DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Simulator ?

Victor

Reactions
I see in the DJI Go app there is a flight simulator in the Academy. How does this work.? I (obviously) don't have my Mavic yet but wanted to try the simulator but I get a "Cannot enter Simulator" alert. Do you really need to be connected to the Mavic to simulate it?

At least with Phantoms the quad also has to be powered on, which was kind of a bummer.

Apparently DJI uses the actual flight controller in the connected craft for this. I have mentioned several times before that I, for one, would REALLY like to see a version of this (even if it has to be a basic approximation of the FC) workable without the aircraft.

It would see a lot more use, which would pretty much be a good thing for everyone. If I were them, I'd even try to work some competition into it (courses, time trials, networked leaderboard, etc) to develop actually meaningful skill...and I can't imagine they'd consider the increased eyes-on-app time a bad thing

We've always found it to be extremely odd that you have to be connected to the physical unit with it powered on in order to use the simulators in the DJI GO App. Really hope to they can figure out a workaround soon, Yuneec has done it so without a doubt DJI can!

Any comments from those who have their Mavics, and have used the simulator? Helpful?
Any video of the simulator in use?

Any comments from those who have their Mavics, and have used the simulator? Helpful?
Any video of the simulator in use?

Useful to get a feel of it but the camera angles weren't that good when you fly far ... only played with it a little bit ... maybe there is a way to adjust camera view

It's funny how they have warning signs as if you were actually flying the aircraft. I was scared at first to try it indoors as it made it look like it was actually going to take off

I see in the DJI Go app there is a flight simulator in the Academy. How does this work.? I (obviously) don't have my Mavic yet but wanted to try the simulator but I get a "Cannot enter Simulator" alert. Do you really need to be connected to the Mavic to simulate it?

You can buy a real flight simulator that will also teach you how to fly RC planes and helicopters as well as drones.

Phoenix R/C Pro Simulator V5.5 with DXe | HorizonHobby

Useful to get a feel of it but the camera angles weren't that good when you fly far ... only played with it a little bit ... maybe there is a way to adjust camera view

Would you mind explaining how you were able to pull up the flight simulator? Someone said that its in the DJI go app but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks

Would you mind explaining how you were able to pull up the flight simulator? Someone said that its in the DJI go app but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks
From the main log on screen click on the Academy icon at the top right, first icon is the flight sim. The controller and the Mavic must be powered up. (remove the props!! if indoors)

I find the simulator on the Mavic sucks big time. For what ever reason there is lots of lag and with no buildings or trees there is not much to do in it. It doesn't compare at all to other RC flight simulators. I don't even find it worth while. Your better off to take the mavic to a field and put it in beginner mode and practice.

Your better off to take the mavic to a field and put it in beginner mode and practice.

If you have the means, buy a smaller less smart drone that you can fly indoors, and practice. Get a Hubsan or even cheaper. If you can fly around your house with the micro drone, without all the smart leveling and obstacle avoidance and visual positioning, you will definitely be more confident with the Mavic. Note that the smaller the vehicle, the more squirrely and unstable and twitchy the controls are. It's like flying on expert sport mode all the time. The Mavic will be downright docile and serene by comparison.

Reactions: MadValley
I find the simulator on the Mavic sucks big time. For what ever reason there is lots of lag and with no buildings or trees there is not much to do in it. It doesn't compare at all to other RC flight simulators. I don't even find it worth while. Your better off to take the mavic to a field and put it in beginner mode and practice.
Are you running an android device with the simulator?

The simulator controls are laggy with the android version of the Go app on my Nexus 7, while it's nearly instantaneous response on iOS on my iPhone 7. So it seems the response lag may be an android issue, and it's ironic because apparently even DJI's own built-in display on the P4ProPlus controller (and likely the upcoming crystal sky displays) have latency issues too at least with the Go's simulator, as shown by this guy's review of the Phantom 4 Pro Plus - fast forward to 10:06. Crazy lag on the android version.

Well the Mavic still isnt available around where I live and a lot of stores just say "delivery time unknown" so I have given up on the mavic. Maybe in a year they will be in the stores.

If you have the means, buy a smaller less smart drone that you can fly indoors, and practice. Get a Hubsan or even cheaper. If you can fly around your house with the micro drone, without all the smart leveling and obstacle avoidance and visual positioning, you will definitely be more confident with the Mavic. Note that the smaller the vehicle, the more squirrely and unstable and twitchy the controls are. It's like flying on expert sport mode all the time. The Mavic will be downright docile and serene by comparison.

I have been flying nitro plans and heli's and started on quads a few years ago. I also use Real Flight and Phoenix simulators. I am experienced but thought I would try the sim.

What you said is very good advice. If someone has never flown a quad they should by a cheap quad to practice on, even a cheap syma without headless mode. There will be lots of people that crash into houses and trees with the mavic because they will not have the finger memory for the controls.

Reactions: hotte.surf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000