DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fishing with a Mavic

JFH52

Reactions
I want to carry a fishing lure and line out to sea a mile or so. Any thoughts on how I could engage a release?

Google "fishing with a Mavic" and you will get a bunch of listing for posts o this forum as well as YouTube videos.

Reactions: Sdt09
There is the pattern for a 'maze' on thingiverse that you hang underneath the drone (it looks like the snakes & ladders, or donkey kong game) pitch left and right a few times for it to drop out.

It is probably listed for a phantom but the idea would work the same for Mavic

I could be wrong (someone else better at math than me can chime in) but a lure, even a light one, and a mile of mono-filament being drug along the water surface or through the air might present some performance challenges for your Mavic. I'd definitely do the math before finding out the hard way.

Reactions: CoolBreeze
If you hit full altitude first before flying out, you'd minimise the amount of line touching the water. Probably also want to not have the spool freely spinning, but have some light tension so it doesn't immediately spoil out and sag to the water.

We just use one on the line release clips that are using on the trolling spreaders. Hook it on, fly out, no need to go high, with modern thin line there is little resistance. Once at the spot just pull up. Give the line a tug, the drone will pull back against you, it will release, fly home.

Reactions: stuart kaynes
curious, do this actually work? I mean really? --honest question

curious, do this actually work? I mean really? --honest question

How do you think it works? you fly a drone out with you sinker and bait, or lure and drop it in the water, and fly the drone back..

Advantages, you can get a lot further out, if you are injured or unable to cast, it still allows you to fish in these locations.

We have done it for ages with Phantoms and now a Mavic. Mavic is good as its small and you can throw it in your fishing backpack if you are climbing or descending to fishing locations.

Reactions: GravityIsRelentless
I want to carry a fishing lure and line out to sea a mile or so. Any thoughts on how I could engage a release?

In order to carry 1,760 yds of fishing line you would need to consider the weight of the fishing line and the drag that will be created as it is dragged out to where you want to place your Lure or "bait".

Know this: monofilament fishing line creates tremendous 'drag' forces - and depending on the "pound test" of that line - you would need to use extremely light line (4 lb. test or lower) to even go out 100 yds.

Spectra - or braided fishing line is extremely light and strong and would be (in my opinion) - your choice of use for maximizing distance and minimizing drag of carrying out fishing line towards a favorable 'drop point' for your lure or bait.

It has always been a 'dream' of mine to have a drone that could fly out a 'live baited' line. However - my needs and wishes in doing so involves only a few hundred feet or so - and certainly not a mile.

I have be going on long range fishing out of San Diego, California since 1974 and have chartered a 7-day long range trip for the last 26 years on the Royal Polaris.

One of more 'lucrative' methods of fishing that generally yields 'big fish' (100+ lb Yellowfin Tuna) is by 'Kite Fishing'. (Google it...). In essence : it carries the bait much further away from the boat and enables you to dangle or place your bait further up the 'current' line. (Note: currents tend to flow counter to wind direction).

Deep Sea fishermen know that having favorable currents is key towards 'getting bit' - and placing your bait into right spot of the current line equates to more bites - more bites - more chances of catching fish!

The way I see it: regardless of the drone type (Mavic Pro or other) - you would need to have a QUICK RELEASE that could be activated by the person flying the drone. It appears there are more then a few 'servo actuated' mechanisms seen on EBay that would fit this need...it appears that you would need to have it attached to a power source on your drone and also be able to trigger it from your drones controller.

To date: after attending the 2017 CES (Consumer Electronics Show) I know of only TWO outside companies that were exhibiting drones that could do this. Both types are 'water proof'. Example : see www.powervision.me this company was also showing a submersible drone that allowed you to also photograph your bite as it dangles the bait in front of its camera - lol. The other company I found on the 'interweb' after looking for 'fishing drones'.

There is a USA based company that is on kickstarter that is trying to come out with a standard looking drone but is water proof and has 'exchangeable' modules (camera,fish finder,bait drop mechanism) that you would 'switch out' on the bottom of the drone. It appeared you could actually land it onto the water as well. It's called an Agua Drone.......

Anyway - I know your original thought was in regard to having the Mavic Pro - fly out your lure. I would have to say that I would not recommend using the Mavic Pro to do this. (I did see the 3-D printed 'maze' that involves rocking or 'wagging' your drone back and forth in order to drop the fishing line.).

IF and I say IF you use this method - then I would HIGHLY recommend that it be done with the drone and fishing line CLEARLY in sight 100% of the time - AND if the fishing line is attached to a fishing rod NOT being tended to by yourself - then be doggone sure that this person understands the need to keep their fishing reel in 'free spool' - until YOU tell them to do something different!

Would I use my Mavic Pro to 'fish with'? Probably - if DJI were to come out with a fishing accessory attachment that I could activate with the controller. However - the chances of that happening is well.....slim to none. (And I bet on 'none').

Last edited:
Reactions: RubiconRolo
In order to carry 1,760 yds of fishing line you would need to consider the weight of the fishing line and the drag that will be created as it is dragged out to where you want to place your Lure or "bait".

Know this: monofilament fishing line creates tremendous 'drag' forces - and depending on the "pound test" of that line - you would need to use extremely light line (4 lb. test or lower) to even go out 100 yds.

Spectra - or braided fishing line is extremely light and strong and would be (in my opinion) - your choice of use for maximizing distance and minimizing drag of carrying out fishing line towards a favorable 'drop point' for your lure or bait.

It has always been a 'dream' of mine to have a drone that could fly out a 'live baited' line. However - my needs and wishes in doing so involves only a few hundred feet or so - and certainly not a mile.

I have be going on long range fishing out of San Diego, California since 1974 and have chartered a 7-day long range trip for the last 26 years on the Royal Polaris.

One of more 'lucrative' methods of fishing that generally yields 'big fish' (100+ lb Yellowfin Tuna) is by 'Kite Fishing'. (Google it...). In essence : it carries the bait much further away from the boat and enables you to dangle or place your bait further up the 'current' line. (Note: currents tend to flow counter to wind direction).

Deep Sea fishermen know that having favorable currents is key towards 'getting bit' - and placing your bait into right spot of the current line equates to more bites - more bites - more chances of catching fish!

The way I see it: regardless of the drone type (Mavic Pro or other) - you would need to have a QUICK RELEASE that could be activated by the person flying the drone. It appears there are more then a few 'servo actuated' mechanisms seen on EBay that would fit this need...it appears that you would need to have it attached to a power source on your drone and also be able to trigger it from your drones controller.

To date: after attending the 2017 CES (Consumer Electronics Show) I know of only TWO outside companies that were exhibiting drones that could do this. Both types are 'water proof'. Example : see www.powervision.me this company was also showing a submersible drone that allowed you to also photograph your bite as it dangles the bait in front of its camera - lol. The other company I found on the 'interweb' after looking for 'fishing drones'. There is a USA based company that is on kickstarter that is trying to come out with a standard looking drone but is water proof and has 'exchangeable' modules (camera,fish finder,bait drop mechanism) that you would 'switch out' on the bottom of the drone. It appeared you could actually land it onto the water as well.

Anyway - I know your original thought was in regard to having the Mavic Pro - fly out your lure. I would have to say that I would not recommend using the Mavic Pro to do this. (I did see the 3-D printed 'maze' that involves rocking or 'wagging' your drone back and forth in order to drop the fishing line.).

IF and I say IF you use this method - then I would HIGHLY recommend that it be done with the drone and fishing line CLEARLY in sight 100% of the time - AND if the fishing line is attached to a fishing rod NOT being tended to by yourself - then be doggone sure that this person understands the need to keep their fishing reel in 'free spool' - until YOU tell them to do something different!

Would I use my Mavic Pro to 'fish with'? Probably - if DJI were to come out with a fishing accessory attachment that I could activate with the controller. However - the chances of that happening is well.....slim to none. (And I bet on 'none').

Just had a look at the Powervision system, £299 for a battery, they are hopeful!!
Looks OK, I guess that's into professional gear for the Eye. The rest is still silly money.

Good luck with that!

To date: after attending the 2017 CES (Consumer Electronics Show) I know of only TWO outside companies that were exhibiting drones that could do this.

There is already someone selling a powered quick release for the Mavic Pro . I'd have to search and find it again but it clamps around the battery area and ties in to one of the front LED lights to activate from the controller .

EDIT : Here it is .
Gimbal-Guard

There is already someone selling a powered quick release for the Mavic Pro . I'd have to search and find it again but it clamps around the battery area and ties in to one of the front LED lights to activate from the controller .

EDIT : Here it is .
Gimbal-Guard

Oh my !!

Thank you so much for this information!!

(I MUST have this to play with and try!). I will post my results/impressions - and hopefully can use this on my August 2017 7-day Fishing Trip!

Again - thank you for this information - I bow deeply to you.[emoji3]

...and...Here it is! I am ordering one today!
020e34095c4ce72dde6d8fb1712ecc72.jpg

UPDATE:
Yes, I ordered the 'drop' mechanism for Mavic Pro. It operates a servo mechanism that hangs below the Mavic Pro. You have to ensure that you disable the sensors when using this. The servo/drop mechanism is activated via you re-programming the c-1 or c-2 button and works via a light sensor that attaches to and 'reads' your red led light on one of the front prop arms.

However, I found a website for an item called - "Agua Drone". This is a waterproof drone that can be landed and taken off on water. And is specifically designed to be flown around water. You can order different 'bottom mounted modules' for the drone: camera, fish finder, drop mechanism. Each module is separately priced.

I came to my senses and thought: buy this for my deep sea fishing trip and use THIS drone to 'fly' live bait out and away from the boat - NOT your precious Mavic Pro!! - duh............the Agua Drone is specifically purposes to be landed on water - the Mavic Pro is not - obviously.

So, I won't get delivery of the "Agua Drone" until June. It looks like the company is in the process of gathering needed "capital" before committing to full production....got my fingers crossed - since I paid in full for the unit, spare battery and servo drop module and will just have to trust the company and wait.......

I will however still use my Mavic Pro - but only in very limited situations and only for photo/video purposes ONLY - which is what it does best!

Last edited:
Reactions: rydfree
Yes, it works, and yes, there is a chance you could give your Mavic a bath.

Piece of advice...
I was recently drone fishing with a Phantom 3 standard, with the clothing hanger ẗechnique¨ and it all went well when using the fishing rod......
Unfortunately, my fishing rod was capable of winding only 200meters of line.... so I bought a large roll (1000meters) and without fishing rod, attached the line to the phantom and started unwinding directly from the roll.
The problem was that I did NO TENSION, so the wind moved the line and balanced it a lot... and eventually got caught up one of the proppellers.... and you know the rest... phantom swiming...

Having a Phantom before played with it a lot.
Few remarks
- limited weight it can carry not as suitable for sea fishing
- have the line in a reasonable distance low to avoid to tangle with props
- downward sensors off
Simple hook and loop with 180 deg turn&release worked well
Try to keep in the centre of gravity to run the motors evenly
As wilyga mentioned above keep the line always in slight tension
Good luck!

Reactions: BCMoto
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads