DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware .800 Flight restrictions

And are you talking the 30M high 50M distant kind of flying?;)
If your talking regular flight that has not been the experience of most users, they are reporting driving out several miles and being beginner mode and limited unless they get an NFZ map update.
<snip>
It comes down to a really simple thing. You have to worry about NFZ problems. Will it happen on this trip or will everything be fine. With 400 I don't have to worry! My Mavic always fly's perfectly.

Rob
No I am talking about flying 3km away or flying 7km missions with Litchi.

It comes down to a really simple thing. I have no issues with .800 and many others report same.

As mentioned I relocated 110 miles over night. Purposely left my phone on flight mode to ensure no chance of a internet connection. Just now I have started everything up and just flew 1km while sounding the wind in 50' intervals up to 500' before my days flying. Now I can review the winds in airdata over a coffee while I plan my day of unrestricted flying.

Perhaps you should get hold of a Mavic with .800 installed and try it. That way you could get a first hand feeling for it.

Reactions: keith00
''Tis true I did Rob, and that was because I found the NFZ calculation a bit over stringent, causing my girl to start behaving strangely. I was about a mile away from the edge of an NFZ at a UK based class B airport. I didn't get that before, so I downgraded as I didn't want the inconvenience.
However, I'd flown with .800 approx 10 times before though without any problems whatsoever. And this BS about having to have a constant connection to the internet is exactly that, pure BS.

Dont get me wrong I appreciate your honesty in admitting you downgraded. In another thread we had a guy argue for pages as to why we should stop trying to convince people to stay on .400 and then he accidentally revealed that he was still using .400 himself.

The need for a constant internet connection is BS for right now. The 4.1 App only requires internet connection when you change your location to one where the App has no up to date NFZ data for that location.

The constant Internet connection is indeed a real thing among the Chinese beta testers. The version they are using continuously sends info like GPS location from the drones DAT file to the DJI servers for analysis. DJI also requires that all SIM chips telephone numbers be supplied when you download the Beta App. The gist of the forum conversations that I monitored is that DJI wants to be able to supply the Chinese government with an exact Name and address of a user if they fly into an unauthorized area. This same software is probably already in DJI GO4.1 and .800 but it requires the US. government to enact laws to request the information be gathered.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: NaiveFlight
I agree with Rob, 800 has issues that are also inconsistent. Out of each geographic change I did 8 out of 10 (roughly) asked for nfz zone prompt., now with. 700 and app at 4.07 everything is very very well.

For me everything with 800 was OK and software was *snappy* but the nfz zone prompt handicapped the fun I was able to have with mavic.

Staying at 700/4.07 forever.

Some guy a few posts back said he relocated, but left his phone on airplane mode just so it wouldn't connect the whole time he relocated. Sounds like inconvenience, unless you like your phone to just be an *ipod* Lmao.

Anyways. 800 = Mavic, *fvk around whereever you go*

For what it's worth.

I wouldn't mind *pre downloading* some database with new NFZ zone data before I went out in remote areas(where web isn't available). I don't mind agreeing to the nfz bs. Just want to fly without limits In a Non NFZ zone. Ffs

Reactions: Robbyg
Dont get me wrong I appreciate your honesty in admitting you downgraded. In another thread we had a guy argue for pages as to why we should stop trying to convince people to stay on .400 and then he accidentally revealed that he was still using .400 himself.

The need for a constant internet connection is BS for right now. The 4.1 App only requires internet connection when you change your location to one where the App has no up to date NFZ data for that location.

The constant Internet connection is indeed a real thing among the Chinese beta testers. The version they are using continuously sends info like GPS location from the drones DAT file to the DJI servers for analysis. DJI also requires that all SIM chips telephone numbers be supplied when you download the Beta App. The gist of the forum conversations that I monitored is that DJI wants to be able to supply the Chinese government with an exact Name and address of a user if they fly into an unauthorized area. This same software is probably already in DJI GO4.1 and .800 but it requires the US. government to enact laws to request the information be gathered.

Rob

Is it possible this info gathering is just part of the beta testing to ensure accuracy?

I agree with Rob, 800 has issues that are also inconsistent. Out of each geographic change I did 8 out of 10 (roughly) asked for nfz zone prompt., now with. 700 and app at 4.07 everything is very very well.

For me everything with 800 was OK and software was *snappy* but the nfz zone prompt handicapped the fun I was able to have with mavic.

Staying at 700/4.07 forever.

Some guy a few posts back said he relocated, but left his phone on airplane mode just so it wouldn't connect the whole time he relocated. Sounds like inconvenience, unless you like your phone to just be an *ipod* Lmao.

Anyways. 800 = Mavic, *fvk around whereever you go*

I think he did that to "test" the update, which is a lot more than all the .0400 naysayers are doing!!

..Some guy a few posts back said he relocated, but left his phone on airplane mode just so it wouldn't connect the whole time he relocated. Sounds like inconvenience, unless you like your phone to just be an *ipod* Lmao.

No - I prevented it connecting simply to prove the point ... that is it does not require internet after relocation. Once that was done I took it out of flight mode.

Whilst you were bleating here about the sky falling in with .800, I finished my breakfast and went out and used DroneDeply to create a aerial map from 400' up of a 150 acre section of my farm. Just uploaded the 600 images to their servers and await the result. All with this darstardly .800 firmware.

I think he did that to "test" the update, which is a lot more than all the .0400 naysayers are doing!!

No one is certain that you can just test .800 and then revert back to .400 cleanly.
For one thing you have to agree to DJI's new TOS agreement.
Second problem is that an NFZ file is written to the Mavic along with 21 other files. Nobody knows for certain if a role back eliminates all of that data or if some of it remains in place.

Rob

Is it possible this info gathering is just part of the beta testing to ensure accuracy?

No it was expressed as a new feature to monitor pilot activity and is complained about bitterly.
DJI has a published white paper on the same subject but it talks about using the Tx of the Drone to send the info to listening towers. My feeling is that DJI realized that was way too complicated so they just used cell phone data instead.

Rob

No one is certain that you can just test .800 and then revert back to .400 cleanly.
Who cares.
Borrow someone else's Mavic and test on that. Hell - I'd happily give you mine for day to play with, if we lived nearby. You could then see that it actually works just fine and would be able to speak from first hands experience.

Off to do take a spin with Fixed wing mode. Cracker of a day here.

Have fun.

Rob

That's not a bug, that's a complete design flaw. Failing to roll back the firmware completely is a design flaw.
No it's not, unless you truly mean to imply that DJI deliberately designed and implemented the software to randomly refuse to let people self-authorize and fly in the yellow zones.

Which, of course, is daft, and I just don't believe you're judgement to actually be that questionable.

Please review the site TOU. This site is not for carrying on an on-going DJI bash, which your post amounts to. If you can't be helpful, or add information we don't already have about .800, please leave your whining to yourself.

And you moved away from .800 to .700 and yet you think its fine for people to be promoting .800 even though it has problems you are avoidingo_O. I never came into these upgrade threads until I was alerted by the Chinese Beta testers about what was happening. Sorry if you feel it's being negative. it's being realistic IMO in pointing out where this thing is and where its headed.
Rob, here's how some of us see it: There are some scary and/or annoying bugs that some users are experiencing. Others -- and it seems like the majority -- are not having any problems. For this reason I'm sticking with .400, because it's solid for me, and I don't need any features added since.

Yet, .800 is hardly the disaster you, and some others, are painting it to be. Sure, if you're a victim, it's a disaster. If you're DJI, it's not because most of you're customers are doing just fine. Rather, it's a fairly typical software maintenance situation with a new release.

To think DJI doesn't test, and test extensively, their products is just naive claptrap. There's no doubt in my mind they have an extensive set of regression tests, unit tests, etc., much of the code in the Mavic is common across all platforms, so it's getting "tested" in different hardware implementations too

Instead what's going on here is simply what happens with very complex software systems. It's similar to a real-time process control system, and the real-time requirements are stringent for a device like this. That requires some special skill that most hackers don't have.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is this is nothing particularly extraordinary, most people aren't having problems, and DJI is trouble-shooting to figure out what's wrong. Until we know, spreading FUD is the wrong thing to do.

Heck, it could be a math error with GPS coordinates that has some cyclic response so that only locations that cause this error to manifest see these problems. That's why some people mysteriously are victims, while others are not.

I'm staying on .400 because .800 is new, has some bugs, and I don't have any need for it. I'll bet .850 or .900 will get most of this shaken out.

In DJI's defense, all evidence points to the heavy hand of the Chinese Government mandating that DJI do this, and do it fast. I doubt DJI would do anything like this if they didn't have to.

Reactions: NaiveFlight
What is the point of updating?
What is it that compels people to keep updating every week or two?
The update treadmill is an absolute pain in the a*** and when coupled to the uncertainties associated with each & every update as proven within the pages of this forum it is a path that should only be taken by the bravest or most fool hardy, and for what.... Fixed wing mode? Additional limitations? Real time tracking?

Considering .400 is proven to be stable I ask again:
  • What gain is there in updating?
  • What is the quantifiable benefit to the Mavic owner?

What is the point of updating?
What is it that compels people to keep updating every week or two?
The update treadmill is an absolute pain in the a*** and when coupled to the uncertainties associated with each & every update as proven within the pages of this forum it is a path that should only be taken by the bravest or most fool hardy, and for what.... Fixed wing mode? Additional limitations? Real time tracking?

Considering .400 is proven to be stable I ask again:
  • What gain is there in updating?
  • What is the quantifiable benefit to the Mavic owner?

I don't understand why everybody gets all worked up because somebody chooses to upgrade. As soon as someone posts that they chose to upgrade and report they aren't experiencing any problems they get attacked. I don't care what people decide to do, some think those that don't want to upgrade are conspiracy theorists or paranoid, and those refusing to upgrade past .400 think those that do are idiots or DJI homers. Do what you want as long as you are enjoying flying. I do think those who refuse to upgrade don't seem to be getting the same enjoyment as those who do simply because most of those people aren't happy with DJI. Are they right to be upset with DJI? Only time will tell. In 6 months maybe they'll be the ones flying with $hit eating grins on their faces saying "we told you so!" Then again maybe it will just be egg on their faces.

Last edited:
I have always wondered this as well. I was on a way early version for several months. I think it was like the 2nd firmware ever for the mavic and it flew perfect. I just kept seeing the alert on the app and one day decided I was being paranoid for not updating so I did and now for the first time ever I am having stuttering issues when I yaw at full speed. It's like a skipping almost like something is stopping and starting the yaw really fast.

What i have learnt is DJI is extremely poor at communicating with there users, heres what i have noticed so far:
app has multiple spelling errors (till this day)
descriptions of faults unclear on the app
prompts on DJI app are misleading (such as the flight restrictions)
release notes are (intentionally?) vague but also contradictory

not sure how much more you can go wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    128.5 KB · Views: 38
After updating to 800 I can no longer fly at my home location in California. Previously I was in a yellow "unlockable" zone, which I had no problem unlocking. The controller read "near NFZ", but I was able to fly. After the update it says "In NFZ" and "Cannot Take-off". I can only conclude that they expanded the NFZ area in the update. Also, I doubt that reversing to an earlier firmware would reverse this, since the NFZ Update was a separate update within the firmware upgrade process.

So I just downloaded the new GO 4 update (4.1.2), hoping maybe it included a fix for my problem. No such luck. Also, apparently they have now completely eliminated the button that turned off the GEO system, although it didn't seem to do anything since the last update anyway...

For what it's worth.

I wouldn't mind *pre downloading* some database with new NFZ zone data before I went out in remote areas(where web isn't available). I don't mind agreeing to the nfz bs. Just want to fly without limits In a Non NFZ zone. Ffs

how can you predownload the NFZ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair