DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Long Range Test Flight

Ditch_Dr

Reactions
Here's my attempt at a long range flight, had high winds (flying at 400 feet from the top of a small mountain?),
it made a little over 3 miles before RTH automatically kicked in.

The bad news is that 5,000 feet from home, the battery died and it went into forced landing, I was able to guide it to a safe spot and lost connection about a foot off the ground, no damage to the bird. We were able to find it using google maps to locate the landmarks...

Sorry for the lack of editing, I used the Go pro software which doesn't allow for frame cuts. The ending of the video is some of the guys I ride with so you can skip that if you want... LOL

I kept reading reviews that say they can get over 4 miles away, but my picture started getting choppy at around 1.5 miles away in direct line-of-sight. I also read that it will get up to 40 miles per hour, but I am topped out at 30 mph. Is there a mode setting I am missing to unlock greater speeds?

Also, what was your battery level before you took off?

Reactions: HiVac
I also read that it will get up to 40 miles per hour, but I am topped out at 30 mph. Is there a mode setting I am missing to unlock greater speeds?

To get up to 40, enable "Multiple Flight Modes" in DJI GO. Then, when you move the switch on the side of your controller from "P" to "S" your controller will say "SPORT MODE" which makes it a lot more sensitive to controls.

Braking distance increases and forward obstacle detection turns off in Sport, but VPS sensors remain on.
If you lose the connection with your Mavic in Sport mode, it'll automatically return to regular GPS mode with obstacle detection enabled if you had it enabled already. (It sounds like you have your OA off if you're getting 30mph without Sport mode.)

With Sport mode, the only way you can be going full-out and only get 30mph is to be going into a pretty stiff headwind.

I'm measuring my speeds from the controller's display, not that lying DJI GO of course. :)

I'm just new to the Mavic. Been flying the Phantoms for a while. I took my Mavic out this morning ,first long flight and was not getting anything over 23mph. found out need to turn sensors off. I'll be back out tomorrow. Did make it out to 11,000 with no problem just slower. and at 56 feet high. that is nuts best I was able to do with my phantom was 75 ft. It's all flat with some small trees ( maybe 20 ft tall)..

I kept reading reviews that say they can get over 4 miles away, but my picture started getting choppy at around 1.5 miles away in direct line-of-sight. I also read that it will get up to 40 miles per hour, but I am topped out at 30 mph. Is there a mode setting I am missing to unlock greater speeds?

Also, what was your battery level before you took off?
I'm still testing but mine has go 4.7 miles with weak signal. This all stock.
enjoy. I did speed the video up by 3 it was a 19 minute flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll