DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight......no longer a Mavic virgin!

Rangerdave

Reactions
Well....... it happened!
Woke up this morning and couldn't hear any wind outside (it's been terrible here in the UK this week) so grabbed my phone and checked UAV Forecast and got a green light with 10-15mph winds!
Got all my kit together and drove a short distance to some open countryside, did a quick check that all was good, and pressed "that button"......up she rose and sat there looking at me, the compulsion to zoom it off into the distance was hard to control, unlike the Mavic!
Much quieter than I expected, even after watching pretty much every video on the tube, and although the wind increased twofold the higher she went, the Mavic handled it very well, and I couldn't have been more impressed!
The first "RTH" was about 10' off (which was a bit strange!) and the next was spot on, apart from that all went smoothly, BUT, in my haste............. I forgot to hit record, Doh!!
Lucky we went when we did, as the heavens opened once more and am now back indoors with a big grin on my face!
Happy times!! :)

Take it slow and get used to everything before you go off on any 2 mile journeys. No more fly-away/pilot error posts. Lol...
Also in the UVA Forcast settings you can change the wind speed gauge to give you the wind speed at different altitudes which is very handy. I've got mine set to give me wind speeds at 350 feet AGL. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Rangerdave
Well....... it happened!
Woke up this morning and couldn't hear any wind outside (it's been terrible here in the UK this week) so grabbed my phone and checked UAV Forecast and got a green light with 10-15mph winds!
Got all my kit together and drove a short distance to some open countryside, did a quick check that all was good, and pressed "that button"......up she rose and sat there looking at me, the compulsion to zoom it off into the distance was hard to control, unlike the Mavic!
Much quieter than I expected, even after watching pretty much every video on the tube, and although the wind increased twofold the higher she went, the Mavic handled it very well, and I couldn't have been more impressed!
The first "RTH" was about 10' off (which was a bit strange!) and the next was spot on, apart from that all went smoothly, BUT, in my haste............. I forgot to hit record, Doh!!
Lucky we went when we did, as the heavens opened once more and am now back indoors with a big grin on my face!
Happy times!! :)

Congratulations. I know how nerve wracking the first flight can be. Mainly because of all the Fly Away videos and posts. As for forgetting to turn on the record button, welcome to the club. I missed my first flight but have since recorded all the others.

Rob

Take it slow and get used to everything before you go off on any 2 mile journeys. No more fly-away/pilot error posts. Lol...
Also in the UVA Forcast settings you can change the wind speed gauge to give you the wind speed at different altitudes which is very handy. I've got mine set to give me wind speeds at 350 feet AGL. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

Thankyou, just found that in UAV Forecast, very handy!
Might I pick your brain?
Have been going through the settings in DjiGo4 after much research online, and there doesn't seem to be an option for centre focus on C1 or C2 buttons like I've seen a lot of guys use, maybe DJI have omitted it with their latest update and inclusion of auto focus?

Congratulations. I know how nerve wracking the first flight can be. Mainly because of all the Fly Away videos and posts. As for forgetting to turn on the record button, welcome to the club. I missed my first flight but have since recorded all the others.

Rob

Thanks Rob, and that's after watching lots of others on Youtube forgetting and thinking to myself "there's no way I'm going to do that!" Ha ha!!

Glad to hear... enjoy every chance you can, but don't let that make you careless.

Broke my cherry, JOINED THE FIRST FLIGHT CLUB at 4PM EST. After calibrating compass and IMU this am, got my batteries recharged, got my act together, drove a short distance to some open ground, 20acre (cranberry bog), LIT THAT BABY UP (in Beginner mode) followed directions I got on this GREAT forum, bit the bullet and flew.
OMG what a chill. solid as a rock. Not me the bird. Another 20 or so flights and maybe the jitters will subside. RTH started but I overrode it when wasn't hitting the mark. Brought it in cause my hands got cold.
LOV THIS THING [Thou shalt not put false gods before ME} careful Jerry
But I do love Mavic

Rob
Robby cool "CAT" video

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000