DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight! Obstacle Avoidance 1/2 working?

Strafe1

Reactions
I flew for the first time today and it was a blast! Wide open park, sunny, and 45 degrees F. I calibrated the compass before flight, updated firmware/software, and all other parameters were in the green. 19 satellites as well. I got comfortable with the controls and tested several functions, including several of the flight modes and RTH. Everything worked as advertised!
My first test with obstacle avoidance wasn't deliberate, the mavic stopped as I was heading directly towards the sun. I had read about this and this didn't surprise me. I decided to try to fly the mavic towards me as another test. I moved perpendicular to the sun and flew the mavic towards me at head height, in P mode, and at around 5mph. It wouldn't stop! I tried it several times, same result. I tried flying towards a short pine tree, same result. Looking at the iPhone sensor warning bands, I thing it was in the yellow, but distance said 13 feet when it was really more like 5 feet. All stickers are off the sensors. Is this a sensor calibration issue?
Thanks for your replies!

Last edited:
I'm assuming you have all the obstacle avoidance turned on in the app?

I have found the Mavic get VERY close before it will stop (like only a couple of feet).... on my Phantom 4P it stops way further away... like 10 feet...

Did you re-calibrate?.... I have never had to, but I believe there is a function for those sensors to be calibrated?

I did not. I turned on the horizontal avoidance sensors and when I flew today it seemed to work, albeit only about 3 feet from me! Perhaps its speed dependent.....when traveling faster, maybe it stops sooner, allowing for breaking time. I'll test it again in future flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters