DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First thread, any NoVA flyers here?

Jkrew

Reactions
Hey gang,

New pilot here. I'm looking to get some time in while working outside the D.C. ring of death. Anyone want to fly this week/weekend?

Looking to fly in either Baltimore, Silver Spring or horse country VA.

New NOVA pilot here too. I found a spot (with the support of the community here) located at Fountainhead Regional Park. I'm out of Alexandria so it was about 30 minutes, but not a bad drive and it's a free park.

If you're interested, I may be stopping back at the park this Saturday.

I am curious though, have you flown yet in Baltimore? Any legal issues? It's a little far for me but I'd like to check it out sometime.

I posted this reply to another thread.

On Northern Virginia area flying you can head west of Leesburg 15-30 minutes to Shepherdstown (The Rumsey Monument), Hamilton and Waterford. Waterford has the Quaker Cemetery and the Union Cemetery. The cemeteries are interesting spots but you should take great care not to disturb anyone visiting nor allow your drone to hit a headstone (be respectful).
The Rumsey monument location is next to the river and a train trestle.
In all cases the B4UFly app indicated no flight restrictions in those locations at the time.

New NOVA pilot here too. I found a spot (with the support of the community here) located at Fountainhead Regional Park.

As I've been looking for a suitable place for a Mavic Pilot Meet-Up I've been doing some measuring of good looking places and have been bummed out by my findings.
Unfortunately Fountainhead is inside DC's 30 mile bubble.
That new expansion really sucks! It's great that you've got the community support there, but the feds may not be as accommodating. It really is getting VERY hard to find nice places to fly around here.

I posted this reply to another thread.

On Northern Virginia area flying you can head west of Leesburg 15-30 minutes to Shepherdstown (The Rumsey Monument), Hamilton and Waterford. Waterford has the Quaker Cemetery and the Union Cemetery. The cemeteries are interesting spots but you should take great care not to disturb anyone visiting nor allow your drone to hit a headstone (be respectful).
The Rumsey monument location is next to the river and a train trestle.
In all cases the B4UFly app indicated no flight restrictions in those locations at the time.
Shepherdstown! Now you're getting out in my neck of the woods. I'd like to check out the area if you find yourself headed out there again.

Shepherdstown! Now you're getting out in my neck of the woods. I'd like to check out the area if you find yourself headed out there again.

I looked it up...I will be visiting there soon!

I was in Maryland today...I headed over to Chesapeake Beach and got some great shots. BUT, it was windy today!

As I've been looking for a suitable place for a Mavic Pilot Meet-Up I've been doing some measuring of good looking places and have been bummed out by my findings.
Unfortunately Fountainhead is inside DC's 30 mile bubble.
That new expansion really sucks! It's great that you've got the community support there, but the feds may not be as accommodating. It really is getting VERY hard to find nice places to fly around here.

I'm out in Bristow.

As for the bubble, it actually got a bit smaller for UAS use.

"Effective February 10, 2016 at 12:01AM, UAS operations will be permitted to operate in the outer ring of the SFRA, which is 15 to 30 miles from Washington DC. Manassas Regional Airport (HEF), which operates a Class D airspace, resides within this outer ring. Information regarding new operating procedures can be found through the revised NOTAM (Notice to Airmen)."

Reactions: Rensyo
I'm out in Bristow.

As for the bubble, it actually got a bit smaller for UAS use.

"Effective February 10, 2016 at 12:01AM, UAS operations will be permitted to operate in the outer ring of the SFRA, which is 15 to 30 miles from Washington DC. Manassas Regional Airport (HEF), which operates a Class D airspace, resides within this outer ring. Information regarding new operating procedures can be found through the revised NOTAM (Notice to Airmen)."

DavidNDC is right. Just read about the radius being reverted a couple weeks ago in the Washington Post. But I do want to check out other areas, if for any other reason, diversity.

Last edited:
New NOVA pilot here too. I found a spot (with the support of the community here) located at Fountainhead Regional Park. I'm out of Alexandria so it was about 30 minutes, but not a bad drive and it's a free park.

If you're interested, I may be stopping back at the park this Saturday.

I am curious though, have you flown yet in Baltimore? Any legal issues? It's a little far for me but I'd like to check it out sometime.

Be careful at Fountainhead, remote control aircrafts are prohibited in Fairfax County parks. If you cross into Prince William County you shouldn't have any trouble flying at the parks there. The only PWC park I have had an issue at was Occoquan Regional. One of the park employees told me they didn't allow drones in the park. I had reviewed the parks rules and regulations prior to flying there which did not mention anything about remote control aircrafts or drones. After telling that to the employee and offering to review the rules and regulations with him on my phone he just drove away without saying anything else. I also learned you can't fly in a majority of the State Parks and Wildlife Refuge's around here. The last bit of advice I have that someone told me was although it is prohibited to take off or land in these areas, they don't control the airspace above their parks. As long as you aren't flying over any groups of people you should be fine flying over a park.

Went out to Purcellville, VA and flew a little along Skeeter Lake and Franklin Park. The lake was scenic but access was not very convenient with parking at the end of a couple of neighborhood cul-de-sacs. There were small barns on the opposite side and is tree lined to the lake edge all along it.

The park was better with more convenient parking and being able to walk around a small lake. Because it is cold-ish there were very few people at the park and none at the lake. That is likely very different in the summer.

Something that I did learn was that holding the controller the entire time will make your hands pretty cold in the winter without some kind of gloves which might not be very convenient.

I just went to Maryland this AM to Jackson Landing and Selby's Landing
Could not really fly there...

Be careful at Fountainhead, remote control aircrafts are prohibited in Fairfax County parks. If you cross into Prince William County you shouldn't have any trouble flying at the parks there. The only PWC park I have had an issue at was Occoquan Regional. One of the park employees told me they didn't allow drones in the park. I had reviewed the parks rules and regulations prior to flying there which did not mention anything about remote control aircrafts or drones. After telling that to the employee and offering to review the rules and regulations with him on my phone he just drove away without saying anything else. I also learned you can't fly in a majority of the State Parks and Wildlife Refuge's around here. The last bit of advice I have that someone told me was although it is prohibited to take off or land in these areas, they don't control the airspace above their parks. As long as you aren't flying over any groups of people you should be fine flying over a park.

Thank you for the tip. I used primarily AirMap and it was listed in their "clear" zone. Good to know though.

I'm near Haymarket, off Route 15. It's pretty deserted out here.

I've been flying from my backyard. About 100 flights so far.

We're surrounded by trees in most directions, so my minimum altitude is about 120 feet.

I've taken the Mavic up to 500 meters without a problem. No air traffic or anything around here.

I've been shooting a lot of panoramas. Some of them are planar (like aerial mapping).

This is where I am -77.61266999999999,38.900589,117.5315735 - I'm on Little River Road.

It's been too cold and windy to fly the past week or so, and still waiting for the snow to melt.

I'm in Md....20 mins over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. In Dunkirk, Md. I fly from my back yard. Anytime you guys want to fly let me know and we can get these things airborne in my area.

Springfield, VA over here, definitely looking for people to fly with as I have no idea what I am doing. Just purchased it yesterday and haven't even flown it yet, but I am headed to Phuket, Thailand and Bali, Indonesia tomorrow. Hope I do not lose this thing....

I come back on the 30th of May and would be down to meet up.

Springfield, VA over here, definitely looking for people to fly with as I have no idea what I am doing. Just purchased it yesterday and haven't even flown it yet, but I am headed to Phuket, Thailand and Bali, Indonesia tomorrow. Hope I do not lose this thing....

I come back on the 30th of May and would be down to meet up.

I'm in Haymarket (not in the town) up Route 15. Very rural out here and you can do pretty much whatever you want. I fly from the field behind my house. You're welcome to fly here.

Also bon voyage, and have a good time on your trip.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom