DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally Resolved Missing Tripod Mode Issue (With video)

Very informative post and attached video, thank you.
As the sensor always delivers native 4k, the lower resolutions are usually downsized in software. So your best choice is to always recording the full 4k, and when you encounter difficult things like moire patterns, deal with them in post processing by experimenting with different parameters and do manual downsizing (if you don't want to stay in 4k).

In any case, moire is emphasized by sharpening. So, go into the Go app -> Video camera settings -> Style, select Custom, and dial down the sharpness control to -2 or -3. Explanation: the sensor has an antialising filter in front of it to avoid moire. That filter slighly blurs the image, which is usually compensated by sharpening the resulting image. That is why the default settings for all Jpegs and h.264 video include a fair amount of sharpening. Often however, the default is way too much, and moire becomes visually apparent again. Thus, sharpening is also something that should be applied in post where it can be controlled. Dial it down in camera settings if you don't want to ruin your original footage. You will have plenty of control and time, on a big screen, to apply proper sharpening later.

That antialiasing filter is needed for cameras of that resolution around 12 MP. Without it, we would have moire all over the place. Cameras in the 20-40 MP range can get away without it, more recent Nikon DSLRs for example do no longer have one.

This video does a good job of summarizing and explaining all the Mavic video settings:

[/QUOT

I got my mavic about 2 weeks ago and ever since i've flown in quite a number of places. However, on thing that bugged me was that I could never locate Tripod Mode. Now before you judge me for not reading the manual, i need to say that I know where tripod mode can be enabled, i know where tripod mode can be accessed. However, it was missing. Whenever i play with the DJI GO app without the drone connected, i see the option to turn on tripod mode in the settings under the aircraft icon. Once i connect to my aircraft and fly though, that option completely disappears. Its like a whole line of code got deleted. Swiping left and right also did not yield any results.
Tapping on the intelligent flight modes also did not yield any results. I was definitely MISSING the option.

Last night, i updated my firmware and batteries to the latest version, thinking that my issue would be fixed, but it didnt. This morning, i decided to try the last variable: Updating my iPhone to the latest iOS.

As i am currently using iPhone 6 Plus, i had reservations updating to the latest iOS as i did not want my phone to slow down. My phone isnt a 6S plus, much less a 7 Plus.

After deciding to update however, the tripod mode FINALLY APPEARED! So for those of you still missing your tripod mode, maybe you are in the same situation as I am.

Here is a video of my very first test of the tripod mode. The wind was pretty strong as a storm was approaching, but the mavic pro held on like a champ.

The moire effect is quite apparent though if you look at the background. However the tripod mode worked as advertised. Freaking awesome!
Hi! I'm happy to see i'm not crazy. I couldn't acces to the tripod mode either. I did, by restarting the DJI GoApp. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ