DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight questions..?

Paul Dawson

Reactions
Hi guys,
Just a couple of observations after my first flight....
Firstly... freaking awesome!! I've flown some inferior drones, but nothing comes close to this experience! Such control - it instantly leaves you somewhat at ease as it waits patiently for your next instructions.
I flew around a little at my camp site, but noticed some things that I thought may be worth mentioning to see if it was me or a bug with the drone. This was always in P mode.
It would sometimes say there was strong interference - but I wasn't near anything I could see.
It didn't always indicate it had recorded a home position when it auto took off. Then it would not always perform a precision landing. Also, I tested the forward vision sensors by flying it toward me at my head height and it braked very late (2 - 3 feet away) from my head and rather abruptly, like it only saw me at the last minute. I thought it would sense objects at a 15 metre distance and then start to slow down.
This message would always precede the final descent of Smart Return to home "Descending - exited visual avoidance system". Just wondering if it was normal for the sensors to switch off when the Mavic started to descend?

Sent from my SM-G900I using MavicPilots mobile app

Forward vision sensor are not working well if no sufficient light, could be the cause of your problem?

Yep - here's the thing..
I can duck when the Mavic is flying relatively slowly, trees can't.
My point was that the breaking happened suddenly and very late - and it was bright sunlight. Just doesn't add up to the supposed avoidance distance quoted.

Hi guys,
Firstly... freaking awesome!! I've flown some inferior drones, but nothing comes close to this experience! Such control - it instantly leaves you somewhat at ease as it waits patiently for your next instructions.
I flew around a little at my camp site, but noticed some things that I thought may be worth mentioning to see if it was me or a bug with the drone. This was always in P mode.
It would sometimes say there was strong interference - but I wasn't near anything I could see.
It didn't always indicate it had recorded a home position when it auto took off. Then it would not always perform a precision landing. Also, I tested the forward vision sensors by flying it toward me at my head height and it braked very late (2 - 3 feet away) from my head and rather abruptly, like it only saw me at the last minute. I thought it would sense objects at a 15 metre distance and then start to slow down.
This message would always precede the final descent of Smart Return to home "Descending - exited visual avoidance system". Just wondering if it was normal for the sensors to switch off when the Mavic started to descend?

Hi
I'd wait for it to record it's home position before taking off. Then you'll be good to go, never take off before it's recorded it's home position, it might cause you problems later. It's also a good indication of a quality satellite lock.
It is normal for the oa to switch off during a smart rth descent, don't worry about it.
As far as OA is concerned, if you're feeling brave and you want to test it properly, you need to be further out. Get it out thirty metres or so away from a wall or other solid object and approach it in tripod mode. Just make sure it's switched on obviously, and in proper daylight.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: cheekymonkeyman
If the remote make vibration and you see the line in the screen
So the system is working ..
But you need to know never trust electronics 100% .

Sent from my SM-G900F using MavicPilots mobile app

I've flown mine a couple of times and ive noticed my screen will say home point recorded but i don't get a verbal comfirmation.. Should i be worried its not fully recording its home point?

Sent from my LG-H820 using MavicPilots mobile app

Hi guys,

The obstacle braking takes speed into consideration. So when going slowly the braking function starts late. You don't need to 'test' this flying at things, you can see in GO that it is detecting - and you can be quite sure it will take action on time.

I've flown mine a couple of times and ive noticed my screen will say home point recorded but i don't get a verbal comfirmation.. Should i be worried its not fully recording its home point?

Sent from my LG-H820 using MavicPilots mobile app

As long as something (text or voice) tells you the home point has been recorded, you're fine. And after that,if you hover for 4 seconds at about 30 feet directly up, it can even land within a foot or so of where it took off when you return it to home.

If you just want to check, then note the "Distance" number on your controller's screen- if it increases when you fly away from your launch point, and decreases close to 0 when you go toward it, that's confirmation of where your home point is.

Reactions: thatguy0329
I take off and hover about 10feet or more above my Home point for 30 seconds at least , this allows the downward avoidance cameras to take images of the take off point for a later landing. Also, camp site to me means trees, trees block satellites

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

This is all great stuff guys - I had a ball using it for the first time. When I got over my initial fear of "am I gonna destroy it on my first flight", I was amazed at how on control I felt with this machine! I wish though that there was an in depth write-up (manual) covering every aspect of this machine - as there is a lot left out by the manufacturer. For example, I didn't know that video was cached locally on my phone until the controller said that videoing had ceased because the cache was full. Still - I love this bird, it's all I dreamed it would be and more..!

Maybe I missed it in the replies above, did you pull off the little clear plastic film on the front sensors?

Hi RM
Yeah, I did do that...
Maybe it's a calibration issue?
Just on that - I CANNOT get the DJI Assistant software to look at all like it's picking up my Mavic on the screen. All it does is present me with 3 pages of a Tutorial about how to calibrate. No matter how I position the Mavic, it never registers on the screen.

for the vision sensors you have to put it as shown in the picture and let it set for several seconds and the light in the back will flash and the controller will vibrate. If you did that try resetting your settings and start over. I'm no expert and new myself, but that is what I would do. I youtube'd the heck out of as many calibrations as I could find, took the methods, and applied them. Hope that helps.

Ok - that's interesting, as I didn't connect the controller to the Mavic while trying to calibrate, didn't think the instructions suggested that - so there you go.

One of the ways you can be assured that you recorded the home point is let it take off for you, Using the auto take off button on the left. It'll go up about 5 feet and automatic record the home Before takes off. Then take it up to 35 feet or so and let it get a visual of what it looks like below.

Yup you could do that, I'm just one of those people who would never leave the ground at all before getting a home point lock.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio