DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fixing my Mavic gimbal

Attex

Reactions
Hi everyone,
I wanted to do this to hopefully help others and just to make notes basically. I am for sure a rooking with this and am learning... So far this is what I learned about the Mavic Pro.

First, I am still doing it but with great caution but DO NOT fly it in the house! That is where my problem started

Second the gimbal cover does not guaranty the gimbal is safe! I had it on and it came off in the crash.

Third, DJI uses the gimbal ribbon that controls the motors in the gimbal as a limiting strap? The gimbal must of hit something and forced it to move further then normal and it ruined the ribbon. I read someone is trying to design some other limiting strap for them so I wish him luck and Great Idea!

Anyways I removed the ribbon today and put it back together and still getting a gimbal motor overload error. I hope its because its not moving anything and not because something else is wrong. I can still get videos and pictures its just bouncy and I cant control the gimbal.

Also noticed a motor wire is cut. Very strange? Must of been put together that way? Sorry if picture is bad I had to make it smaller or something because I kept getting an error trying to upload it.

Now I am waiting for part to fix it. It cant be purchase from DJI so finding a used/parts Mavic is the only way right now to get the Ribbon.

View media item 258

Reactions: AbangKidal
Well Im not just replacing the ribbon but the whole gimbal/camera assembly. I purchased one from thunderdrones. He is shipping it out tomorrow.

The gimbal cover should always be taken off when flying. Also the gimbal lock plastic piece should always be taken off.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Surfside7
Rubbish Elvis. Officially from dji fly with clear dome on

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Flying with the dome effects the airflow to the internals and many believe doing so frequently will affect the long term reliability of the aircraft. I would take anything andart says with a grain of salt. Do a quick search of his posts...

Now now that's rude.
Dji officially say to fly with dome . Landing and removing for fantastic picture less hassle than returning drone as the gimbal ripped off buy a stray branch .
It has a slot for air flow in the dome .
Why would it be clear with a black cover to add to protect from scratches .
Now I posted because you told some one not to fly with it on , which is bad advice .
I'd love you to search my posts as most are asking for help . The only two things that constantly annoy me are people telling you to calibrate compass and to not fly with gimbal cover .
Most problems are caused by calibrating compass .
Older dji drones needed regular compass calibrations but the mavic has moved on .
You are told never calibrate unless asked to do so .
Any slight variation on compass info and GPS and imu will confuse the drone and lead to anything from a slight drift to sudden 10ft corrections .
Now what posts are you suggesting that I've made .

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Not sure why anyone would take serious pics or video with the dome on. Cheap plastic in front of your camera lens , and in a non linear fashion to boot. Maybe ok if just flying with using the camera?

I feel like my sweet little rebuild of my mavic gimbal thread has been high jacked by a bunch of little kids. If you feel you want to use it, use it. If you dont, dont. I dont care. I will or will not use it as I please also.

So back on topic...
Any update. Did you replace the gimbal assembly yet? Did it work? Was it difficult?

I got the new gimbal/camera in a day earlier then expected! Thank you usps! And thunderdrone! I got it in but didnt record any of that but it works good. Oh I broke a rule and started it in the house today. Poor propellers! Why cant I just listen to my own rules!!! The dog is bleeding a little but hopefully she learned her lesson too and leave it alone. It was dark. Hopefully tomorrow has no rain and I can try it out better.

Reactions: jointeffort
Replacing it is actually real easy just be patient is the only thing. Some of the connecters are glued in with the silcone like stuff is the hard part. Not hard but slow and careful trying not to ruin an thing else. Patients! (why I paid an extra 200 for a used one to get it quicker and why I keep flying it in the house. NOT!!) lol. I seem better at the repairing. Just be careful/take your time and its all easy.

So today I was messing with camera tilt up and down and noticed it a bit jerky and when sometimes when I would go up and then down it seem to bind some. Camera would stop and then jerk down. After looking at it closely a ribbon was getting caught. It was looping up and not back. I re-position it and it works great now. So if anybody has that issue check it out. I had the tilt up 30% adjustment on. And I did get one gimbal overload error messing with it after I noticed it.

Also I keep trying to do a vision positioning calibration with dji assistant 2. It wont let me. I dont know why. Keeps saying reboot aircraft. Anybody have that issue? I rebooted it i dont know how many times and also put in a fresh battery too just in case.

Reactions: jointeffort
I put my original memory card back in the drone and the gimbal overload message went away

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000