FAA is nuts (Instrument rated pilot)

Discussion in 'sUAV Rules & Regulations' started by Aeroworks, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Aeroworks

Aeroworks Well-Known Member

I have been looking over the remote pilot certification and all that is required. It really burns me that I have to pay $150 to take the test, which is basically a watered down private pilot exam.
    I already have my private pilot's license and Instrument rating (not current). You would think that I would be able to fill out a form and have the remote pilot cert as a bolt on to my current license.

They trust me to fly a real plane in zero viability over a metropolitan area but I can't fly a toy 50 feet and take photos for a few bucks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

Brianna likes this.
  2. ascension

ascension Well-Known Member

The key to your dilemma is that you are not current.
    If you had a biennial flight review in the preceding 24 calendar months you would not have to pay the test center fee.

Snoweman and kennedye like this.
  3. DesertWindAero

DesertWindAero Well-Known Member

In addition, he would not have to take the full test. I believe current Part 61 pilots can just take the short online course FAA has, take a short test based on the course, and if passed, you get your additional license in the mail a while later.

ascension likes this.
  4. Helo

Helo Active Member

The $150 is not for taking the test is for a background check.

5. Crenshaw

Crenshaw New Member

Where are you guys getting this information? Current part 61 pilots take a simple online test, print the completion paper out, and find a CFI to finish the online IACRA process just like adding a rating to your license. Then you wait a few weeks for your remote pilot cert to appear from the FAA. Should be entirely free if you're friends with a CFI to complete the process, if not they may charge you an hour for your time.

Definitely no need to go to the FAA testing center, pay $150, background check, none of that...

6. ascension

All of the responses regarding the $150 are for people who are not current. You are correct if you are current.
    Nobody disputes that..

7. Crenshaw

Crenshaw New Member

Fair enough but where does the $150 number come from? I guess there are two paths one could go down- either go about the remote certificate as if you are not a part 61 cert holder, or get current and take the online test, IACRA, etc...

It seems to me if you're a pilot needing currency you may as well kill two birds with one stone- get current and get your remote pilot certificate at the same time. Currency should only require a BFR and some takeoffs and landings. Which, of course could breach $150 but you're getting some air and CFI time also- and you skip another FAA written test and all the brain damage that comes with that.

8. ascension

I guess it depends on your situation, but again, if you're not current, you need to do one or the other.
    In my case, an opportunity came up and someone needed a licensed operator quick.
    I retired as a 777 captain, but my last check flight was 2 months beyond the 2 year limit.
    I have absolutely no interest in going to a local CFI and getting current, and I have no interest in flying small airplanes.
    So....I did a quick review of the free test sites, schedule the test for the next day and got it done.
    I had the temp certificate within five days and helped the guy out.
    Much easier than "getting current."

9. Sisyphus

Sisyphus New Member

BFR and a current medical. Not sure about flight currency.