DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Everyone should try flying indoors

Well, post after post after post when the exact same problem occurs. And this same issue can be found in other threads, is posted about regularly, and should be shouted at new Mavic owners somehow: Do not fly indoors! (unless you learn everything about how to do it right)

The problem is three-fold, and is very common inside people's homes, which is where most of these crashes happen:
  1. Can't get GPS lock
  2. VPS system malfunctions due to poor lighting and/or difficult surface patterns and composition
  3. Obstacle Avoidance sensors malfunction due to poor lighting and/or problematic patterns in OA cameras
1. When no GPS lock can be obtained, the aircraft flies in ATTI mode without knowing it's position or GPS altitude. In this mode position stability is only available via VPS, and altitude will be maintained solely by the barometric altimeter.

2. VPS relies on two sensing methods: Visual pattern shifting/matching from downward facing cameras, and precision altitude measurement via ultrasonic ranging. When the surface below the Mavic is uniform in appearance, or has a dense, random-like pattern (paisley bedspread, for example), or lighting is poor -- all of these can confuse the image-matching algorithm to think it's moving when it isn't, so it corrects. Sometimes dramatically.

Similarly, soft, poorly-reflective surfaces can confuse the ultrasonic system, giving inconsistent, noisy/varying altitude returns. This can cause erratic vertical behavior trying to hover at a fixed elevation over the "ground".

Carpet fits just about all the bad things outlined above, especially darker colors.

Finally, 3. The OA cameras can get confused in the same way the VPS sensors can. Uniform, patternless surfaces -- like painted walls -- can cause all sorts of strange behavior. Remember that OA is intended to detect obstacles starting about 15m (45 feet) away, so it can brake in time. The small confined space of a bedroom or living room is too "boxed in" to have the OA sensors functional.

So, the answer to all this is to turn all that stuff off if you plan to fly indoors. Prop guards are a must too with a bird this powerful. Finally, understand that, in this configuration you are really flying "manual" -- the aircraft doesn't hold position for you, or brake. Don't learn how to fly this way with the Mavic... spend $40 and get a mini altitude-hold toy drone and learn with that.

Last edited:
Flying a Mavic indoors is not a good idea. Many Mavic owners have crashed when attempting to do so.

I tried once & a big mistake, I put the head of the Mavic facing me when it should be facing away from me, it flew & I lost my orientation, when right is left & left is right, it crashed into my front door, cut a few deep cuts, I will never fly indoor anymore

I'd assume that the biggest problem here is not the Mavic, but that fact that when GPS assisted flight is unavailable that a lot of people can't actually fly it. That said, the Mavic is not well suited to flight indoors as you can't switch off all the sensors that will most likely cause issues. GPS when detected indoors tends to cause wandering as the GPS signal is not direct from a satellite but actually being reflected of objects in the house.

I strongly advise getting a micro quad like the Blade Indutrix and teaching yourself the basics of unassisted (stabalised (self level) only) flight. Flying these indoors is great fun and teaches the basics of stabalised flight. A mini 25g quad with shrouded props will also not smash your TV, blow things off the sideboard or cut anything!

That said, I'd not advise flying any large quad indoors or in a very confined space such as a house (unless you're mega wealthy with massive living spaces).

Last edited:
I flew my P4 inside back in August 2016, crashed into my way heater. 2 props broken. Never will I fly indoors again. I'm even scared to fly my Spark inside [emoji29]

So glad I read all this up as I'm yet to own a Mavic. I currently have a 'peasant' P3S as it doesn't have any sophisticated sensors you can't switch off and has a full manual atti mode which won't mean GPS kicking in at random.
I have tried flying indoors in atti mode and to my surprise it's not as scary as I thought! Elevation barely changes it's the side to side drift that needs correcting the most. I keep my feet grounded though as I know it's a reckless thing to do and one false input would send my props chopping into furniture and walls!
I'd say I'm pretty comfortable flying my P3S outdoors in atti mode now but I will still stay cautious when I get the Mavic as everything this forum has taught me it is a more sophisticated drone. And the one thing that's stuck in my mind are how easily the VPS can be fooled indoors/low light.
And no, I won't be flying indoors!

So glad I read all this up as I'm yet to own a Mavic. I currently have a 'peasant' P3S as it doesn't have any sophisticated sensors you can't switch off and has a full manual atti mode which won't mean GPS kicking in at random.
I have tried flying indoors in atti mode and to my surprise it's not as scary as I thought! Elevation barely changes it's the side to side drift that needs correcting the most. I keep my feet grounded though as I know it's a reckless thing to do and one false input would send my props chopping into furniture and walls!
I'd say I'm pretty comfortable flying my P3S outdoors in atti mode now but I will still stay cautious when I get the Mavic as everything this forum has taught me it is a more sophisticated drone. And the one thing that's stuck in my mind are how easily the VPS can be fooled indoors/low light.

When I add optical flow sensing to the underside of my home builds, I also add an array of multiple LED on the underside of the craft to spread light across the floor below. This means that the camera can see clearly see the space below and hold position. In low light, the system becomes unstable as it simply can't see enough contrast in the floor below to be functional. Also the array of light stops shadowing, which can cause the sensor to think the craft is wandering. Also important to note, when the floor below has no pattern or texture, position will not hold as the sensor needs contract to register motion.

Elevation is controlled by pressure sensor and/or sonar. Pressure sensors are pretty good, but can cause wandering as pressure is not easy to measure with high accuracy over small changes in altitude, this tends to lead to a bit of vertical wandering. Sonar on the other hand is quite good in a house as it can be accurate to + or - 1cm if a good sensor is selected. Sonar can however be effected by flying over materials that absorb sound rather than reflecting it and they can be susceptible when loud volume sounds or vibrations are occurring in the flight area.

You are definitely correct, the horizontal motion needs to be corrected for mostly as this will help avoid hitting things or avoid getting close to walls or ceilings which is where unstable air currents occur.

As for your PS3, its a good craft, you just have to be able to fly it to get reasonably good video or pictures while using it. You've probably got one up on most in here as the P3S will have taught you to actually be a pilot.

Reactions: J888TSG
I for one have flown in doors once no guards just as I got it off the ground it went sideways did an emergency shut down and all was good then thought what about out side how would it go on a slightly windy day in atti mode so I put some aluminium foil over the rear to cover up the gps worked the treat but at 6 ft high was still stable as the ground positioning sensors were still on so next was to turn them off well that made it very interesting to try and keep it in one spot it was very much to the point uncontrollable correct it one way it would go another it had a mind of its own it is worth a try but make sure u are in a very large space as you will need it, I haven't tried it on a non windy day yet but going to give it a go with no wind and see if it is any better should be but I am not holding my breath tho

Once you get hold of your Mavic, you will find it very easy to fly & as for me, I jumped straight from a China copy drone to the Mavic Pro, even it is expensive for me, I know I had to have it, no regret at all.

Reactions: J888TSG
I like my TV the way it is, thank you.
If the drone is bigger than your hand, I would not fly it in my home. garage maybe.
Just too much mass to do too much damage.

Any trained pilot with a descent education in the principles of flight can tell you what will happen indoors without ever flying there. It's all about air pressure. Any spinning blade will create a vortex near a wall or a ceiling, lowering the air pressure at that point instantly and dramatically, sucking your bird to the wall or ceiling.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121