DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA is nuts (Instrument rated pilot)

Aeroworks

Reactions
I have been looking over the remote pilot certification and all that is required. It really burns me that I have to pay $150 to take the test, which is basically a watered down private pilot exam.
I already have my private pilot's license and Instrument rating (not current). You would think that I would be able to fill out a form and have the remote pilot cert as a bolt on to my current license.

They trust me to fly a real plane in zero viability over a metropolitan area but I can't fly a toy 50 feet and take photos for a few bucks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

The key to your dilemma is that you are not current.
If you had a biennial flight review in the preceding 24 calendar months you would not have to pay the test center fee.

If you had a biennial flight review in the preceding 24 calendar months you would not have to pay the test center fee.

In addition, he would not have to take the full test. I believe current Part 61 pilots can just take the short online course FAA has, take a short test based on the course, and if passed, you get your additional license in the mail a while later.

Reactions: ascension
I have been looking over the remote pilot certification and all that is required. It really burns me that I have to pay $150 to take the test, which is basically a watered down private pilot exam.
I already have my private pilot's license and Instrument rating (not current). You would think that I would be able to fill out a form and have the remote pilot cert as a bolt on to my current license.

They trust me to fly a real plane in zero viability over a metropolitan area but I can't fly a toy 50 feet and take photos for a few bucks..

The $150 is not for taking the test is for a background check.

The $150 is not for taking the test is for a background check.

Where are you guys getting this information? Current part 61 pilots take a simple online test, print the completion paper out, and find a CFI to finish the online IACRA process just like adding a rating to your license. Then you wait a few weeks for your remote pilot cert to appear from the FAA. Should be entirely free if you're friends with a CFI to complete the process, if not they may charge you an hour for your time.

Definitely no need to go to the FAA testing center, pay $150, background check, none of that...

Where are you guys getting this information? Current part 61 pilots take a simple online test, print the completion paper out, and find a CFI to finish the online IACRA process just like adding a rating to your license. Then you wait a few weeks for your remote pilot cert to appear from the FAA. Should be entirely free if you're friends with a CFI to complete the process, if not they may charge you an hour for your time.

Definitely no need to go to the FAA testing center, pay $150, background check, none of that...

All of the responses regarding the $150 are for people who are not current. You are correct if you are current.
Nobody disputes that..

Fair enough but where does the $150 number come from? I guess there are two paths one could go down- either go about the remote certificate as if you are not a part 61 cert holder, or get current and take the online test, IACRA, etc...

It seems to me if you're a pilot needing currency you may as well kill two birds with one stone- get current and get your remote pilot certificate at the same time. Currency should only require a BFR and some takeoffs and landings. Which, of course could breach $150 but you're getting some air and CFI time also- and you skip another FAA written test and all the brain damage that comes with that.

Fair enough but where does the $150 number come from? I guess there are two paths one could go down- either go about the remote certificate as if you are not a part 61 cert holder, or get current and take the online test, IACRA, etc...

It seems to me if you're a pilot needing currency you may as well kill two birds with one stone- get current and get your remote pilot certificate at the same time. Currency should only require a BFR and some takeoffs and landings. Which, of course could breach $150 but you're getting some air and CFI time also- and you skip another FAA written test and all the brain damage that comes with that.

I guess it depends on your situation, but again, if you're not current, you need to do one or the other.
In my case, an opportunity came up and someone needed a licensed operator quick.
I retired as a 777 captain, but my last check flight was 2 months beyond the 2 year limit.
I have absolutely no interest in going to a local CFI and getting current, and I have no interest in flying small airplanes.
So....I did a quick review of the free test sites, schedule the test for the next day and got it done.
I had the temp certificate within five days and helped the guy out.
Much easier than "getting current."

BFR and a current medical. Not sure about flight currency.

I guess it depends on your situation, but again, if you're not current, you need to do one or the other.
In my case, an opportunity came up and someone needed a licensed operator quick.
I retired as a 777 captain, but my last check flight was 2 months beyond the 2 year limit.
I have absolutely no interest in going to a local CFI and getting current, and I have no interest in flying small airplanes.
So....I did a quick review of the free test sites, schedule the test for the next day and got it done.
I had the temp certificate within five days and helped the guy out.
Much easier than "getting current."
Good Gouge!! 747 Ret.

I am just outside the 2 year mark now myself. Sold our 172 and currently building a Light sport plane to take off and land out of my back yard (no plane currently means I am not flying, avionics and engines cost serious $$$ so it's a slow build). I am head of IT where I work and company president who is a CFI owes me a favor. I was going to try to hold off on cashing in the chip for the free flight biannual until we get our new plane built. Is there a way I can do some papers and or have him sign off a ground school log to get the cert added? Also is it an addition to my actual card or will it be something completely different I have to keep track of?

I believe you need to have a BFR within two years signed off.
It is a different certificate.

If you are current you don't take the test. Just fill out an online form. Otherwise you need to take the test.

I'm a commercial instrument pilot, did it all online and it didn't cost me a cent. What am I missing?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929