DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107 Question Class E airspace

Threshold

Reactions
I am in the process of studying for my FAA UAV license. I was reading about Class E (SFC) airspace, which goes from surface to 1,200' (I believe). It is marked on sectionals as a magenta dashed line, and usually runs perpendicular to an airport. So, my question is, why isn't Class E (SFC) airspace picked up by drone warning software? Shouldn't all drone pilots be warned about these areas? The Class E (SFC) areas extend beyond the 5 mile airport rule.

Reactions: wardw and Anthonyk
Here's the story on Class E airspace (I am a licensed pilot so I have to deal with this regularly).

Most airspace in the United States is class E. Theairspace above FL600 is also class E. No ATC clearance or radio communication is required for VFR flight in class E airspace. VFR visibility and cloud clearance requirements are the same as for class C and D airspaces when below 10,000 feet (3,000 m) MSL.

The magenta area you are talking about on sectionals is actually the airport's class E transition area.

Shouldn't all drone pilots be warned about these areas? The Class E (SFC) areas extend beyond the 5 mile airport rule.

I'm not trying to cause tension but shouldn't you be familiar about where you're flying before you take off anyway, as part of your preflight planning or preflight checklist? How would you be able to defend yourself against the non informed pedestrian or officer if you yourself aren't informed? I can only assume that the warnings within the software are a friendly gesture by the manufacturer to "be aware" but you aren't prevented from actually taking off unless you start up in an NFZ.

There weren't very many questions on my test about class E airspace other than how to identify them and their elevations on a map so from a testing standpoint, as long as you can do that you should be good.

I was reading about Class E (SFC) airspace, which goes from surface to 1,200' (I believe). It is marked on sectionals as a magenta dashed line, and usually runs perpendicular to an airport.
You've got a few things confused here. First, Class E airspace in most areas is above 1200' AGL, not below. Within an area delimited by a magenta shaded line, the floor of E airspace drops to 700' AGL. Often, this is the case around small rural airports. The floor of E airspace is lowered around the airport to allow IFR traffic to descend to the traffic pattern altitude while still in controlled airspace.

Airports surrounded by a dashed magenta line have E airspace from the surface up to an altitude designated on the sectional within the area contained by the dashed magenta line. (If the dashed line is dark blue, the airspace is Class D.)

Reactions: Lil' DronePilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake