DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First experiences with the Mavic

Oyinko

Reactions
Hi! New owner here!

Managed to fly it several times the past couple days and I have some questions or remarks.

1. I was unable to take off from Pier 14 in San Francisco because of too much interferences with the compass. While walking on the pier, I was able to see the interference gauge go from green to yellow to red and for most of the pier it was red. I'm not sure what caused the interferences as there is pretty much nothing around this pier. I also doubt that the metal guardrail of the pier was causing all this trouble?
  2. Today, while testing the POI interest mode. The drone started to fly sideway and for some reason, the camera got itself at an angle. I had to land the MavicPro and restart it. Does it happen often?
  3. When I decided to fly above water, I deactivated the downward VPS. No issue during the flight but when I put the drone close to the ground to land it, I put the stick down to land it and this resulted the drone to hit the ground at moderate speed. I was used to have the drone land automatically and slowly by putting the stick down and have it check the ground for obstacle first.... Something to keep in mind when you deactivated the VPS.
  4. I'm very surprised by the poor quality of the 1080p 60fps mode... I read several threads about it and it looks like there is nothing we can do.

The guard rail would absolutely cause issue with compass. Even reinforced concrete will cause issues because of the embedded rebar. Remember that flying next to or near large concrete structures will often end badly.

Just try to make it habit to turn VPS back on prior to landing and give it a moment.

Check your SD card. Make sure it is capable of writing fast enough to accommodate the amount of data that higher resolutions need. I run a 90mb/s card without issues.

Im still trying to get POI mastered, lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO