DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First thread, any NoVA flyers here?

Just bought my Mavic last week and did my maiden flight over New Orleans. Now that I'm back in Alexandria I have no idea where to fly since I'm 4 miles away from DCA and B4Ufly has no fly zones everywhere. Any recommendations? I'm looking for other pilots as well if anyone wants to fly during the weekends.

Just bought my Mavic last week and did my maiden flight over New Orleans. Now that I'm back in Alexandria I have no idea where to fly since I'm 4 miles away from DCA and B4Ufly has no fly zones everywhere. Any recommendations? I'm looking for other pilots as well if anyone wants to fly during the weekends.

I'm in the boonies, probably about 30 miles west of you. I'm off of Route 15, south of Route 50. I fly from the field behind my house. You're welcome to fly here.

Reactions: arken86
Hello, I'm in the Dulles bubble. Anyone operate near me? I've been flying in a field near by but would love to explore more if I can. Having to call Dulles every time before operating gets a little old.

Reactions: AKline
I'm about 6 miles west of Dulles, so no problems flying here.

When you call Dulles, who do you talk to, and what do you tell them?
--
Hidden views -- Discoveries from my drone - - Art from the Air - -
Oh cool maybe we can meet up! I call airport operations and the ATC ( you need to call both before operating in the bubble). The numbers I got from a friend who flies out of Dulles. However I noticed AirMap has the same numbers listed for them. When I call I tell them my name and that I will be operating within a 5 mile radius of the airport with my drone. They will ask for your name, address of where you are operating, altitude that you wish to operate at (suggest 300ft, they get squirrelly if higher), time of operation start and time of end of operation. Depending on who you get you will have to call ATC once you stop operating to let them know. Very friendly and professional folks at Dulles, takes seriously filing the plan. Now you see what I mean that it gets a little tiring [emoji1] .

Oh cool maybe we can meet up! I call airport operations and the ATC ( you need to call both before operating in the bubble). The numbers I got from a friend who flies out of Dulles. However I noticed AirMap has the same numbers listed for them. When I call I tell them my name and that I will be operating within a 5 mile radius of the airport with my drone. They will ask for your name, address of where you are operating, altitude that you wish to operate at (suggest 300ft, they get squirrelly if higher), time of operation start and time of end of operation. Depending on who you get you will have to call ATC once you stop operating to let them know. Very friendly and professional folks at Dulles, takes seriously filing the plan. Now you see what I mean that it gets a little tiring [emoji1] .

I wonder what will happen when several hundred people a day start calling them.

Where are you flying from, relative to Dulles?

If you look at my earlier messages in this thread, you'll see where I'm located.

--
Will the FAA stop regulating hobby drones? - - Art from the Air - -

Down in Woodbridge, VA and about to move down to Stafford, VA. Small pockets of clean airspace but not much of it is that exciting. I just practice my control of the drones each day.

Hi guys! My hubby and I are new to the drone scene and looking for a place to fly. With all the rules, we've been a bit paranoid! Anyone have suggestions for places near the Bristow area?

Thank you in advance! [emoji4]

I should be receiving my Mavic tomorrow from Amazon. I spent all day looking for a good place to fly and learn the basics, but alas I havent been able to find a plce to fly close by. Im in Arlington, within spitting distance of DCA. Has anyone been over to Cedarville State Forest near Waldorf, MD or Sandy Point State Park near Annapolis, MD? I really want to find somewhere closer...

I fly down in the West side of Fredericksburg. Only warnings I get are from the Stafford Regional Airport, but its just a caution.

I should be receiving my Mavic tomorrow from Amazon. I spent all day looking for a good place to fly and learn the basics, but alas I havent been able to find a plce to fly close by. Im in Arlington, within spitting distance of DCA. Has anyone been over to Cedarville State Forest near Waldorf, MD or Sandy Point State Park near Annapolis, MD? I really want to find somewhere closer...
I was at Sandy Point last week. I'm still early in my learning process so my video is not very interesting. I think the park could provide some good footage. Would love to meet there any time.
I'm in Silver Spring.

I'm in Haymarket (not in the town) up Route 15. Very rural out here and you can do pretty much whatever you want. I fly from the field behind my house. You're welcome to fly here.

Also bon voyage, and have a good time on your trip.

Hey tkinva, not sure if you're still in Haymarket, I live here too, ( across the street from piedmont golf course) do you know if drones are allowed at James Long Park?

Thanks!

Hi Naz,

Still here.

I don't know about James Long Park. There are some really secluded areas if you walk far enough away from the parking areas. You might be able to fly from the soccer fields when there is no game going on. I don't think there are any signs forbidding drones, and others supposedly use the fields for kites and model airplanes

I'm north of you, off of Logmill road. I fly from the field behind my house.

I take it you're flying a Mavic.

Reactions: Naz
Hi Naz,

Still here.

I don't know about James Long Park. There are some really secluded areas if you walk far enough away from the parking areas. You might be able to fly from the soccer fields when there is no game going on. I don't think there are any signs forbidding drones, and others supposedly use the fields for kites and model airplanes

I'm north of you, off of Logmill road. I fly from the field behind my house.

I take it you're flying a Mavic.

Thank you for the reply!

Yes its the mavic, love it so far, even got some cool filters, let me know if you ever want to fly together! I can't find many drone users around here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder