DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Day Of Flying The Mavic Was Great.

Robbyg

Reactions
As some of you might have read in my earlier posts my Mavic arrived about eleven days ago but unfortunately I was abroad and had to wait until I got back home 3 days ago to see it.

The first day home I only unpacked, did the charging and then spent the rest of the day with the family. The second day was some hardcore testing and setting up of the DJI Go 4 apps menu and configuring my iPhone 6+ and all setting interactions with the drone (No Props Connected). I learned a lot of things that day and will post about them in another thread. The night was spent using the simulator for about 1 hour. I got fairly proficient at maneuvering the craft and getting my head wrapped around the control's. This was not an easy task as I have been flying RC planes for 25 years and the drone stick configuration and control is so different that I had to lock all my reflex actions into a mental cage and fly by thinking hard and not by using any reflexes.

Today was flight time :)

I took the Mavic out to a field which is about 300 ft from the beach and went through my check list. I was a bit concerned because the wind was a bit high and was peaking at 8 mph, but I came this far and I decided that she should be able to handle it. So I started her up in beginner mode, got my home point set and proceeded to lift her off and slowly rise to 30ft so the camera could get a good shot of the wet white towel that I used as a landing pad on the grass. I then proceeded to do figure eights and box maneuvers, then side by sides and a few altitude changes. At the end of approx 15min I bought her in close to me and tested the collision system. Everything worked fine so as my batteries started to go down to 40% I did a few practice landings and take offs in quick succession just to hone my skill at landing. On the last take off I moved her away 60ft from the take off point and proceeded to test the RTH and see what would happen.

Everything worked in Text book fashion, the Drone rose up and proceeded back to the Wet Towel and then orientated itself and started to descend. I held my finger close to the RTH button ready to cancel and my other fingers in position in case anything went haywire. I am happy to say she landed dead center on the towel, I would estimate within an inch or two of where she took off and this was with an 8 MPH cross wind.:)

After such a great performance by the Mavic I popped in a fresh battery and decided to take her out of beginner mode and set my Max altitude to 80M and my RTH to 100M and see what I could do. This time I decided I could relax a bit and do some recordings. So I lifted off and went up to about 200 ft and started to take some panoramic video, and then proceeded to move away from my location heading more inland. As I got about 400ft away I looked down at the screen for too long and suddenly as I looked up I could not see the drone at all :eek: I will admit that a bit of panic started to hit me as my Baby was no longer visible or audible and to make matters worst I started to notice the ground wind picking up and the Mavic started giving me high wind alerts. I looked at the screen but the glare was making it very hard to see exactly where the heck I was, I started to use the Map and navigate back but the wind was really high and I felt like I was getting in over my head so I hit the RTH. I was glad I tested it because it bought the Mavic right back into buzzing range.
I looked up and saw her and noticed a lot of wind corrections going on but I decided to let her do her thing and when she got within 20 ft of the ground I realized that an exact landing on the towel was iffy, so I cancelled the RTH and manually bought her down right onto the towel with a butt load of corrections on the way down. I will freely admit the Adrenalin was pumping, but my RC experience with engine failures and busted ailerons was certainly an asset in keeping calm.

All in all it was a fun day! I pushed that second flight a bit hard for a novice but I certainly learned a lot, I made it half way back by using the Map and I think I would have been fine without the RTH had my experience level been a bit higher.

My overall assessment is that this is one heck of a flying machine. I know a lot of you are reading about crashes and getting nervous, but don't stress yourselves, just be prepared and familiar with the controls and the menus and don't fly it indoors. If your new to drones like me its a must to use the simulator for an hour or two and then take the first flight outside in a wide open area and go very easy and just have fun. And don't do what I did on the second flight unless you know the terrain very well.

I know what you mean when you look down at the screen then lose your bearings and can't see the bird and start to freak out. That's happened to me in a number of new and different situations (e.g. unexpected altitude gain in RTH which I think was due to fog being detected as an obstacle, but haven't reproed consistently to know). The shift from visual flying to flying by camera and back takes a lot of getting used to, especially gauging distance on video.
I know a lot of you are reading about crashes and getting nervous, but don't stress yourselves, just be prepared and familiar with the controls and the menus and don't fly it indoors
Being nervous is good. The crashes happen once you are 100% confident :)

Sounds like you had fun, some good advice here.. familiarising yourself with menu's, checklists and simulator flights. I'd also throw in some further advice in such situations, get yourself familiar with sport mode. Sport mode is a great emergency tool, especially with high winds. When you're far away, winds are high and you're struggling to get her back.. get to a safe altitude, switch to the map and flick it into sport. Also flying it in a zig zag seems to be more battery efficient for me and helps me get her back safely in high wind conditions. Glad you had fun with your first few flights though.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Welcome to the Mavic...!!! It is a fantastic bird.

A couple of suggestions. I would really take care in setting RTH. 100M is 300 feet. That is pretty tall. If you think it's windy at ground level at 300 feet it could easily be twice as windy.

If you lose it... relax.. and look at your device. Use the map to bring it back. To be honest that was the toughest habit for me to break when I started with quads. I would get anxious and hit RTH. Resist that urge. Bring it back manually. It's all good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: mr.bill
The Mavic easily handles winds in the high teens.

Good to hear that all went well on your first flight and took all precautions.

Happy Flying
Brewsky

I too used to quickly hit RTH when I lost sight of the bird and anxiety set in. One more tip/suggestion: learn to use and rely on the Radar. It highlights the orientation of the AC and by turning it so it points at the centre (your location), you can fly it back to you with just forward stick motion.

A couple of suggestions. I would really take care in setting RTH. 100M is 300 feet. That is pretty tall. If you think it's windy at ground level at 300 feet it could easily be twice as windy.

If you lose it... relax.. and look at your device. Use the map to bring it back. To be honest that was the toughest habit for me to break when I started with quads. I would get anxious and hit RTH. Resist that urge. Bring it back manually. It's all good.

Just to add regarding RTH altitude. You should be able to evaluate max height of obstructions by quickly ascending and doing a 360 and evaluating where you see obstructions above the horizon at various heights and set the RTH height accordingly. 52M (170 ft)should be higher than any tree you encounter if you want a good default setting. 43m (140 ft) is high enough in my neck of the woods :)

Reactions: MavicPro5280
Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience, I always like reading about those first flights.

I only have a handful of flights with mine (first real quad), and I had a similar experience while up in the mountains yesterday. I was in a bunch of trees that were about 80-100 ft tall but found a clearing juuuust large enough to send the mavic up above the treetops for a quick peek. Once I got up there, the wind must have been kicking pretty good because while I was admiring the view the mavic was getting blown off course. I looked up to check it's position, but it was nowhere to be seen in that 25 foot radius of open sky above my head. Looked down at my display and somehow my map disappeared and it was now almost 100 feet away. At that height all trees look the same so directional orientation via the camera was no bueno and I started to get that sinking feeling. I knew fiddling with the control to try and figure out how to bring the map back would end poorly, so I just made small directional control inputs and watched what the distance readout was doing. I eventually found a control input that decreased that number so I just kept watching that tiny little opening in the sky until I saw the mavic buzz overhead. What a relief.

Reactions: MavicPro5280

Thanks Mojo and yes I agree the RTH is a last resort. Bringing it in yourself is the way to gain experience and I think probably safer because your not relying a computer to make judgement calls.

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience, I always like reading about those first flights.

I only have a handful of flights with mine (first real quad), and I had a similar experience while up in the mountains yesterday. I was in a bunch of trees that were about 80-100 ft tall but found a clearing juuuust large enough to send the mavic up above the treetops for a quick peek. Once I got up there, the wind must have been kicking pretty good because while I was admiring the view the mavic was getting blown off course. I looked up to check it's position, but it was nowhere to be seen in that 25 foot radius of open sky above my head. Looked down at my display and somehow my map disappeared and it was now almost 100 feet away. At that height all trees look the same so directional orientation via the camera was no bueno and I started to get that sinking feeling. I knew fiddling with the control to try and figure out how to bring the map back would end poorly, so I just made small directional control inputs and watched what the distance readout was doing. I eventually found a control input that decreased that number so I just kept watching that tiny little opening in the sky until I saw the mavic buzz overhead. What a relief.

ChrisJ your situation sounds a bit like mine. When I looked down I saw a bunch of pine trees and then patches of sand and then more trees. I think if I had looked to the Horizon I might have gotten a better idea of where I was, but this is when lack of experience limits your ability to come up with ideas when under pressure.

Reactions: mr.bill

A couple of suggestions. I would really take care in setting RTH. 100M is 300 feet.

If you lose it... relax.. Resist that urge. Bring it back manually. It's all good.

This is good advice. I barely use RTH, I feel much more comfortable flying the mavic back manually. It's much easier to respond to situations and surroundings. For example when you're low on battery and you can see that lowering the altitude is safe.. you can begin your descent way before you're at the home point and land the bird much quicker. RTH is always set mind, in case of signal loss but I'd get familiar with flying it back manually.

This is good advice. I barely use RTH, I feel much more comfortable flying the mavic back manually. It's much easier to respond to situations and surroundings. For example when you're low on battery and you can see that lowering the altitude is safe.. you can begin your descent way before you're at the home point and land the bird much quicker. RTH is always set mind, in case of signal loss but I'd get familiar with flying it back manually.

Agreed. It also eliminates that **** beeping on the controller the whole time. I normally fly it back close to me and then hit RTH for the last 20 ft or so.

Reactions: sosmaverick

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61