DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration?

mstgkillr

Reactions
I'm new to drones over 0.55lbs so please take it easy on me. I've already read several threads stating that drones from 0.55-55lbs need to be registered with the FAA. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with this as I will be a conscientious drone operator. However, I do see some issues.

The FAA Registry is searchable by anyone with a computer and displays the name, address, drone model/manufacturer, and FAA# of all who register.
  1. What would stop someone who really wants, lets say a DJI Inspire, from searching the database, finding a matching address and then stealing the drone while the owner is away at work?
  2. What about a crazy neighbor that would do anything to get someone in trouble... knowing that I have a drone that is registered, searching the database and finding my FAA#, buying a drone only to place my FAA# on it before doing something stupid?
I know these might seem like extreme examples but there are some wackos out there. Out of curiosity, I searched the FAA Registry for my county which has a population over 700,000 and I only found 18 registered drones. And of those registrations, several were from the same individual or corporation with only 13 different entities registered. There were a total of 4 individuals, 7 corporations, 1 co-owner, and 1 government with various amounts of registered drones. I would think there are more than 18 drones in my county of over 700,000 people? So what gives, why aren't more people registering?

Any input would be great?

The FAA Registry is searchable by anyone with a computer and displays the name, address, drone model/manufacturer, and FAA# of all who register.
This is only true for aircraft that are registered for commercial operations. Hobbyist registrations cannot be found online.

Yes, its my understanding that a person has to file a formal inquiry with the FAA to receive the hobby fliers information. During times where an "average citizen" finds a lost drone and wants to report it.

I'm not sure where you're seeing this.

According to the FAA website,
The FAA is not posting the names and street addresses of registered owners because the data is exempt from disclosure under a FOIA exemption that protects information in agency files from a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.

The FAA based its determination to post only city, state and zip code on several factors, including, in part, that many of the registrants are minors and only hobbyists or recreational users. In addition, when the FAA published its Federal Register notice pertaining to the new unmanned aircraft registration system it specifically advised the public that name and addresses would only be available by the registration number issued to the registrant. For these reasons, the FAA believes the privacy interest in such data outweighs any public interest.​

Granted, this article is from July 2016, so that may have changed. There is an Excel sheet you can download that shows the number of registered drones in your city.

Yes, that is correct. We just got our Mavic in last week and I registered it with the FAA today. During registration it NEVER asked me for any information about what kind of drone I owned. Just wanted my address name and $5.00

Reactions: IADRN43
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair