DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fine Tuning Mavic

amorrison

Reactions
Haven't seen too much on this. I reduced braking to minimum. It seems to handle a little smoother - don't try if you are not experienced though because it takes longer to stop. Also turned off all VPS and object avoidance. It now lands like a normal aircraft and you can hand catch very easily. I was wondering too if less processing might mean more battery life. Again not for beginners though. I keep the smart return feature off also in case I am walking and end up far from home point with a low battery. Anyone else have fine tunings to share? These are not recommendations ok, just some setting changes I am trying. I noticed the vertical or throttle seems to be very aggressive like the gains are set high. Still looking for a way to dial this back a bit.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Also turned off all VPS and object avoidance. It now lands like a normal aircraft and you can hand catch very easily.
Turning off just the downward sensors should also give you the same result.

DJI-GO-Downward-Vision-Positioning.jpg

Good suggestions and topic. Always a tradeoff when reducing technology - sometimes you want it sometimes you don't. It's best to practice with all of these settings in a "forgiving" environment in case things go awry and so that when things do go awry we are comfortable with Drone saving adjustments.

Haven't seen too much on this. I reduced braking to minimum. It seems to handle a little smoother - don't try if you are not experienced though because it takes longer to stop. Also turned off all VPS and object avoidance. It now lands like a normal aircraft and you can hand catch very easily. I was wondering too if less processing might mean more battery life. Again not for beginners though. I keep the smart return feature off also in case I am walking and end up far from home point with a low battery. Anyone else have fine tunings to share? These are not recommendations ok, just some setting changes I am trying. I noticed the vertical or throttle seems to be very aggressive like the gains are set high. Still looking for a way to dial this back a bit.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Isn't turning off VPS and OA basically sports mode???
Did you know I have been flying sports mode with my Phantom 3s.

Can someone explain to me what the OP is talking about. Basically what I'm reading is he disabled VPS, obstacle avoidance, and smart return. And according to the title of the thread this is called "fine tuning,"

What am I missing?

You'd probably get a lot out of this video:
. Also I think there's a setting to make it return to your last known location instead of the takeoff location.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: grizzard
Hey thanks for the replies. I was just exploring how the aircraft performs and feels with various settings. Also thought the reduced processing might add to the flight time a bit. For video I like very smooth and slow movements. Haven't got there quite yet. As to ditching, I have never had to do this but when flying around people or crowds the option to be able drop the aircraft rather than have an incident is somehow comforting. Liability issues always worry. BTW that is a good video on settings - thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the replies. I was just exploring how the aircraft performs and feels with various settings. Also thought the reduced processing might add to the flight time a bit. For video I like very smooth and slow movements. Haven't got there quite yet. As to ditching, I have never had to do this but when flying around people or crowds the option to be able drop the aircraft rather than have an incident is somehow comforting. Liability issues always worry. BTW that is a good video on settings - thanks!!

Many of us turn off the VPS and OA. I never noticed a gain. For distance purposes I fly in Sport mode so it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3