DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fixed Wing Mode Demonstration

AlanTheBeast

Reactions

He goes through some exercises, explaining it.

I'd like to know if one engages FWmode while flying fast(er) in Sport Mode will result in higher speed being maintained.

It would really be cool if they had a rate mode for the right stick (accel or decel then lock speed when the stick is neutral).

EDIT: The Manual Has Been Updated To V1.6 and includes "Fixed Wing" mode instructions.

Last edited:
So can you actually slow down by pulling the right stick back, or does it immediately exit the FW mode when you do this?

So can you actually slow down by pulling the right stick back, or does it immediately exit the FW mode when you do this?

I tried this yesterday; it will slow the aircraft down. If you pull the stick all the way back and hold it for a second or so, then it exits FW mode.

It accelerates and slows very gradually when you're adjusting the speed.

Hmm, I understand it exited the mode, I still think that this mode was designed for fpv goggles.

That's what I thought I read in the manual and I was expecting it to exit FW mode but it didn't.

I just looked at my flight log and it showed it accelerating and decelerating during my FW mode flight.

I'm wondering if my setup is wrong or the manual is.

That was his conclusion. I don't think he explored this to the full extent possible. Someone in another thread, for example, has used it in Sport more (and found the gimbal shakes a lot - near upper pointing limit I believe).

That was his conclusion. I don't think he explored this to the full extent possible. Someone in another thread, for example, has used it in Sport more (and found the gimbal shakes a lot - near upper pointing limit I believe).

I noticed the camera shake too. It seems like the gimbal is "locked" in position.

I also noticed the rotor blades in view quite a bit.

I imagine some of this can be fixed with a firmware update.

Fixed-Wing Mode
The aircraft will fly forward automatically at a certain speed after entering Fixed-Wing Mode.
Push the left stick up to ascend and down to descend.
Push either stick left or right to rotate the aircraft.
Pushing the right stick up will accelerate and pushing down will exit Fixed-Wing Mode.
In the DJI GO 4 app, tap the icon and enable Fixed-Wing Mode.
Push the right stick up until the C1 icon appears, then press the C1 button on the remote controller to enter Fixed-Wing Mode.
Push the right stick down for 3 seconds or press the C2 button on the remote controller to exit Fixed-Wing Mode.
Push the right stick up until flight speed reaches 3m/s or more to enter Fixed-Wing Mode. Do
not move the sticks in any other direction.
Flight speed cannot be reduced while using Fixed-Wing Mode. You can only push the right
stick up to accelerate. Pushing the right stick down will exit Fixed-Wing Mode.
Other Intelligent Flight Modes and Portrait Mode are disabled when using Fixed-Wing Mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I noticed the camera shake too. It seems like the gimbal is "locked" in position.

I also noticed the rotor blades in view quite a bit.

I imagine some of this can be fixed with a firmware update.

The rotor blades in view, no. In effect the body is pitched nose down and the gimbal nose up to point at the direction of flight so the blades will be in view (absent clever s/w that removes them from the video, IAC).

If the the gimbal is at limit up travel but is still trying to make yaw corrections, then it might explain that instability in the gimbal. That could be fixed in f/w.

A question: i searched in the menus but didn't find....maybe i'm missing something: ok to use C1 to enter fixed wing but i would like to be able to configure C2 for something else (center focus), is it possible?

Bunny, I didn't need you to quote the full instructions, we all have already read them. I was trying to get a pilot to confirm what happens when you pull the right stick back, as the instructions are ambiguous. Apparently my suspicions are correct.

Reactions: woesch
i am disappointed, i wasn't able to do barrel rolls and loops :(
You're surprised by that? It imitates a plan, but it's still not a plane. Doing a barrel roll will most certainly crash the Mavic. Loops will result in too many crashes by inexperienced pilots.

A question: i searched in the menus but didn't find....maybe i'm missing something: ok to use C1 to enter fixed wing but i would like to be able to configure C2 for something else (center focus), is it possible?

C1/C2 maintain their settings (that you set) until FW is invoked using the GO App. When you exit FW mode, then C1/C2 revert to their original settings (eg: pop up exposure settings).

Reactions: ryo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121