DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First drone- would like to fly commercially

mavic14

Reactions
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great information I've already learned on this forum. I just recently got the Mavic Pro (I love it), but would like to start flying commercially for the company I work with. I work in the video industry so the footage would be great to use. I've read that in order to this I need to complete my 107 certification.

A couple questions I have in regards to the 107 certification.
  • Is there anything I need to take prior to taking the test?
  • Does it cost money to take the test?
  • Once I get the certification, is that all I need to start using footage commercially?
  • If I'm within 5 miles of an airport, is the process really to fill out a waiver and I'll have to wait 60 days to actually be able to fly my drone?
  • Are there any other certifications that I need to use drone footage professionally?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. Here ya go...
  • Nope.
  • $150.00
  • Once I get the certification, is that all I need to start using footage commercially?
  • Yes
  • If I'm within 5 miles of an airport, is the process really to fill out a waiver and I'll have to wait 60 days to actually be able to fly my drone?
  • Contact ATC (air traffic control). Call the airport directly by phone to notify them of your intention to fly.
  • Are there any other certifications that I need to use drone footage professionally?
  • Part 107 is all you need. Be sure to register your drone online as well.

Welcome to the forums. Here ya go...
  • Nope.
  • $150.00
  • Yes
  • Contact ATC (air traffic control). Call the airport directly by phone to notify them of your intention to fly.
  • Part 107 is all you need. Be sure to register your drone online as well.

Hey, here is the FAA site that explains everything you need to know about part 107

Becoming a Pilot

Once you are ready to take the test contact CATS the FAA testing center. (Make sure to know how to read sectional charts and take some practice test) They will take your information, schedule the test day with the test center of your choice and take your payment. (CATS| Drone Knowledge Test)

If you are within 5 miles of a class B, C or D airport you must apply for a waiver on the FAA site. ATC should tell you that any way. They say give them 90 days before your flight. I got my class D waiver in 36 days so it looks like they are speeding up the process. There are some instances where you will be in class G airspace but within 5 miles of a small airport or helicopter pad (like an emergency hospital pad) From what I have heard from the FAA they suggest letting the operators of the airport or pad know before you fly but you do not need a waiver. It's all about what airspace you are in which the test will help you to find out. You can also use the app B4ufly but I find it laggy and it crashed a few times.

I found the test pretty easy and interesting look into the realm of commercial airspace.

Good luck! Fly safe

Thanks! So it does still seem like I need to get a waiver before flying in the city rather than just calling? That's a bit of bummer!

Yea, in my preliminary research for the company, before part 107 came into effect, it looked like all we would have to do is call but the FAA decided otherwise. It does stop some grumpy ATC personal from just saying no to us without any probable cause , just because he hates drones.

Also, be aware of flight restrictions due to presidential visits and other special reasons. Stopped us from having to work on the weekend one time though.

My concern is that where I live there is one major airport and then it seems like there are smaller airports all over the place. Is the 5 mile rule the same for all airports? Do they all require a waiver? I'm pretty shocked at the amount of areas that are blocked out because of airports I never knew existed.

If I'm within 5 miles of an airport, is the process really to fill out a waiver and I'll have to wait 60 days to actually be able to fly my drone?

False. You need a waiver to fly in restricted airspace.

There is no "5 mile" limit. The actual airspace you're flying in is all that matters. As you study for the 107 test, you'll become familiar with reading sectional charts and those will tell you everything you need to know about where you can and cannot fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143