DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fellow Law Enforcement Pilots...

JOHNNYBRAVO

Reactions
I have a question to ask. I've read Transport Canada's rules and regs but I'm seeing nothing really in the relation to use in a Law Enforcement capacity. The Mavic falls under the 1kg rules and regs.

My question is if I'm going onto a property with a warrant, are there any reason or regs or flight plans I would have to file if i'm under 100 meters? I know OPP uses drones to map crime scenes and utilize them in accident investigations. I have an email into them as well.

I'm curious about what Defense would challenge.....yeah, I know everything lol

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I haven't been in Canadian Law Enforcement in many years but I remember learning at RCMP Depot "Evidence, no matter how obtained, is still evidence". You may have to go through a Voir Dire (a trial within a trial) to get the evidence introduced. I went through one of those, again many years ago, to get surveillance video introduced into evidence when it had never previously been done. The video was accepted by the court and the process of getting video admitted became part of case law.

You might have the opportunity to do a similar thing from UA video. Make sure you use erased/formatted media that you can verify as blank before the video was made and ensure the usual evidence security measures are followed to eliminate suggestions of "tampering".

Good Hunting!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm not concerned about the collection of evidence if my drone is in my warrant. I'm more concerned about the rules around it's use and what angles Defense might challenge.

On an interesting side note... I spoke with the OPP who have a UAV program in place. I didn't know this but all flight logs from DJI products go back to China.

I'm not concerned about the collection of evidence if my drone is in my warrant. I'm more concerned about the rules around it's use and what angles Defense might challenge.

On an interesting side note... I spoke with the OPP who have a UAV program in place. I didn't know this but all flight logs from DJI products go back to China.

Being retired from LE (CHICAGO PD) after 42 years I think your question should be answered within the affidavit for the warrant. If you've made clear in your affidavit that a drone will accompany the execution of the warrant and you stay within flight guidelines, use it as need be to satisfy your warrant. Document all flights as need and be thorough in your reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Only if you log in preflight. That's my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I think the issues naturally would be similar to shooting radar in a speed zone or a breathalyzer for DUI's. Calibration, dates and times it was done and by whom. I'm sure it would be an issue if the drone is personally owned or department owned also. All of our specialty tools, i.e. , drones, cameras, metal detectors all those goodies are always department owned and maintained, per department guide lines. See what the lawyers say, give them something to do, let them figure it out to be safe. Good luck Johnny B and Be Safe!

Long Live the Republic

God and Country,
J. Murphy

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya