DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flies Great- Video SUCKS! Need help!

jrsmart121

Reactions
After months of research I got my Mavic for personal projects, one coming up on Tuesday. The issue is I did my first flight which went WAY better than I thought. Love how it flies. Very intuitive.

I noticed the video was very jittery and jumpy...(and I see blades in the motion shots) but I thought is was just the wireless transfer but I just pulled out the card and it's identical.

Can someone please tell me what the deal is? I had ideal weather conditions and this was all within 200 yards.

How in the world can the video be this jerky compared to everything I had seen in research? What can I do to improve immediately?

After months of research I got my Mavic for personal projects, one coming up on Tuesday. The issue is I did my first flight which went WAY better than I thought. Love how it flies. Very intuitive.

I noticed the video was very jittery and jumpy...(and I see blades in the motion shots) but I thought is was just the wireless transfer but I just pulled out the card and it's identical.

Can someone please tell me what the deal is? I had ideal weather conditions and this was all within 200 yards.

How in the world can the video be this jerky compared to everything I had seen in research? What can I do to improve immediately?
Check out the gimbal plate. Make sure it is under all three tabs, do a search and you will find a video. Sometimes the plate shifts in transportation. Also check your micro sd card and reformat.

Reactions: Timbooo
Can you post a video? Have you removed all the stickers from the gimbal?

Seeing the props in the video is not normal. This only happens if filming directly ahead and using full speed in sports mode (usually). Not in sports mode I have never been able to see the props (that is with not setting the extra travel in the gimble).

Can you share a short stretch if video for us to have look?

Also what settings are you recording in?

I apologize but I deleted them and can't find in recycle bin to upload. I'll try again tomorrow.

You might need to calibrate the camera / sensors. Should be done in the factory but you always need to re-calibrate a new bird.

Reactions: jrsmart121
It's difficult to tell without seeing some of the footage but make sure you removed the gimbal lock.

Also, if the camera is actually in the shadow of the props, you see them. It looks like the propellers but it's caused by the combination of the frame rate and those shadows cast on the camera. If you look online you see many places sell gimbal shades to combat this issue. I don't use one but I see some say the shade itself can end up in the shot when using.

Best is to make note of the sun and try to record where the shadow will not be cast across the front of the camera.

Oh another thing I had an issue with was recording in 4K and watching the video on a display that wasn't capable of displaying 4K content. I guess TVs and monitors have internal processing to scale down images that can cause parts of the image to look not correct, like for example straight lines to look pixelated. I bought a 4K display and then the videos look absolutely stunning.

auto calibrate the gimbal too, shoot in a resolution you can play back. My laptop struggles to play the high res video, it jerks and buffers etc. yet 1080 looks fantastic and plays smooth as anything even the livestream 1080 feed if you use it looks great on a laptop.

yet if i play 4k video on my Samsung straight from the SD card out the Mavic with a fast USB 3 card reader it looks great and my tv is not 4k

Honestly it could be so many things you really gotta try to narrow it down.

Prop shadows as said i only get either in sports mode or if i have the gimbal set for the extra 30 degrees.

If the AC is new to you and this is your first flight then it also takes a little time to get smoothly taken footage. My first videos were jerky as hell as my small finger shakes inputed to the Mavic. those sticks are very sensitive.

Reactions: JamieK

A few tips for smooth playback, use a ND filter,set ISO to 100, set shutter speed to twice the frame rate, Fly slow and smoothly. most importantly. Enjoy yourself.

Also, you can't play the videos from the card. You have to put them on a computer or another device. The video will be very choppy if you don't.

Went again today. Better but still some prop reflection etc. Any thoughts on how to get a better result. What about after I throw in final cut?

No - but that video looks like you are?
If so, you should not, it's not to be used for general filming, its more for protection when packed or when learning to fly if you are expecting a few heavy landings. If used for normal flying then you will get a reflection line across the screen much like I saw in that last video.

It does look like lens flare/reflection from the clear gimbal cover. Mine does that too when I'm flying sunny days with the cover.

It does look like lens flare/reflection from the clear gimbal cover. Mine does that too when I'm flying sunny days with the cover.

The video looks pretty good. Just like others have said, don't use the gimbal cover, especially in sunlight. It's catching the sunlight causing the glare we see. Like I posted earlier, they sell gimbal shades, I'm thinking of getting one myself, along with some ND filters.
Still a pretty nice video, beautiful area you're in.

Do you guys fly with the bubble on?
Get yourself some nd filters, that will help a lot with the shimmy and loss of detail. As others have said, you will get a better shot with the gimbal cover off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000