DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Crash

2nckayakers

Reactions
Three months of no incidents and that all changed in a flash. Which to begin with I should have known better, and I had already told myself from the very beginning I wouldn't do what I did, but I did anyway.

I was out flying around the front yard and it started to drizzle rain so I quickly picked up my Mavic without turning it off and went into the house. The intent was that I would do some adjustment to settings. Anyway contrary to what I said I wouldn't do, I sat the Mavic on the floor, started it up and lifted off the floor. It started drifting, I over corrected and it slammed into the wall. It tried to compensate, and ended up sideways trying to push against the wall until it finally just stopped and hit the floor. Lucky I was only about 2' off the floor.

I shut it down and removed the props and inspected them. I had one nick in the tip of one blade and a lot of scuff marks on all of them but other than that I had no damage. Thirty minutes later the sun came out so I went back out for a test flight and after taking some baby steps and checking out all possible functions, everything seemed fine. I flew two more times after that without any incident so I think I am good to go.

I thought about just going ahead and replacing the props though. That one little nick in the blade I had took out a small chunk. Which chunk may be overkill as I couldn't see it without magnification, but I was able to feel it when I ran my fingers over the blade. I have two extra blades but I am of the opinion that if one needs replacing you should replace all four. Kind of like tires on a car, they all should wear evenly or something gets out of whack. Maybe I am just being OCD.

Hey at least you realized your mistake and aren't questioned why it happened.

I had a similar situation when I first started and whilst it is frustrating, it makes sense to change all four propellers. Spending £18 seemed better than it falling out of the sky and then having a bill of thousands for repair.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo