DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time seeing this flight warning!

RickL

Reactions
I was testing sport mode today and I got the error - Battery: over current during discharge.

e8f0754f05c5c3055058c169a0280164.jpg

Anyone seen this before or know if it's something I should worry about?

Rich

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Sometimes if you fly WOT into the wind or for a long period you will get that warning, so if you do you need to slow down, or you run the risk of battery voltage dropping low enough to shut off, and we all know what happens then :eek:

Yes, I have seen that before when it sport mode pushing it as hard as it would go. No problem. Just back off a bit.

I got this message today when flying in sports mode as well. I didn't pay enough attention to the warning. Probably the stress on the motors were to high. Flying in light fog and minus 2 degrees c caused some ice to build up on the rotors. Suddenly I lost most trust and the Mavic startet to wobble heavily while decending way to quickly, but not like a free fall. The altitude was only about 5 meters when the incident happened. Luckily the quad hit ground level. But the impact force was enough to make on rotor bend down hitting the outer shell (while still rotating), just above the left front facing obstacle sensor. The force was enough to brake of the tip of the rotor and to make a small crack in the shell. Also the motors had a slight "hot" smell to them after the impact.

The crack was very fine so I ingested some superglue using a needle and applied superglue activator to harden.

I guess I was lucky. No other damages or dents was discovered. All system checks and calibrations succeeded without errors afterwards. Also the gimball and camera seems to function 100%.

fae20b156c9d5a79d76b7b7dafd54f41.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Reactions: RobP62
Now you know why you should avoid icing conditions like the plague. Cold by itself is not the problem, but cold and fog and high speed propellers equals ice. The propellers lose lift, the motors speed up to compensate... the cycle continues until something gives and you fall from the sky. It sounds like the Mavic valiantly tried to keep it level so you ended up with a hard landing. You were very lucky.

I was testing sport mode today and I got the error - Battery: over current during discharge.

e8f0754f05c5c3055058c169a0280164.jpg

Anyone seen this before or know if it's something I should worry about?

Rich

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Yes I have noticed this also. Mostly sport going fwd and climbing at the same time. It is not right. The craft should be able to run WOT in any condition or they should limit the craft with software.
See my short video here. Voltage and temperature looked fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobP62 and RickL
Voltage and temperature looked fine.

If it is an over current issue, voltage readings wouldn't show that, would they? I agree that the Mavic should limit itself, but without a reading of the current draw, I wouldn't say that the error is incorrect.

Reactions: RobP62 and RickL
If it is an over current issue, voltage readings wouldn't show that, would they? I agree that the Mavic should limit itself, but without a reading of the current draw, I wouldn't say that the error is incorrect.
Exactly my point. That's why I recorded the battery screen. I can replicate it easily on both my batteries. Yes all are up to date and they were purchased separate

Reactions: RickL
So basically if this error comes, simply pull back to P mode and hover a bit ?

Yes, that's right.

It is hard to believe this condition isn't being prevented by software, either in the firmware, or optionally via a user setting in the app. In the Pixhawk world for example, there is a setting to limit max current, so something like "over current" never happens.

--

Bill

FLying in the fog like SKyrider mentioned is a big no no..I had an experience with my P3P flying in the fog for less than 5 mins and I didn' trealize even though it was above freezing on ground level, at 300 feet it was below zero . When I landed my Phantom was 1 big icicle, soooo lucky it didn't drop like a brick..People want to get these beautiful fog shots, like me. Just find an opening where there is no fog and fly above or below otherwise look out for problems. Sure if its not cold enough for freezing, remember ton of humidity in a fog bank, it will be soaked.

I'm fully aware that I was lucky [emoji3]. And I'm also little embarrassed that it didn't strike me that ice could build up on those small propellers. Simple physics, and I should have thought of the possible consequences. I hope the story can remind others to consider the flying conditions. Fly safe, stay happy!

Sent fra min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

The craft should be able to run WOT in any condition or they should limit the craft with software.

Yes, it should back off automatically. If they can throw a warning, they can limit the speed too.

This is a good read..

lately i have been doing some hard race quad style flying in sport mode as to test its maneuvering capabilities at speed but I am yet to encounter this or any error messages. And by flying it hard I mean stupid hard. Putting it to the edge of it's capabilities without any breaks for air. She's a beast, workhouse, slutty sex machine i think you guys just got ones with bugs maybe cuz they were'nt made in the latest manufactured batches cuz seems majority issues are from earlier runs imo

This is a good read..

lately i have been doing some hard race quad style flying in sport mode as to test its maneuvering capabilities at speed but I am yet to encounter this or any error messages. And by flying it hard I mean stupid hard. Putting it to the edge of it's capabilities without any breaks for air. She's a beast, workhouse, slutty sex machine i think you guys just got ones with bugs maybe cuz they were'nt made in the latest manufactured batches cuz seems majority issues are from earlier runs imo

Could well be the case that's it's a batch thing. I would think that it's on the battery side rather than on the drone hardware itself.

Not seen the error again since and I've been hammering it. The only 2 differences is that it's not been as cold and chances are I've been using another battery.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

What was the temperature (air temp)?
Temperature is not a factor as I am in Fl and it was low 70's when I usually fly and get my error. I got a new battery yesterday and I will push that one to see if the error persists

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22