DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Simulator ?

Are you running an android device with the simulator?

The simulator controls are laggy with the android version of the Go app on my Nexus 7, while it's nearly instantaneous response on iOS on my iPhone 7. So it seems the response lag may be an android issue, and it's ironic because apparently even DJI's own built-in display on the P4ProPlus controller (and likely the upcoming crystal sky displays) have latency issues too at least with the Go's simulator, as shown by this guy's review of the Phantom 4 Pro Plus - fast forward to 10:06. Crazy lag on the android version.

Yes I am using a Nexus 6P. It works perfect otherwise with the DJI GO app.

Well the Mavic still isnt available around where I live and a lot of stores just say "delivery time unknown" so I have given up on the mavic. Maybe in a year they will be in the stores.

They want you to buy it through DJI and they have them in stock in Atlanta GA. It only took me 4 days to receive mine from GA to TX after payment clears.

From the main log on screen click on the Academy icon at the top right, first icon is the flight sim. The controller and the Mavic must be powered up. (remove the props!! if indoors)
Just got my Mavic four days ago, only one brief around-the-yard flight. Love the concept, but so far the documentation totally sucks. This is a prime example: how does one get into the simulator? Now I know. Thanks!

I saw an opportunity to get into the simulator go by early, when I wanted to check out whether I could control the camera first. I figured I'd have another opportunity at the simulator, but not so... At least, not so without knowing the magic incantations. The downloadable manuals are not much better, starting with the fact that it is not all that clear what a manual covers, at least not except maybe for the quick-start manual.

Oh, well. I can probably learn what I need to from groups like this.

Thanks again!

Mike (otherwise known as MechDoc02)

My 2 day old Mavic still on my desk, but I just used the flight simulator within the App. Basic, but it was helpful to learn the key stick controls and watch the display features before I venture outside.

For the maiden voyage, is it ok to do this indoors in beginner mode, or is it best to be outdoors?

My 2 day old Mavic still on my desk, but I just used the flight simulator within the App. Basic, but it was helpful to learn the key stick controls and watch the display features before I venture outside.

For the maiden voyage, is it ok to do this indoors in beginner mode, or is it best to be outdoors?
Start with beginners mode and outdoors. You'll be confident to go beyond very quickly

I agree that the built-in sim is a joke. DJI is coming out with a better one (it was cameo'd at CES in January), but when it will be released is anyone's guess.

I'll buy Real Flight 7.5 from my dealer later this week. I'll write a review after I've spent some time with it.

Now what if DJI worked a deal with Steam and worked out the flight controller signals to be fed into a PC or Mac USB port and be able to fly in game like competition online using your actual flight controller with other players flying simulated mavic pros that have laser burst cannons for death match or cooperative search efforts finding lost people in the forest and all sorts of other fun flying terrain maps and stuff. That would promote both DJI and Steam products, and could be incredibly addictive, while fine tuning and honing in your flying skills so masterfully while safely playing the game. Then you can be more in control when you fly and less likely to crash. I too, find the simulator with a straight path in grass not very engaging, besides no gimbal control of view. I'm sure there are so many new comers that are scared to crash their $1000 investment by not being too experienced on the flight controller.

Reactions: Garuda and effjaye
I read that DJI unveiled a prototype flight simulator at CES in February with realistic scenery, missions, etc. DJI responded to my email inquiry that the sim was being written by an outside developer, but offered no details. What if?

Reactions: Sparky
At least there Yuneec has the advantage with a simulator module. :( Oh well.
If you want to learn to fly try
Quadcopter FX Simulator - Android Apps on Google Play

It does not use your mavic RC

I find the DJI simulator of little use in comparison.

1. The map is too small
  2. There are no obstacles
  3. The size of the mavic is too small to see at 10m away
  4. The yaw feed back is too slow
  5. It does not reflect any customisation you do to the RC Gain and EXP

I used the Real Flight Drone Simulator it help me a great deal and its fun useing in the winter time

I kinda chuckled when I used the Mavic flight simulator however I'll admit I didn't spend much time with it. It does give you an idea of the controls and flight modes that seems to be confusing to first time users, so it has some value. I have other dedicated sims. The Phoenix 5.5 has a drone flight section that is somewhat lacking. Maybe they have a dedicated drone only program I haven't seen that's more realistic. RealFlight 8 is much better, and the mock model of the Phantom kind of works well, but having your hands on the real controller and operating system is something none of the aircraft sims have. There is nothing wrong with using the Mavic for a first time flight. Find a nice open space to fly in and take short steps to learn. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the menus and re-read the instructions. I'd suggest going out with somebody who owns and flies DJI products if you can. That's how I got into it.

If you wanna learn to fly in tight quarters, I'd say to purchase a small drone, just make sure it has altitude control (hovers w/o any stick input).

The Ryze/DJI Tello would be a great practice drone if they get the thing to work with an android compatible controller but even with the virtual joy sticks, it sure is similar in feel to my Mavic...even the flight screen is DJI like. If you're an apple user I wouldn't think twice about it.
On the cheap I really like the Heliway 903. About 40 bucks and it comes with the controller. The model with altitude control has similar stick movements to my Mavic. The nice thing is they are very small which makes them great indoors fliers compared to the larger cheapo's. Trying to knock an opponent out of the sky is super fun.

Last edited:
I kinda chuckled when I used the Mavic flight simulator however I'll admit I didn't spend much time with it. It does give you an idea of the controls and flight modes that seems to be confusing to first time users, so it has some value. I have other dedicated sims. The Phoenix 5.5 has a drone flight section that is somewhat lacking. Maybe they have a dedicated drone only program I haven't seen that's more realistic. RealFlight 8 is much better, and the mock model of the Phantom kind of works fairly well, but having your hands on the real controller and operating system is something none of the aircraft sims have. There is nothing wrong with using the Mavic for a first time flight. Find a nice open space to fly in and take short steps to learn. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the menus and re-read the instructions. I'd suggest going out with somebody who owns and flies DJI products if you can. That's how I got into it.

If you wanna learn to fly in tight quarters, I'd say to purchase a small drone, just make sure it has altitude control (hovers w/o any stick input).

The Ryze/DJI Tello would be a great practice drone if they get the thing to work with an android compatible controller but even with the virtual joy sticks, it sure is similar in feel to my Mavic...even the flight screen is DJI like. If you're an apple user I wouldn't think twice about it.
On the cheap I really like the Heliway 903. About 40 bucks and it comes with the controller. The model with altitude control has similar stick movements to my Mavic. The nice thing is they are very small which makes them great indoors fliers compared to the larger cheapo's. Trying to knock an opponent out of the sky is super fun.
The parrot Mombo is a nice one to fly in the house and you can fine them now for 99.00 with controller very stable just like the Tello i have both have controllers for both the controller for the Tello for ios phone is a Mad catz 36.00 works fine the Tello has a better camera and can be programed with a app call drone blocks for ios

If you’ve ever flown a drone, the simulator is useless imho.
If not, there are free flight simulator games in the App Store. (Probably in Android store I would guess)

I doubt you can use that with the Mavic RC though...
You are correct, you cannot use the RC controls.
However if you’ve never flown a drone, you will learn the basics..without mentioning the obvious up/down..etc.
Some people struggle with 8 different directions with 2 joysticks. I know I sure did, but at least for myself, it required very little time to adapt and then fly for real fun.
I LOVE my MA & goggles!
Good flying for all!

I have been flying nitro plans and heli's and started on quads a few years ago. I also use Real Flight and Phoenix simulators. I am experienced but thought I would try the sim.

What you said is very good advice. If someone has never flown a quad they should by a cheap quad to practice on, even a cheap syma without headless mode. There will be lots of people that crash into houses and trees with the mavic because they will not have the finger memory for the controls.

Would you mind explaining how you were able to pull up the flight simulator? Someone said that its in the DJI go app but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks
It is in the DJI app, however, you must had the rc, drone and app all connected. Instead of starting a flight, open the menu and select Academy. It is VERY basic. I tried it once and because it is very simplistic. Again I suggest buying a cheap drone and practice because...you WILL have a crash/crashes whether minor or major. (In fact I have a Force 1 U49W Blue Heron drone on eBay. Look for listing “MEGA BUNDLE”. It’s a very light (do not have to FAA register) simple drone to learn to fly. IMHO, it’s the best starter drone out there. I’m glad I bought the started drone because when I transitioned to my MA, I felt super comfortable and have not crashed my MA as yet. I think I just hexed myself! Please respond with any questions, I’m in this forum at least once daily.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000