DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

External hd- iMac HD-Best config

debric france

Reactions
Hi,
I am planing to buy a iMac 5k to edit my Mavic footage.
After days on internet I think I will get the one with ssd inside and external hard drive for all my rushes.
I was thinking to a D2 Thunderbolt from lacie.
Can someone tell me how to organize myself?
Applications, project on iMac,
Rushes on external hard drive..
I don t want to wait for hour while I am editing full 4K material.
What is the best configuration?
What is your choice for external hardrive?

Thanks for helping

that is all fine. You will see the best results if you are working in 4K by using Proxy files, which will really speed up the editing. There are plenty of videos on that for whatever software you are using (FCP, Premiere, Vegas and others).

Personally, I use an external drive for storage of raw files only. When I am working on a project, I pull the video files to my computer, create the project and then point to where I have the files stored locally. I will still use Proxy files, as it allows me to watch the previews in real time, without issue. Then, once rendered, I save the project and remove the video files from the computer. If I need them again, they are on my storage drive.

And while being able to shoot and edit 4K is great, unless it is for a paid project, I convert them to HD. Rarely will anyone on the internet really see 4K from YouTube, and even more rare will they even have a monitor that will handle it. So think about the audience and the project and if 4K isnt needed, skip it. Just my thoughts.

that is all fine. You will see the best results if you are working in 4K by using Proxy files, which will really speed up the editing. There are plenty of videos on that for whatever software you are using (FCP, Premiere, Vegas and others).

Personally, I use an external drive for storage of raw files only. When I am working on a project, I pull the video files to my computer, create the project and then point to where I have the files stored locally. I will still use Proxy files, as it allows me to watch the previews in real time, without issue. Then, once rendered, I save the project and remove the video files from the computer. If I need them again, they are on my storage drive.

And while being able to shoot and edit 4K is great, unless it is for a paid project, I convert them to HD. Rarely will anyone on the internet really see 4K from YouTube, and even more rare will they even have a monitor that will handle it. So think about the audience and the project and if 4K isnt needed, skip it. Just my thoughts.

BradBuskey
Thank you for your advices
I am planning to do a 4K documentary shot with Sony XDCAM and with few mavic shots. I am going to check proxy Video on YouTube for fcp .

What is you external hard drive?

My Book Pro – Professional RAID Storage | Western Digital (WD)

With 16 TB

Again, I am not editing off those drives, so their individual speed doesn't matter. They are for storage. My editing takes place on the 1TB drive in my compute
17.3 inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IGZO IPS Anti-Glare 400-nits Display
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133Mhz (16GBx2)
512GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

My Book Pro – Professional RAID Storage | Western Digital (WD)

With 16 TB

Again, I am not editing off those drives, so their individual speed doesn't matter. They are for storage. My editing takes place on the 1TB drive in my compute
17.3 inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IGZO IPS Anti-Glare 400-nits Display
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133Mhz (16GBx2)
512GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Does this one existing on store?
 link?
Thx

I did post the link.

I got the chassis while doing a beta test for WD, and it came with 2 4TB drives, I put my own 8TB drives in once the beta was over.

I did post the link.

I got the chassis while doing a beta test for WD, and it came with 2 4TB drives, I put my own 8TB drives in once the beta was over.

Sorry
My fault
I was looking for your 17 inch with the 8gb graphic card

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11