DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight with iPad Mini 4 today...

Peregrine

Reactions
Today was the first outing of my new iPad Mini 4. Wow!! What a step up from using the Samsung S6! For the first time, I was able to conduct a flight and see all of the ground details nicely laid out beneath the Mavic. Consequently, I don't feel that I wasted many opportunities. It was also nice to have the extra image options that IOS allows. And to have a screen that is big enough to not seem cluttered with icons and info is a dream.

Previously, using the Sammy, I always struggled to try to determine clearance distances to objects, and my height over the terrain. And would always come home and review the footage, and then kick myself as I saw all of the missed opportunities that weren't apparent from the video feed on the phone. Happy to say that those days have gone.

The only slight fly in the ointment, is that I have one of the newer remote controls, that doesn't accommodate the iPad. So I had to purchase a 3D-Print solution of ebay. It does a good job of holding the iPad securely, but makes control tricky as it partially obscures the remote. I will probably have to fashion something myself, as I'm not too happy with the current configuration.

All-in-all though, I'm a happy bunny. If anyone is sat on the fence about splashing out on an iPad, I would heartily recommend that they hesitate no further. It has really opened up the potential for my Mavic.

Just for the record, I did own some DJI Goggles for a short spell, before anyone suggest I should try them. And, whilst they were great for the "experience", I didn't feel as much in control of my recording options as I am without them. Nope. It's the iPad all the way for me from now on :):)

Today was the first outing of my new iPad Mini 4. Wow!! What a step up from using the Samsung S6! For the first time, I was able to conduct a flight and see all of the ground details nicely laid out beneath the Mavic. Consequently, I don't feel that I wasted many opportunities. It was also nice to have the extra image options that IOS allows. And to have a screen that is big enough to not seem cluttered with icons and info is a dream.

Previously, using the Sammy, I always struggled to try to determine clearance distances to objects, and my height over the terrain. And would always come home and review the footage, and then kick myself as I saw all of the missed opportunities that weren't apparent from the video feed on the phone. Happy to say that those days have gone.

The only slight fly in the ointment, is that I have one of the newer remote controls, that doesn't accommodate the iPad. So I had to purchase a 3D-Print solution of ebay. It does a good job of holding the iPad securely, but makes control tricky as it partially obscures the remote. I will probably have to fashion something myself, as I'm not too happy with the current configuration.

All-in-all though, I'm a happy bunny. If anyone is sat on the fence about splashing out on an iPad, I would heartily recommend that they hesitate no further. It has really opened up the potential for my Mavic.

Just for the record, I did own some DJI Goggles for a short spell, before anyone suggest I should try them. And, whilst they were great for the "experience", I didn't feel as much in control of my recording options as I am without them. Nope. It's the iPad all the way for me from now on :):)
The newer remote? Are there multiple versions of the remote out there?

Reactions: 4wd
As far as I know, the newer version is just a bit smaller in reach. I don't think there are any other differences, but don't hold me to it. I had no idea of this when I first bought the iPad, and only found out when my iPad wasn't even close to fitting. A bit of googling led to the discovery. Hence the 3D-printed Holder purchase.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Having been through the "iPad Mini 4 Doesn't Fit The Remote Controller" myself, with the Spark Remote - it just takes some faith to make it fit both the Mavic and Spark Remote. Head over to the DJI Spark section and look through the threads of the last week or so and you'll find evidence of the fitment procedure.

The iPad Mini 4 does fit both the Mavic AND the Spark Remotes, without any modifications.

80B2A23C-E771-4C39-9143-329E85945CFD_zpswasa7o65.jpg

Good Flying

I followed youtube "how to" videos, and am well aware of it being a tight-fit, and how to achieve it. However, without taking a Dremel to the arms on my Remote, I can assure you that it's not close to fitting. And I'm not prepared to force the arms so far that they snap.

I followed youtube "how to" videos, and am well aware of it being a tight-fit, and how to achieve it. However, without taking a Dremel to the arms on my Remote, I can assure you that it's not close to fitting. And I'm not prepared to force the arms so far that they snap.
I'm on the sidelines lurking during this conversation, as I'm waiting until finances allow next month to pull the trigger on a mini 4 -- for the same reasons (fed up with crappy Android performance of GO4).

So I'd really like to understand this, as I was blissfully believing it would fit. Would you mind posting some pictures showing what the fitment problem is, so I can compare to my own RC and understand if I have the problem before I shell out hundreds for a product from a company I despise to begin with? :p

Thanks in advance!

My iPad fits in my (one week old) controller just fine? No bending of anything Thumbswayup

Weird!

Back on topic though, I've never even tried flying using a phone, I'd probably only ever do it if I somehow forgot my iPad!

My iPad Mini 4 fits into my original mavic controller with no dremmeling or cutting. I must admit, the first time I put it in there, it WAS a tight fit, and I was afraid I was going to snap the arms off. But if you ANGLE the padded portion of the arms out as far as possible, and then spread the arms as far as you can, it does fit, and it gets easier each time you do it after that. (Still fits very snugly though).

I doubt that DJI would suddenly start making a new RC unit that is too small to hold the iPad Mini, but I guess stranger things have happened.

I've tried using my Galaxy S7 phone a few times since owning the iPad Mini 4, and it stinks. Once you get used to the large display on the iPad, there is no going back. It is SO MUCH better. And the iPad Mini 4 has never crashed or locked up once, whereas the Galaxy S7 still crashes at least once per flight when I use it.

I can't say with any certainty that there definitely WAS a Remote revision, as I'm only regurgitating what I've read elsewhere. And, somewhat annoyingly, I'm buggered if I can find the thread again. I'll have another tentative go with the iPad tomorrow, and see if I can't fit it without breaking something. It's a shame that DJI didn't design the Remote to properly accommodate the iPad, as it's clearly only dogged determination, and throwing caution to the wind that is enabling folk to fit it in there.

I'm on the sidelines lurking during this conversation, as I'm waiting until finances allow next month to pull the trigger on a mini 4 -- for the same reasons (fed up with crappy Android performance of GO4).

So I'd really like to understand this, as I was blissfully believing it would fit. Would you mind posting some pictures showing what the fitment problem is, so I can compare to my own RC and understand if I have the problem before I shell out hundreds for a product from a company I despise to begin with? :p

Thanks in advance!

If my attempts fail tomorrow to wedge the iPad in, then I'll take a few snaps :)

I returned my DJI goggles as I felt as if I wasn't in control too plus the lenses fogged up after a few minutes.
Ipad mini 4 is all you need really. I agree totally with you on the Samsung

I've just got a brand new mavic and the iPad mini 4 although snug fits fine. It does however ache my hands a bit after holding it a while. I've just got an aluminium ipad holder that fits in the arms and it's much more comfy and works great.

I moaned about that on the subforum and was shouted down. I agree it's annoying! :mad:

I think it would be reasonable for them to offer some sort of discount with verified purchase...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo