mounts that come with the glasses instead, it a cost savings and in this hobby every penny counts. I have not received the mavic mount yet, I will update on its compatibility and feel

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000