DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extra protection from prop guards?

marc r

Reactions
I'm wondering if flying with prop guards all the time might be a good idea. I recently installed them because I fly around a lot of trees at low level (you never know when a small branch will take you out).
My thinking is, in the event of a crash, will the prop guards absorb some of the impact and reduce damage. I'd rather replace an $8.00 prop guard than send it off for repair. I guess I'm asking if you think the connection point is sturdy enough to make a difference ?

For sure, it seems a good idea around obstacles - it probably can't hurt since if they hit an obstacle a prop probably would have hit the same with worse consequences. You will get worse battery life, but in your scenario of often flying near obstacles I'd put mine on too.

I'm not convinced of their ability to stop many crashes - you can still put a bunch of twigs up through one into a prop, you can still put stuff between the gaps in the guards etc, but they've got to be better than nothing if you know you're going to be near obstacles.

Reactions: marc r
I'm wondering if flying with prop guards all the time might be a good idea. I recently installed them because I fly around a lot of trees at low level (you never know when a small branch will take you out).
My thinking is, in the event of a crash, will the prop guards absorb some of the impact and reduce damage. I'd rather replace an $8.00 prop guard than send it off for repair. I guess I'm asking if you think the connection point is sturdy enough to make a difference ?

Only pb with guards for me is when there is wind, the Mavic is fighting more against it

Reactions: marc r
Good points. I have to be carful not to get too confident with those on. I do feel it to be a little "sluggish" .

Reactions: debric france
Prop guards: I am a new Mavic owner and I have only been flying it for 2 weeks. For me I noticed that the guards also help me keep my orientation visually. I know the green and red are supposed to do that, but I need all the help I can get! I have not flown long enough to have instinct about anything. I have to think about what I am doing. Seeing the guards at this point help me just a little.

Are prop guards really protecting you from the trees or are you more careful with the props on? Prop guards are really only good for solid objects that you might bump horizontally right, so branches can still get caught in the propellers. My son (17 years old) just crashed my mavic (twice) on Sunday and I had to send it back to DJI for repair/refresh and here's what I can tell you from the characteristics of his crash.

The mavic fell from less than 10 feet high onto a concrete slab and 3 of the 4 props pretty much snapped in half and gimbal cracked in multiple places. I think because of the way quick release props push down and turn lock into place you probably have a higher chance of the props snapping off near the center point regardless if you have guards on or not.

I'm relatively new to flying as well and orientation is a struggle at times. Prop guards, slow and easy and never touch the "sport" mode switch[emoji4].

I'm relatively new to flying as well and orientation is a struggle at times. Prop guards, slow and easy and never touch the "sport" mode switch[emoji4].

Are you flying by looking at your mobile device or by looking at your Mavic? Once you get more comfortable and have identified the hazards in your flight path you might be surprised to learn that flying by using what you see in your device screen is a lot easier.

Are prop guards really protecting you from the trees or are you more careful with the props on? Prop guards are really only good for solid objects that you might bump horizontally right, so branches can still get caught in the propellers. My son (17 years old) just crashed my mavic (twice) on Sunday and I had to send it back to DJI for repair/refresh and here's what I can tell you from the characteristics of his crash.

The mavic fell from less than 10 feet high onto a concrete slab and 3 of the 4 props pretty much snapped in half and gimbal cracked in multiple places. I think because of the way quick release props push down and turn lock into place you probably have a higher chance of the props snapping off near the center point regardless if you have guards on or not.

I think your right, the guards are a confidence booster. I would not go into some of the places I go without them but I doubt they add much protection. No crashes so far! Here's hoping my luck holds out.

Are you flying by looking at your mobile device or by looking at your Mavic? Once you get more comfortable and have identified the hazards in your flight path you might be surprised to learn that flying by using what you see in your device screen is a lot easier.

I'm trying that more and more. I find myself following the Mavic around sometimesm

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura