DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware v01.03.0000 Compass Error.

Yea unfortunately it looks like the release notes are honest and only very minor changes and hence the tiny 00.00.02 rev number bump. I verified no change to compass behavior. My first flight in sport mode also transitioned to ATTI mode while compass 2 was active. (again) The data analysis doesn't show any magYaw oscillations or large deviation between Yaw and magYaw. The only thing sticking out to me is pitch oscillations. However I was flying into a 30 mph wind in sport mode. No TBE evident at time of issue. In the plot below the white background state is normal, light blue is sport, red is ATTI. Look how stable the pitch is as I fly full stick into the wind. Once I switch to sport, the pitch looks unstable to me, while still at full stick. This ATTI issue to me looks like marginally stable flight controller gains instead of any compass or yaw issue. Still hoping for a major FW update!

Firmware : v01.03.0200 What’s New?  Improved gimbal performance when flying in low temperatures.  Added Cinematic Mode for smoother the footage.

Transition to ATTI while in sport mode full bore into 30 mph wind
upload_2016-12-26_11-55-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-26_11-52-16.png
    upload_2016-12-26_11-52-16.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 20
  • upload_2016-12-26_11-53-14.png
    upload_2016-12-26_11-53-14.png
    60 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Mr Spock
Hi! Unfortunately this can also happen during RTH! If aircraft reaches top speed of 20 mph in RTH P-mode it gets interference on compass 1 and switches to compass 2! Is it safe to RTH with one compass only?

So , i tried today for the first time after i got it back from repair.

So far so good. After a few tests, nothing , all good. but than , again , suddenly it appeared ... AGAIN ... Compass error .... even twice .... every time going over 63km/h ..

Odd thing is ... on Healthy Drones i can't see an error , neither can i see in the recorded Log on the DJI Go App.

@BudWalker

here's the DAT to compare to the old DAT.

Dropbox - Filght Records

Reactions: Mr Spock

So far so good. After a few tests, nothing , all good. but than , again , suddenly it appeared ... AGAIN ... Compass error .... even twice .... every time going over 63km/h ..

Odd thing is ... on Healthy Drones i can't see an error , neither can i see in the recorded Log on the DJI Go App.

@BudWalker

Dropbox - Filght Records
Ermmm this is slightly worrying and could more be pointing towards a firmware error

I am seriously pissed now !!! i already wrote an email to the support ... Waiting for the answer

I sure this compass error is hw issue, on my old mavic (have been replaced) everytime I goes forward on sport mode then compass error appears OFTENTIMES. It very different on the new one, until now since I got it the new one only show one time compass error from 12 flight I made.

well ive just downgraded to the previous firmware , all seems to be fine again, Full throttle sports mode. I did about 10 test runs , going out to around 150m each time.. and not 1 error message came up.

also did a few runs within the compass menu itself!! and all seemed alot more stable then before..

v01.02*****

@BudWalker

Dropbox - Filght Records
Looking at the previous .DAT and the new .DAT it appears that DJI fixed a noisy back compass problem. But, that wasn't the problem you were having. I probably could've stated that more directly back in post #39 Firmware v01.03.0000 Compass Error.
In that flight the back compass did became noisy with high current, BUT, it didn't matter because the Mavic was using the front compass the whole flight. The compass error you saw wasn't the, by now, well known Sport-mode-max-elevator-compass/TBE-problem.

In the current flight the back compass noise is much less. Although a good thing, it's immaterial since that isn't the problem you're having.

I absolutely have no doubt that you're seeing a compass error in the Go App. But, it didn't get recorded in the .txt for the first flight. It's probably in the .DAT file but DatCon (or, me) isn't smart enough to extract it.

i'll try a screen recording tomorrow than we can compare the DAT and the screen recording.

Looking at the previous .DAT and the new .DAT it appears that DJI fixed a noisy back compass problem. But, that wasn't the problem you were having. I probably could've stated that more directly back in post #39 Firmware v01.03.0000 Compass Error.
In that flight the back compass did became noisy with high current, BUT, it didn't matter because the Mavic was using the front compass the whole flight. The compass error you saw wasn't the, by now, well known Sport-mode-max-elevator-compass/TBE-problem.

In the current flight the back compass noise is much less. Although a good thing, it's immaterial since that isn't the problem you're having.

I absolutely have no doubt that you're seeing a compass error in the Go App. But, it didn't get recorded in the .txt for the first flight. It's probably in the .DAT file but DatCon (or, me) isn't smart enough to extract it.

So you can't see it switching back and forth on compasses in the newest DAT ? it remains on the first one ?

Hi! Unfortunately this can also happen during RTH! If aircraft reaches top speed of 20 mph in RTH P-mode it gets interference on compass 1 and switches to compass 2! Is it safe to RTH with one compass only?

So you can't see it switching back and forth on compasses in the newest DAT ? it remains on the first one ?
It was much easier to see on the firts flight because the back compass was more noisier. But, no, I can't see that it switches.
upload_2016-12-27_8-46-1.png

upload_2016-12-27_8-44-8.png
upload_2016-12-27_8-44-15.png
You'll note that the feature at time -137.0326 is the same for the magZ and magZ.Front indicating it starts by using the front compass. It appears that no switch occurs in the rest of the flight. This would actuallly be much easier for you to see if you were to run CsvView and have a look for yourself and zoom in on different parts of the flight.

You mentioned doing a screen recording to illustrate the compass errors. I'm absolutely positive they exist. The most informative thing that you could provide is the exact time(s) a compass error happens. That will help to narrow the search for the right signal in the .DAT.

i can give you an approximate. give me a min. I'll post the time.

around Minute 2 and 33 secs . That must have been one for sure !

around Minute 2 and 33 secs . That must have been one for sure !
Maybe I'm confused. I thought on the first flight (12-11-2016) you couldn't see the compass errors using the Go App replay. But, now you can? That means it's recorded in the .txt. Please provide the .txt. No need to zip or Dropbox. Just attach it to a post.

no , i had both. I had it once in the logs, where i could retrace it , and i also saw it when flying, but couldn't find it back in any of the logs.

Where do i get the txt ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake