DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight Lasted 6 Seconds and Crashed

bangkokbeast

Reactions
Hey Guys,

I took my mavic out this morning just to get it in the air for the first time in front of my house. I took off and it immediately started spinning fast and out of control with no stick input so I shut the motors off and it crashed. I had 14 satellites and was flying in beginner mode. Controller had no indication of any errors and I checked everything before it started up. I see the flight record on my DJI Go app and want to post it here to see if anyone could help me out but I am not sure how to do it. I tried looking at DJI Assistant but when I load the file there is no info. It is also 900MB. Can anyone help me out, I need to use this for a job and am scared to take it out again.

Thanks

If you'd like to share your flight log, upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

Ahhh I remember my first time.. did you do any calibrations prior to taking off for the first time?

I can't tell by looking at the log, but on the DJI GO App you can playback the flight and it shows no stick input, it starts spinning and then I finally shut it down.

Hey Guys,

I took my mavic out this morning just to get it in the air for the first time in front of my house. I took off and it immediately started spinning fast and out of control with no stick input so I shut the motors off and it crashed. I had 14 satellites and was flying in beginner mode. Controller had no indication of any errors and I checked everything before it started up. I see the flight record on my DJI Go app and want to post it here to see if anyone could help me out but I am not sure how to do it. I tried looking at DJI Assistant but when I load the file there is no info. It is also 900MB. Can anyone help me out, I need to use this for a job and am scared to take it out again.

Thanks
Was your drone spinning clockwise? It looks like it was spinning clockwise in the log.

I don't know what to say. It looks like your drone got confused. Try re-calibrating the compass. Maybe also re-calibrate the IMU and see if that fixes your issue.

Reactions: bangkokbeast
I don't know what to say. It looks like your drone got confused. Try re-calibrating the compass. Maybe also re-calibrate the IMU and see if that fixes your issue.

Yep, it was spinning clockwise. How can you tell by looking at the log? What app are you using?

I would've calibrated the compass before flight. how far did it travel before getting to you, I'm guessing youre in Bangkok by your name? Even that is a little ways from where it was made.

Reactions: bangkokbeast
Generally right out of the box, you should calibrate the controller inputs to ensure joystick movements are good and don't go haywire! Seen posts before where people have had similar problems, then controller cal fixed the issue.

I am is Los Angeles, I looked at the DJI GO App and it shows 0 input from the controller when it started spinning, so it seems like it just spun on its own. Also, it did get up and hover for almost a second and then flipped out. I will do all the calibrations and see if that helps. Thanks for your help guys.

I'm using a program called CSV View. It's a great tool if you can understand what it generates.

So why do you think it happened? It seems like there weren't any errors, but it just strarted spinning for no reason. It was spinning in a pretty tight circular pattern so it wasn't just spinning it was moving up and down and sideways. Really weird without any inputs. I'm honestly too spooked to try it again.

So why do you think it happened? It seems like there weren't any errors, but it just strarted spinning for no reason. It was spinning in a pretty tight circular pattern so it wasn't just spinning it was moving up and down and sideways. Really weird without any inputs. I'm honestly too spooked to try it again.
I couldn't see any errors either. I'm guessing the IMU needs calibration. Re-calibrate the compass and IMU and try over a grassy field.

Ill do it tomorrow, winds have picked up a little and I don't want any other complications. What if this happened like 100 ft up or over water? Not really instilling the most confidence in me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair