DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Few questions before I fly!!!

m4v1c

Reactions
Hello!

I should be getting my Mavic today and cannot wait to learn about flying and capturing aerial footage! But before I do, I have a few questions that I would like some clarification:

I definitely plan to thoroughly read the FAA drone regulations & rules, but want to hear your guys' answers as well.

-Before I fly my drone, am I legally required to register my drone on FAA.gov--Is that suppose to be the first step before my first flight? Is EVERY pilot legally expected to register?
-I heard it is illegal to fly past sunset, above an attitude of 400 ft, etc. Is there a specific list of rules without all the legal jargon? Is this my best option? ==> https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

Other questions:
1) I currently live in Seattle, WA; I'm using the Airmap app & KnowBeforeYouFly website to find out where I can/can't fly. According to this, it looks like I cant fly it anywhere in Seattle...I understand I can't fly it over airports & stadiums & etc, but does this mean I can't even fly it at a local park (since the yellow lines are covering the whole Seattle region...)?
upload_2017-1-9_5-2-25.png
2) I'll be using my Google Nexus 6p and I was wondering what if my phone and/or DJI remote dies mid flight (whether its a battery issue or some other technical reason)? Does the Mavic somehow return to its home position? I'm hoping the drone won't just drop from the sky :eek:...

3) Do I need to turn on data or wifi or GPS location on my phone to fly my Mavic? Can I use Airplane mode to conserve the battery on my phone?

4) Do you recommend hand catching to land the drone? For an example, what if you're on a boat and have no safe space to land? Also if the boat was moving, does the Mavic move around in order to return to the programmed return to home spot?

5) I've been reading mixed things about which app to use; some people recommend the DJI Go app others are using the DJI Go 4 (it also has horrible reviews on Google Play store...).

Thank you, I apologize for my noob questions lol; this will be my first drone :p!

There are simple written answers to your basic questions here:

Fly for Fun

There is also a lot of information in threads on the "sUAV Rules and Regulations" forum on this site.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters