DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally, my LUT compare video

Oyibo VFX

Reactions
Hello all

I have posted a JoeTjoep video with some LUT examples
I flew 3 times the same Autipilot Zipline (see previous discussions about Autopilot) and recorded the first in Normal, the second in D-Log and the third in D-Cinelike. The compare is not fully accurate because we’re in the raining season in this part of the world and the clouds and sky changes by the minute (usually ending in torrential rain like this afternoon).

Anyway… the first 40 seconds is just plain footage as mentioned above. The next 40 seconds is the same footage but then with GroundControl LUT’s (free to download) and the next part is the footage with LUT’s and some colour grading. Final bit is the original footage again.

My recommendations are as they always have been… depending on personal taste. I know the painstaking process of colour grading is not for everybody. It is a high-end post production that most of us never done before we flew the Mavic.

I’m making movies and pictures for 38 years and love post productions. Not commercially but as a hobby.

So… if you just want to make great footage for personal use and upload to JoeTjoep, just use the Normal or Cinelike settings for your Mavic. Even that allows you to do post colour grading to tune up your footage. Cinelike is a little more “vivid” but that you can achieve also in colour grading. D-Log is still more if you know what you’re doing.

What is very important is that you try to use a fixed white balance (sunny or cloudy) instead of auto. This keeps your grading a lot simpler.
If you fly (like my footage) from shade into sunshine, it’s better to cut your film and use two different settings for the exposure.
Again… colour correction is a professional job and let’s be honest…. the camera of the Mavic in not exactly an Arri or even an DJI X5S or X5R camera.

And to be very correct, my footage from this morning is on my site and filmed in 4K, processed in 4K with the GroundCentral LUT’s in Coremelt LUTx loader and the standard FCPX Colour Board (Color Grading Central still hasn’t a Color Finale update for OSX 10.12.4). Then re-recorded in 1080P for JoeTjoep and uploaded.

Bottomline… if you know how it works and play a little, no need to spend money on buying commercial LUT’s. You can achieve the same with free LUT’s and some colour correction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piranha
My take: We have a superb camera on a great platform at a reasonable price. The camera knows how to capture the most realistic and natural colors without our intervention if we understand light, the time of day, motion limitations, the angle of light, and the best related appropriate camera settings. Using artificial aids like ND filters and LUTs to make a video look improved, is ... well, just that .... "artificial" and not real. Color correcting looks good and covers up some of the operator's faults but for my money it is a waste of time for short lived moment of glory for a 5 minute video on YouTube. If you're a professional making money on photography ... then yes, that's a different story, but most of us will never rewatch a clip we saw a year ago. So, even if the video editing software is free ... like Davinci Resolve, which I just tested (as an amateur for the last 10 days). Yes ... it does "color grading" very well but the balance of the software is far more complicated than necessary for most of us. I prefer something simpler and quicker that has palates of transitions/credits/overlays and titles, one that has simple video and audio editing (and I can eyeball color pretty realistically without all the hassles) a program that has an array of LUTs, free music onboard, and simple snip and cut. Filmora fills the bill for me although one could always make suggestions to expand on upgrades. But that's just me. And I have Premium Pro if I wanted to go professional... but I prefer the more simple route with less hassle.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
Oyibo thanks this is good stuff to attempt to get the most direct comparison possible, cinelike seems to preserve the most dynamic range would you agree?

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
I agree with the above. You do what seems fit for yourself. At this point, I'm making a movie of the entire erection of our site. Somewhere between 50 and 70 minutes. Unfortunately, I have only limited movies from the start (when everything was still bush) but plenty photos. Luckily I know how to use the Ken Burns effect very well so it's still dynamic.
At home, I'm making a movies of some biker friends on alternative bikes (Track Diesel bike and Zero electric bike) with a lot of off road material. This might be used for promotion. But there I use the Inspire 2 with X5S and additional 45mm lens.

And here... on my next leave I will also get a Yuneec H520 with infrared lens for overhead line inspection. If we get the contract, also a number of M210 RTK with Flir infrared will join my team

Yeahhhhhhhhh,
An update from OSX and Color Finale is working again. Really happy now
I've the latest OSX update on my macbook air and Color Finale is still not working... which is you osx version?

thanks, I'll wait next release then :) not the beta one
in the meantime I like using Davinci for color grading and go back to FCPx

Check the Color Grading Central masterclasses. Then you'll understand why I like Color Finale. Now I can start using D-Log again. Properly

Check the Color Grading Central masterclasses. Then you'll understand why I like Color Finale. Now I can start using D-Log again. Properly
I used to use color finale, then after the problem with OSX I started grading with davinci and I'm liking it.
Why do you prefer color finale? (btw I think is a great plugin)

I bought the pro version a while ago and although it's a little complicated to use, it is far superior to other apps. I know it has to do with personal taste and what you're comfortable with...

Reactions: Piranha and Baldo81
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98