DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware .800 Technical Discussion

tictag

Reactions
Loads of threads about firmware .800 flight restrictions on here (let's not go there, in this thread). I'd be interested to discuss the technical aspects of this firmware update, though I appreciate we're not all DJI engineers!!

ANONYMITY
Having to login to DJI servers before you're allowed to fly (without restrictions) would give DJI the opportunity to store user identifiable data on the drone e.g. a unique key created by the DJIGO app after successful credential authentication. If this did happen, it would appear this is being stored in non-persistent storage, hence the need to lift the restrictions after every power cycle. Does anybody think this might be happening, under the hood, so to speak?

Perhaps this is the first step towards a system that 'squarks' your unique ID to other flyers.

FLIGHT DECISIONS
Both "Enhanced Warning" and "Authorisation" zones require an explicit decision to 'unlock' that zone. Whilst "Enhanced Warning" unlocking does not require an Internet connection (but you are still required to be logged in on the DJIGO app), I wonder whether these flight decisions are recorded and if they are I wonder if if such data could be subpoenaed by law enforcement agencies.

GEO RESTRICTIONS
The current flight restrictions are enabled even without the DJIGO app running, does this mean that the drone itself is storing/processing flight restriction data and the app merely advises you? I think not because this would mean the drone would have to store the worldwide NFZ database, which would require hardware that I'm guessing it was never designed with. DJI's GEO System, as they call it, mentions live updates, so in theory if you were connected to the Internet it may be possible for an update to come through which turns wherever you're flying into restricted airspace, I wonder what the drone would do? Forcibly land, RTH?

But a counter-argument is that "Enhanced Warning" and "Authorisation" zones require explicit unlocking, if that data was only stored on the app, an app crash or controller-only flight might prevent flight in a previously unlocked zone - maybe even forcibly land or RTH.

FLYING SAFE
I actually agree with DJI that these updates are designed with safety in mind. If my family were on a plane, I would welcome a system that forcibly prevents a ne'er-do-well flying a drone into the engines and that additionally broadcasts the identity of the pilot.

David.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun